PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple Ukes: How are they different?

Snargle
02-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Other than the obvious physical shape, are there any significant differences between conventional wasp-waisted ukuleles and pineapple-shaped? Sound? Volume? Playability?

I think they look cool, but have never played or handled one, so I'm reluctant to consider a purchase without more information (opinions?).

Mivo
02-13-2016, 03:28 PM
There are no drastic differences, other than aesthetic ones, but they do have a little more low end (possibly a tiny bit more sustain) due to the body shape. Some players mentioned in previous discussions that they found it harder to hold (more slippery), but I didn't notice this with mine. I believe that wood and construction impact the sound more than the shape.

Here's a video by someone else that I felt was well done (proper testing conditions):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xlzw7YXgBs

I enjoy mine also for being different, and that it doesn't look like a small guitar. When people ask me about my ukes, it's the pineapple they are curious about (and what instrument it is). :)

janeray1940
02-13-2016, 03:33 PM
I've had both figure-8 and pineapple Kamaka sopranos at the same time. I kept the pineapple and sold the figure-8 because between the two, I preferred the pineapple sound: louder, fuller, more resonant, and as Mivo noted, possibly a bit more sustain.

strumtheory
02-13-2016, 04:49 PM
There are no drastic differences, other than aesthetic ones, but they do have a little more low end (possibly a tiny bit more sustain) due to the body shape. Some players mentioned in previous discussions that they found it harder to hold (more slippery), but I didn't notice this with mine. I believe that wood and construction impact the sound more than the shape.

Here's a video by someone else that I felt was well done (proper testing conditions):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xlzw7YXgBs

I enjoy mine also for being different, and that it doesn't look like a small guitar. When people ask me about my ukes, it's the pineapple they are curious about (and what instrument it is). :)

Ta for that Mivo. Makes me want to buy that Koa Pili Koko Pineapple right now.

Rakelele
02-13-2016, 09:38 PM
In addition to what has been said, the pineapple shape might give a little more punch, but take away some focus. To me, holding is only a problem with tuning, as the headstock drops while I balance the uke on my leg. Anyway, with its specific look, the pineapple might be the 'Ultimate Ukulele'.

kypfer
02-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Other than the obvious physical shape, are there any significant differences between conventional wasp-waisted ukuleles and pineapple-shaped? Sound? Volume? Playability?

I have two soprano pineapples, a Mahalo and a TNA, both laminate "economy" models.

I bought the first just to try it out. I found that, probably due to the larger physical capacity of the body, compared to a "figure-8" instrument, there was more bass response when fitted with "low-G" strings, specifically Aquila "reds".

When I became aware of the concept of tuning a ukulele in 5th's, like a mandolin or fiddle, the Aquila "reds" were replaced with a set of Aquila "5th's", knowing the body would respond well with the wound low-G string in this set.

So now I had an unused set of Aquila low-G "reds" ... just had to get another ukulele to fit them on ... can't let good strings go to waste ;)

Conclusion :

Looks cool 'cos it's different ;)
Plays better than an "economy model" conventional ukulele with a low-G setup.

One last thing ... they can be slippery little brutes, due to their shape ... a strap helps even more on a pineapple than it does on a standard ukulele.

Enjoy :)