Ohana SK38 - is it a good choice?

Pier

Reaction score
hi! I'm an italian musician. I'm an opera singer and an electric bass player, and years ago I bought my first and only ukulele.

it was a cheap Arrow, soprano, bought brand new for 30 euros (with a padded gig bag included...), with rough finish and sharp-edges frets.
however, it always sounded good and kept the tuning.

now that I can play "better", I was looking for a new and decent soprano, and my eyes were caught by the Ohana SK38 for some reasons

- all solid mahogany

- 200 euro new and shipped, here in Italy

- vintage look, which I really like

the look got me immediately. rough finish, binding, friction tuners, simple bridge (not the one that looks like classical guitar).
I don't like the gloss finish, and I prefer the look of friction tuners over the geared ones.

BUT I was reading various topic here, and sometimes I red things like poor intonation, poor fretwork and high action, issues that led me to think it might not be the best choice.

I can't try one before buying, so I'll have to order it online (from a store here in Italy. I won't buy it overseas, it would cost too much).

so, how is this ukulele? is it worth the money?

If you read the other thread on SK-38's, here on Uke Talk, you should realize that someone who didn't like the looks, loves it...

It's got a loud, brash sound, commonly referred to as "bark", that can take some getting accustomed to. If you like the sound of old mahogany sopranos, it's pretty unique and I don't expect I'll be getting rid of mine any time soon. If you end up feeling differently, they're in good demand and you should be able to recoup much of the value on resale.

There are better options, I'm sure.

I have the SK28 and LOVE IT!!!!! It is the vintage Nunes style ukulele, with the rope binding. It looks and sounds great, has a little bit of bark, but can be sweet, too. I really like Ohana ukuleles. For the price, you get a quality product that plays great and sounds great. I bought my Ohana SK28 from Mim (see the post above mine), so it had a very nice setup when I received it - it was ready to tune and play right out of the box.

Hello, Pier,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm the OP of the months-old post about the SK-38 that you resurrected about two days ago. I saw you'd started a new one for essentially the same topic so I'm responding to you here.

I took my time collecting my thoughts because I wanted to give you a good answer. But of course, my reflexive response upon reading your question was: I recommend the SK-38 without reservation. But buy it from a reputable seller who'll vet it and set it up for you.

Admittedly, it wasn't love at first sight when I saw and held my SK-38. My expectations were too high. I gave myself less than a fifth of the budget normally allotted for buying acoustic guitars and was expecting the same quality. My eyes immediately alighted on various blemishes and imperfections. But I was being unfair and unrealistic. After talking to the members on the forum and working through my frustration, I calmed down and accepted the fact that I had purchased a relatively inexpensive instrument—a conscious decision that I myself had made. Then I began to spend serious time with it, and discovered that my SK-38 ticks off everything that counts for me in a good instrument: stable intonation up to the highest fret, sweet sound, light but solid build, and a comfortable neck, and I happen to love the open-pore, uneven feel of the surface. I find my SK-38 ruggedly handsome and adore the peanut-like body shape. If I should misplace it or break it accidentally, I'd buy another one without hesitation. It is eating into my guitar time, and I don’t regret it.

I'm just so glad to have this ukulele as my companion on my ukulele journey.

Last edited:
I've had mine for a couple of years. It wasn't the ukulele I was looking to buy, as I had actually made a fairly lengthy trip to Eagle Music in Yorkshire to try some of the Mainland sopranos they stock, but I spotted the Ohana and played it first, then worked my way through some alternatives. Nothing felt or sounded so perfect for my tastes and budget, so I bought the Ohana and never regretted it.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that I'm particularly fond of the old-fashioned "plinky" soprano sound, which is where this uke excels. As much as I love it, I recognise that not everybody shares my taste; regardless, I've found no real faults with the Ohana, aside from Aquila strings being a bit booming on it. Living Water strings do very nicely.

My CK 28 concert is one of the best maghogny ukes I've played, and it's pretty too ;)

nice, thanks to you all, I'm starting to feel really "sure" of buying it. the shop where I'm going to buy it is great, and they told me that they setup all the instruments before shipping them, so it should be fine.

