Pineapple Ukes: How are they different?

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Other than the obvious physical shape, are there any significant differences between conventional wasp-waisted ukuleles and pineapple-shaped? Sound? Volume? Playability?

I think they look cool, but have never played or handled one, so I'm reluctant to consider a purchase without more information (opinions?).

There are no drastic differences, other than aesthetic ones, but they do have a little more low end (possibly a tiny bit more sustain) due to the body shape. Some players mentioned in previous discussions that they found it harder to hold (more slippery), but I didn't notice this with mine. I believe that wood and construction impact the sound more than the shape.

Here's a video by someone else that I felt was well done (proper testing conditions):

I enjoy mine also for being different, and that it doesn't look like a small guitar. When people ask me about my ukes, it's the pineapple they are curious about (and what instrument it is). :)

I've had both figure-8 and pineapple Kamaka sopranos at the same time. I kept the pineapple and sold the figure-8 because between the two, I preferred the pineapple sound: louder, fuller, more resonant, and as Mivo noted, possibly a bit more sustain.

There are no drastic differences, other than aesthetic ones, but they do have a little more low end (possibly a tiny bit more sustain) due to the body shape. Some players mentioned in previous discussions that they found it harder to hold (more slippery), but I didn't notice this with mine. I believe that wood and construction impact the sound more than the shape.

Here's a video by someone else that I felt was well done (proper testing conditions):

I enjoy mine also for being different, and that it doesn't look like a small guitar. When people ask me about my ukes, it's the pineapple they are curious about (and what instrument it is). :)

Ta for that Mivo. Makes me want to buy that Koa Pili Koko Pineapple right now.

In addition to what has been said, the pineapple shape might give a little more punch, but take away some focus. To me, holding is only a problem with tuning, as the headstock drops while I balance the uke on my leg. Anyway, with its specific look, the pineapple might be the 'Ultimate Ukulele'.

Other than the obvious physical shape, are there any significant differences between conventional wasp-waisted ukuleles and pineapple-shaped? Sound? Volume? Playability?

I have two soprano pineapples, a Mahalo and a TNA, both laminate "economy" models.

I bought the first just to try it out. I found that, probably due to the larger physical capacity of the body, compared to a "figure-8" instrument, there was more bass response when fitted with "low-G" strings, specifically Aquila "reds".

When I became aware of the concept of tuning a ukulele in 5th's, like a mandolin or fiddle, the Aquila "reds" were replaced with a set of Aquila "5th's", knowing the body would respond well with the wound low-G string in this set.

So now I had an unused set of Aquila low-G "reds" ... just had to get another ukulele to fit them on ... can't let good strings go to waste ;)

Conclusion :

Looks cool 'cos it's different ;)
Plays better than an "economy model" conventional ukulele with a low-G setup.

One last thing ... they can be slippery little brutes, due to their shape ... a strap helps even more on a pineapple than it does on a standard ukulele.

Enjoy :)

Top Bottom