what do i do??

nikolo727

Reaction score
today is supposed to be the best day ever(my birthday) and it is but i have a problem.

I got my ukulele signed by jake, and that should be reason enough to stop playing the uke, but as some of you may know the finish is starting to wear off my uke. well now its worse. I can actually see natural wood along the neck of the uke. not good. there are also numerous dents on the edges. over time the uke is just getting in worse shape and im thinking of retiring the uke perminetly. big problem. i have no job, and little money.

what do i do???

I dont know how to fix mjy uke at all and I dont want to try anything because I dont want to mess it up anymore.

Man, it must be different living on the mainland where it is pretty rare to see Jake. I got my uke signed by him but still play it all the time, and the signature is doing well since I had him sign near the base of the neck on the back, where I don't touch that much, and I had it done in an industrial strength sharpie.

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Industrial_Permanent_Marker.html

But I guess if you're worried, maybe some Shellac (try at your own risk) might help you protect the signature.

Edit: But, Happy birthday, and I hope your uke turns out fine!

Here's what you do. PM me your address. Happy Birthday and thanks for supporting the Kapaa Ukulele Band.

so jealous lol. my birthday was last week and no one even said happy birthday or anything special like this :(

Happy Birthday T-Ukel!!!!!!

Here's a bunch of bluish bouncing smiles for you!
:smileybounce::smileybounce:
:smileybounce::smileybounce:

thanks for the wonderful gift (Smilies). thats the best gift i have gotten this year

Nicolo:

Your uke now has character. In time, you'll appreciate the fact that it has seen you through these rough times. We all get imperfect as we age, but that's no reason to think that we were better before.

Of course, you could always try some light rubbing with steel wool followed by a very light coat of spray-on finish. Just enough to keep the wood protected.

Oh, and Happy Birthday.

Only allow the uke to be played by naked people. And only if they're in bed. Nothing to scratch or dent the finish that way. Take the uke nowhere.

Continue until you can afford a new uke, then retire the autographed one. What kind of uke is that, BTW?

Seriously, though....hope you find a solution to your dilemma. Keep in mind, also....most of us will never have the chance to have a uke autographed by Jake. You've been fortunate.

Happy birthday....

Here's what you do. PM me your address. Happy Birthday and thanks for supporting the Kapaa Ukulele Band.

Hey Deach, my birthday is this week. Can I PM you my address???...Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't give you my address....:p

Hey Deach, my birthday is this week. Can I PM you my address???...Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't give you my address....:p
Haha. What could he deach you that you don't already have? the two of you should get a room. for all of your ukes, I mean.

ive been extremely fortunate. I just want to say that without UU i wouldnt be complete. Deach this will not go unnoticed. I am sitting here crying telling you that. You will be repayed in full with as much love as I can repay you with. I just want to say that I love you guys and I really cant explain anything right now cuz im so emotional. thanks for making this the best birthday ever!

today is supposed to be the best day ever(my birthday) and it is but i have a problem.

I got my ukulele signed by jake, and that should be reason enough to stop playing the uke, but as some of you may know the finish is starting to wear off my uke. well now its worse. I can actually see natural wood along the neck of the uke. not good. there are also numerous dents on the edges. over time the uke is just getting in worse shape and im thinking of retiring the uke perminetly. big problem. i have no job, and little money.

what do i do???

I dont know how to fix mjy uke at all and I dont want to try anything because I dont want to mess it up anymore.

I don't think it's a big problem with finish wearing off the neck of your uke. It just means that you play it a lot. As long as it doesn't bother you it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe Howlin' Hobbit would read this post and verify, but I'm pretty sure he's wore off a lot of the finish off his Glyph soprano by playing the heck out of the uke. Also, Travis Harrelson's vintage Martin soprano has a hole on the upper bout on the A-string side from his strumming. Battle scars are part of the deal with often played ukes.

For the Jake autograph, if you don't mind, I'd suggest putting a self adhesive clear pickguard material over it. Just cut a piece that would cover the autograph and apply it carefully so it doesn't trap any bubble. I did that for my daughter's Makala with Jake's autograph and it worked great.

My take on Jake's uke autographing thing is that it is the ultimate encouragement for amateur ukulelists to play as hard as they can. Don't worry about a signature wearing off. Go to another one of his concerts, tell him you played so much his sig couldn't bear the heat, and get a new one AND lots of respect! :nana:

Can't wait for my birthday...

Happiest of birthdays Nikolo. Next time you see Jake have him autograph another one. (I did)

Happy birthday, man! Seems like the problem has been solved in the best way possible already. ;)

Top Bottom