Is my little Kalea safe during this time of year in her new hard case?

Cassie

Reaction score
First of all, Happy valentines day to all on UU. I want to make sure that my little kala is safe for this time of year. i don't know what kind of wood it is but my cousin says it's some kind of dark wood. I got a new case for it for Christmas. Unfortunately, I don't have a humidifier. I wish I did though. Our house is warm and sort of dry.

I would definitely purchase (or make) and use a humidifier for your uke, particularly if it's a solid wood instrument. They're not that expensive and are considerably cheaper than repairing a damaged or destroyed ukulele. Do a google search for "DIY guitar humidifer" and you'll find a bunch of articles on making your own.

You can also place a small orange in your case, as long as it fits okay. If it's a laminate uke, don't worry, laminates seldom have any troubles with the weather. Yes, your case is the best place.

Happy V-day Cassie!

Any small plastic container with a lid can easily be transformed to a humidifier. Drill/punch a few holes in the lid and put a regular damp household sponge in it and you are good to go.

Any small plastic container with a lid can easily be transformed to a humidifier. Drill/punch a few holes in the lid and put a regular damp household sponge in it and you are good to go.
I used to use a small sponge inside a plastic travel soap dish with a few holes drilled in it in my guitar case. A big pill bottle would work well, also. Basically, anything that can hold and release moisture without dripping or leaking water.

Cassie in your NUD post you said your uke was a Kala soprano and your cousin said it cost $50.00. That would mean it is an all laminate body. The great thing about laminate is that it is not effected by humidity changes like solid woods. I own both solid and laminate ukes and I don't do anything about keeping the laminates humidified like I have to do with the solid wood ones.

If you keep it in it's hardcase you will be just find. I live in Canada where it gets very dry in the winter and I leave my Gretsch tenor all laminate uke out in the open propped up in a chair and ready to grab.

It's important to remember that even if an instrument is laminate, it probably does have solid wood braces inside of it. Those braces can be effected, so damage can still occur if the instrument isn't taken care of properly. Plus, laminates aren't indestructible..
The only instruments I know of that don't need any kind of humidity control are made of carbon fiber, ekoa, polycarbonate or some other forms of plastic. With anything else, you're risking damage by not taking some care.

It's important to remember that even if an instrument is laminate, it probably does have solid wood braces inside of it. Those braces can be effected, so damage can still occur if the instrument isn't taken care of properly. Plus, laminates aren't indestructible..
The only instruments I know of that don't need any kind of humidity control are made of carbon fiber, ekoa, polycarbonate or some other forms of plastic. With anything else, you're risking damage by not taking some care.

Could i put a wet cloth in a ziplock, fold it and put it in it's case?

Could i put a wet cloth in a ziplock, fold it and put it in it's case?

Yep. I use a sponge, but a cloth should work as well. Just make sure the cloth stays damp.

Any method that would release a bit of humidity when needed should be fine. It's going to be hard to know when it's needed if you don't have a hygrometer to measure though.

Any method that would release a bit of humidity when needed should be fine. It's going to be hard to know when it's needed if you don't have a hygrometer to measure though.

Unfortunately, I don't think they make them that talk. As you know. I can't see. I usually would check the cloth to make sure that it's not too dry.

Unfortunately, I don't think they make them that talk. As you know. I can't see. I usually would check the cloth to make sure that it's not too dry.
It seems someone would make one that talks, but I don't personally know of one. Perhaps you could have a friend or family member check one for you now and again just for a general idea. Then if you know it's a period of time you'll definitely need some added humidity, your method of being able to feel for it seems like it should work out fine. Maybe get someone to take a look at what you use now and again to make sure mold isn't present. I've had to throw some stuff away due to that. It's something to consider.
Just don't worry over it so much it takes the enjoyment out of your instrument.

It seems someone would make one that talks, but I don't personally know of one. Perhaps you could have a friend or family member check one for you now and again just for a general idea. Then if you know it's a period of time you'll definitely need some added humidity, your method of being able to feel for it seems like it should work out fine. Maybe get someone to take a look at what you use now and again to make sure mold isn't present. I've had to throw some stuff away due to that. It's something to consider.
Just don't worry over it so much it takes the enjoyment out of your instrument.

I got ya. I just wanted to make sure.

If you feel the need to hydrate your uke make it simple on yourself. A damp sponge or cloth in an open zip lock bag will do it. Add water once week and you are good to go. You have it in a hardcase so that helps keep the moisture in. My Oasis humidifiers need refilling about once a week

Last edited:
If you feel the need to hydrate your uke make it simple on yourself. A damp sponge or cloth in an open zip lock bag will do it. Add water once week and you are good to go. You have it in a hardcase so that helps keep the moisture in. My Oasis humidifiers need refilling about once a week

Thanks. I just want to make sure it's not too dry. I'm not sure if it is laminate or not.

For $50, I'm sure it's a laminate, don't worry about it. I have laminates hanging on my wall in Arizona and our humidity is typically in the single digits.

Top Bottom