I don't know anything about ukulele strings. so far I've tried only the black nylon that came stock with my 30 euros Arrow and a set of Aquila SuperNylgut, and they gave it a brighter and fuller sound.
I've tried the Aquila Nylgut on my sister's Makala, and I liked them (that's why I decided to try Aquila on mine)

personally, I love the sound of the sopranos, but I like the sound to be bright when strummed, and not muffled and confused.

how does the Ohana sound?

I can't clearly understand by youtube videos, due to the fact that they are all recorded in different ways, with different quality and, in particular, different rooms.

I can't clearly understand by youtube videos, due to the fact that they are all recorded in different ways, with different quality and, in particular, different rooms.

I agree, and this is often overlooked, and I frequently forget to consider it too. The room (especially acoustically untreated ones) makes a huge difference. The microphone also. This is also why I find the HMS/TheUkuleleSite's videos are such a valuable resource: the setup and conditions seem to be usually the same, they don't do post processing, and you also often get the same player. The only "downside" is that very few of us will ever play as well as Corey or Aaron, or be able to adapt to a given instrument (and on the fly). But still, I feel that it's the best way to compare ukuleles that you can't play yourself in your own playing ground. Since you're in Europe, you probably can send back anything you buy online within 14 days and without having to pay return shipping. That does make it a bit safer. :)

how does the Ohana sound?

The video here is probably one of the most neutral sound sample: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ohana-sk-38-solid-mahogany-vintage-styled-soprano.html But yes, it's probably the result of near ideal conditions. Good room, good microphone, excellent player, perfect setup.

As for strings, I like Worth Clears and Martin M600, but I also haven't tried very many different types. I tend to stick to products or brands once I find something I enjoy. I like Aquila Nylgut strings on my heavily built Stagg concert, and I believe they really polish up ukuleles that would otherwise not sound as well. Sound-wise, I feel they are a bit like a large brush, which is a good tool when painting large walls. Fluorocarbons seem to give me more detail, but also require a good instrument. This is terribly generalized, though.

Aquila also makes different types of strings, and they have a new type coming up. I really like Mimmo's personality, so I plan to try those mint green strings when they come out. I also want to try out Southcoast's strings, if only because Dirk strikes me as very competent with a keen sense for sound. But that requires importing, since over here in Europe our string selection seems to be severely lacking (does anyone know of EU sources that stock more exotic string brands?).

Strings, I think, are largely a matter of personal preference. Kind of difficult to test, too, because it takes a while for them to settle, and we also tend to get used to whatever sound texture we're exposed to for some time.

yes, I'm a string geek on bass guitar, and it's really hard to choose and settle with something, in particular with electric instruments, which are influenced by pickups and amplifiers.
with acoustic instruments I've always settled with a brand.

switching from anonymous nylons to Aquila SN on this cheap little uke changed a lot, and I thing I'll stay with them, or maybe try the Nylgut, that they describe as brighter (but who knows!)

in particular I noticed how different is the sound going up the fretboard. with the stock strings every note over the 3rd fret sounded dull and poor, and I thought that I wasn't able to make it sound right (I even thought that I needed to buy a Tenor or Concert), but then I tried these Aquila, and BANG! every note now is crispy clear even fingerpicking or strumming chords on the 8th/10th fret.

This thread has given me some string ideas to put on my SK28. I love the plinky sound of this type of soprano as well. It is a joy to play and hear.

This thread has given me some string ideas to put on my SK28. I love the plinky sound of this type of soprano as well. It is a joy to play and hear.

Just want to add that after posting to this thread, I took out my SK-38 to practice. I clipped the tuner onto the headstock and checked intonation on all four strings all the way up to where the neck meets the body. I was chuckling to myself as I went higher and higher. Just amazed. The seller did an irreproachable job setting up my uke!

ok, it arrived, and as I was saying here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-solid-mahogany-Soprano&p=1813628#post1813628 , it came with a couple of issues.

first of all, an high capo, problem that I solved with sandpaper. I'm used to this kind of works on my basses and guitars, so it was not a real issue. I've never seen an instrument with a low-action capo, even with high-end basses and guitars.

