Enclosed vs Exposed Gears / Tuners

WoodGlue

Reaction score
Los Angeles, CA USA & Wherever It Is I'm Camping I
What difference is there between the two? Anything more then aesthetics or personal preference? I've always found the enclosed tuners to be a neater package. Less change of dust or lint buildup on the exposed gearing.

Do you have a preference and why?

Thanks,

Wood

Enclosed tuners are heavier than open tuners, which can be an issue in some ukuleles depending on build and size (the smaller the uke, the more impact tuner weight will have) and whether one favors a strap. As a general rule, ukuleles are ergonomically best with the lightest weight tuners one can find/afford.

Peghed brand tuners are, on the other extreme, very lightweight, almost like the tuners of your violin, Wood. Just an example.

Personally, I try to avoid closed tuners on my ukes. No perceived advantage, too weighty for my taste. Ymmv.

Here's a video from Mya Moe, professional ukulele brand (Eddie Vedder, Mumford &Sons, Trey A. From Phish, Dave Matthews, etc.; not that it matters, but you're new to uke so fun to know) on tuners. Good stuff.

Last edited:
The only uke I had with closed tuners was a Kala SSTU travel uke. The head dive on it, even with a strap was really terrible, so bad i had to almost give it away to get rid of it. An out of balance uke makes playing fingerstyle almost impossible IME, on the other hand i love the open grovers. It's all about the weight...

What difference is there between the two? Anything more then aesthetics or personal preference? I've always found the enclosed tuners to be a neater package. Less change of dust or lint buildup on the exposed gearing.

Do you have a preference and why?

Thanks,

Wood

My KA-T has closed tuners. The Mya Moe video is very informative. Thanks!

I have both types on my various instruments,and it makes
absolutely no difference to me! I do not play on beaches
or anywhere very dusty, so that could be a factor to you!

Thanks for that video clip. It explained a couple of things I didn't know I didn't know. IYSWIM.

Thanks for the mya-moe link! Good information I had not considered.
I have seen long hair caught in open geared tuners. It's a factor to consider.
A small chop with a scissors, or razor blade or knife when the scissors are not available is not a good thing.
ymmv
rc

Top Bottom