Cocobolo Super Concert #1 Sound Samples

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
I thought the Southcoast in D sounded outstanding -- not sure how much is the tuning, how much the strings.

That super concert has a great tone, nice full open sound. Good job recording two different sets of strings. It is always interesting to hear the differences. Both sounded nice but I am partial to South Coast

I definitely prefer the feel of the Southcoast and the D tuning is different than anything else I have so I'll be keeping those on for the foreseeable future. But I have to say the uke did lose some warmth with them, which is exactly what Kevin said about the Aquilas.

Congrats Jim. That uke sounds terrific, great resonance and clarity. The tone was warmer than I would have expected with all Cocobolo.

Thought both C & D tunings sounded very good. Aquila or SC strings seem to work well with it.

Southcoast sounded great. Like DaveY mentioned, it would be interesting to hear both in c to see how much of an impact the tuning makes. But nice clarity and tone, congrats!

Congratulations, Jim! Sounds great! I tried D Tuning on my Ono for a bit but ended returning to linear C because I preferred the warmer sound. It is fun to try to different tunings and we what works best. Enjoy experimenting!!!

It is fun to try to different tunings and we what works best. Enjoy experimenting!!!
Yeah, I like experimenting. Currently I have G, Bb, and D reentrant and C and G linear - only one duplicate. This one will probably go back to C reentrant at some point- but I might get the SXLU set next and go up to Eb or even F. Just for the heck of it. :p

First of all Jim, that is a beautiful uke. I'm glad you got it. Second of all, in opposition to those referring to either of the samples as "warm", though not unpleasant; I certainly would not describe the sound as warm. I mean no insult to anyone and maybe its just this particular sample in combination with my ipad speakers, but to me it is more brassy or even bright, but not really warm. Again congrats. Its beautiful and has a crisp sound to my ears.

I agree the D tuning is not what I'd call warm but that's OK. I agree with "crisp". FWIW, I think this uke is capable of warmth with the right strings as the C tuning sample at least hints at. If I was going for warmer on this one, I think I'd try Worth Browns or Oasis Warms. But I have other ukes right now that fill that role.

I will say I'm swearing off making any more tonal judgments from iPad speakers.

Congratulations on your beautiful cocobolo, going to d tuning makes a uke generally brighter and more clarity, lowering the tuning
To Bb or lowering will give it a warmer tone..thicker softer strings may help to aliviate the thinner tone from the thinner strings
Happy strummings :)

Last edited:
I agree the D tuning is not what I'd call warm but that's OK. I agree with "crisp". FWIW, I think this uke is capable of warmth with the right strings as the C tuning sample at least hints at. If I was going for warmer on this one, I think I'd try Worth Browns or Oasis Warms. But I have other ukes right now that fill that role.

I will say I'm swearing off making any more tonal judgments from iPad speakers.

"Swearing off ipad speakers" good idea and glad you mentioned it. I have high quality earbuds and whenever I listen to a sound sample it is with those. UkieOkie's comment about "sounding brash" is usually atributed to device speakers. No offense Okie, it has given me the same results when something is a bit on the bright side.

"Swearing off ipad speakers" good idea and glad you mentioned it. I have high quality earbuds and whenever I listen to a sound sample it is with those. UkieOkie's comment about "sounding brash" is usually atributed to device speakers. No offense Okie, it has given me the same results when something is a bit on the bright side.

No offense taken. Before I posted I did, however, listen to some other Cocobolo Ukulele samples online with the same Ipad. After listening to both I made the determination, which is probably unfair since they were likely recorded differently. Anyway, I glad for Jim getting a beautiful uke that he seems happy with. Congrats again Jim.

No offense taken. Before I posted I did, however, listen to some other Cocobolo Ukulele samples online with the same Ipad. After listening to both I made the determination, which is probably unfair since they were likely recorded differently. Anyway, I glad for Jim getting a beautiful uke that he seems happy with. Congrats again Jim.

One of our Uke Jam members has a Cocobolo tenor and I have been very impressed with the sound. Loud, clear and articulate, kinda dispelled the common opinion about "cocobolo" not being a good wood to use for the top.

Last edited:
One of our Uke Jam members has a Cocobolo tenor and I have been very impressed with the sound. Loud, clear and articulate, kinda dispelled the common opinion about "cocobolo" not being a good wood to use for the top.

Dave, it rings clear the story about the luthier being more important than the piece of wood. Cocobolo's Sylvio has figured out how to make it work.
From what I see/hear, no one else has yet.
My Cocobolo concert is scheduled to be shipped to me tomorrow. Jim, am I going to wish it was a super concert?

Dave, it rings clear the story about the luthier being more important than the piece of wood. Cocobolo's Sylvio has figured out how to make it work.
From what I see/hear, no one else has yet.
My Cocobolo concert is scheduled to be shipped to me tomorrow. Jim, am I going to wish it was a super concert?
Plus one on that. I understand it took them more than a few experiments to dial in the techniques. Only possible with a plentiful native wood.

Congrats Nickie. You'll only wish yours was a super concert if you prefer 16" scale to 15". I do. :)

Top Bottom