the other issue was in the strings: the E string could not stay in tune, so I started stretching it and noticed a "clump" between the hole and the bridge. also, the string is not a Nylgut (blueish white) but a Super Nylgut (pearl white), clearly different from the others.
however the shop (which is also the Aquila String producer) sent me a new set, and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I can't wait to change them because they are also dead... I tried to swith a couple of strings from my other uke (a set of Super Nylgut), to see if it was the uke, and luckily it's all about the strings.

let's talk about the pros!

it's light, it stays in tune and it's LOUD! playing it (for the short time while the E stays in tune) it shows a rich and loud sound, warm and "vintage". it plays exactly like I've always imagine ukulele playing. the sound is not bright, but it rings full of mid-frequencies.
it's a bit dark when strummed, but it's also related to the strings, right now. however it's a pleasure to strum it, teleporting yourself in the 1930's Hawaii :D

it's all in tune, in particular after the capo setup.

the action was fine, around 2,5mm at the 12th fret, and I'm comfortable with it. I have the same action on my lamited Arrow, and I'm fine with it.

there are a couple of dead spots (Bb and C), but they are not too "intrusive" in the overall sound, and I notice them just because I'm a fussy person, and on electric basses the dead spots are a real issue. my Arrow has the same dead spots too, and I guess that changing strings and playing it a bit (to let the wood get used to vibrations) is going to cover them a bit.

PS: the finish is perfect, there are no issues and it's a beauty. I can't stop playing it. can't wait to change strings!

first of all, an high capo, problem that I solved with sandpaper. I'm used to this kind of works on my basses and guitars, so it was not a real issue. I've never seen an instrument with a low-action capo, even with high-end basses and guitars.

the other issue was in the strings: the E string could not stay in tune, so I started stretching it and noticed a "clump" between the hole and the bridge. also, the string is not a Nylgut (blueish white) but a Super Nylgut (pearl white), clearly different from the others.
however the shop (which is also the Aquila String producer) sent me a new set, and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Um, I'm not sure what you mean by a high capo. In the other thread you mention a high nut. Perhaps this one has a typo.

You have also mentioned being a professional bass player, and said that you have little experience with 'ukulele strings. It's commonly expected here that 'ukulele strings will take a couple of weeks (sometimes a month--depending on how often you play) to stop stretching and hold tune. From what you described, I suspect that your seller had replaced the E string, and it is therefore newer than the other strings.

Aquila does make strings now that look different from what they used to make. The purpose (as I understand it) was to offer a string which was more difficult to counterfeit. The strings you said were dead may have been fake Aquilas. The string you said won't hold tune was probably just new.

Just guessing, of course.

In the other thread you mention a high nut. Perhaps this one has a typo.

yes and no :D in italian the nut is "capotasto" (tasto = fret), and I was thinking in italian. we use to call it just "capo" instead of "capotasto", but it's always the nut.

From what you described, I suspect that your seller had replaced the E string, and it is therefore newer than the other strings.

no, I thought that it was the case but it would not stay in tune anyway. I tune it, pluck it, and it goes down half a step. it's not like when a string is settleing in.

I also have tried the Super Nylgut a couple of weeks ago, and they started staying in tune after a couple of days (by stretching them as suggested by the "official" video by Aquila: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUTkm9KA68s ).

here are some picture in which you can see the clump:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kfcxdcmu4taarx/faulty aquila 1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4h5dz3tfd91ry5/faulty aquila 2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9neo3l8w2z082g2/faulty aquila 3.jpg?dl=0

Aquila does make strings now that look different from what they used to make. The purpose (as I understand it) was to offer a string which was more difficult to counterfeit. The strings you said were dead may have been fake Aquilas. The string you said won't hold tune was probably just new.

the shop I bought from is the Aquila's shop :) the company has a related e-commerce site selling ukuleles and things related to ukuleles.

they told me that they didn't changed it, and that it's clearly faulty, probably due to that clump. the sent me a replacement set, so when it arrives, I'll try and see if stock strings are fake :)

however, the uke is wonderful, I'm really pleased with it. at the beginning I thought to send it back and be refunded, but after the nut setup and a bit of playing, I decided to keep it.

Okay, you clearly know what you're doing. I was just trying to help after you said you were new to 'ukulele strings.
The main point is to not give up on an 'ukulele based on the original set of strings.
Happy New Ukulele Day!

Top Bottom