Converted family to the uke-side?

strumtheory

Reaction score
I am new to the world of uke and have been pretty consistently practicing nightly. Well last night my daughter came and sat down and asked if she could have a go. So we checked out the tabs for one of her favourite songs (Taylor Swift - help.me.lord - blerk! ;) ). Initially I played it on the uke/she sang and we muddled through together but in the end she was having a go on the uke and really enjoying herself :) She has recently started guitar lessons, which she is enjoying, but I think the uke felt more fun/less stress to her.....something we really enjoyed doing together. She has asked if we can work out another song tonight.

Just curious if you have converted any family members to the uke or if you play uke with your family?

Our first uke was a Christmas gift to my eldest daughter. She loves it and strums but only on occasion. My youngest daughter loves the uke, plays it almost as much as her cello. Of my four kids, three are reasonably proficient on the uke, and the younger two really enjoy playing often, ukes and banjoleles.

This is not without downsides. They will covet your ukes, develop a taste for better ukes and indeed get a little UAS all on their own. Amplifiers and cables go missing, and you had best have a budget for strings. I am grateful that they aren't into the usual teen and pre-teen pop music, however.

So I have all that to look forward to huh ;)

Although I could do without the Taylor Swift lol but I suppose anything that ignites the passion for playing music has to be an ok thing.

Yeah, and it's subject to change without notice. One minute they will ove a song or artist, next week it could be old news. Making up your own humorous songs together works for us.

Tried, but no success.

But I have converted quite a few friends and acquaintances. That's basically my life goal.

My wife and I play ukes together in two different groups. We have given ukes to our 4 children and a daughter-in-law. One daughter plays the uke once a year when we go to Ukulele World Congress and the other kids and daughter-in-law, less frequently.

I don't seem to understand the Taylor thing but I'm happy that I have not seen anyone Rap to the uke.
I tried to get my Grand girl into uke a little but it seems like it take more effort than cartoons on TV.I would play Taylor songs to have some one to jam with.

My sister and niece have been watching me play for the past three years. My niece gave her mom a ukulele for Christmas.

All the grandkids have a First Act ukulele and will play along with me. You might try these colorful ukuleles, Buiietbob. Mine are five and under. Once they get older, I can foresee an Outdoor Ukulele in their future.

Last edited:
Nope, the ukulele is kind of my thing. My kids are grown up and moved out of the house. My wife will sing with me, but she doesn't want to learn how to play the ukulele.

My husband started about a year after I did. He wasn't musical and had tried different things through the years to try and connect with my musical side. Uke is what worked for him - almost instantly. And he is a pretty good player! I'm very proud of him. I bought one for each of the kids. They can do a few chords, but they would die if they had to play in our "old people" uke group. Whatever - they are missing out!!!!!

I have three uke students, two of them girls, so I have done my fair share of Taylor Swift songs. Whatever it takes!!!!

My sister got married last year and asked me to perform the ceremony. For their honeymoon she and her husband were going to Hawaii. Knowing my love the the ukulele she bought me a nice little soprano while she was there as a thank you gift. That was the end of October and I wasn't going to see her until Thanksgiving. In that time she began to play around with the ukulele and was having a lot of fun. When I came for Thanksgiving dinner I brought along my first ukulele and gave it to her. She didn't know what to say. She loved it and told me she was going to start taking lessons. I have not had a chance to talk with her lately, so I do not know how it is progressing, but there is hope!

I gave my wife a Ohana soprano for Valentines Day. She's been watching and listening to me and enjoys the sound. We'll see how it goes...

I am new to the world of uke and have been pretty consistently practicing nightly. Well last night my daughter came and sat down and asked if she could have a go. So we checked out the tabs for one of her favourite songs (Taylor Swift - help.me.lord - blerk! ;) ). Initially I played it on the uke/she sang and we muddled through together but in the end she was having a go on the uke and really enjoying herself :) She has recently started guitar lessons, which she is enjoying, but I think the uke felt more fun/less stress to her.....something we really enjoyed doing together. She has asked if we can work out another song tonight.

Just curious if you have converted any family members to the uke or if you play uke with your family?

Do you guys remember that gig back on thanksgiving that I was super excited about? I now have a cousin that's taking up the uke. Her name is Alice. She heard me play and she really wanted to take it up.

One group I jam with has 5-6 couples at least and they comprise more than half the group. One couple sometimes even bring their 2 teenagers, which I think is super cool!

I've been strummin' and hummin' the uke for just under a year, but have 20 years experience playing stringed instruments. I never could get my wife or kids (ages 10 & 7) interested in playing music. About a month after getting my first uke, my wife picked it up one day and asked me to teach her a few chords. 10 minutes later she has the C G Am F thing down, she is having a blast and all the sudden we are jammin' together for the first time. The kids and I gave her a Waterman last year for Mothers Day. So now that Mom is strummin' and hummin' and has her own uke, of course the kids want to learn as well. 15 minutes later the kids have the C G Am F thing down and all the sudden we have an in-house Ukulele Orchestra or Tikiyaki Garage Band. We got the kids a Bugs Gear and Makala Dolphin.

We play almost every Sunday for at least a half hour, but I try to get at least two sessions a week. The kids like to play but they are yet to pick up the uke and just start playing without me saying "Hey let's go uke it up!"

It's a ton of fun and great family bonding time. I highly recommend trying it at your house!

I have played instruments for many years (Guitar, Bass, Uke). However, my daughter is the only one of my kids (3 sons, 1 daughter) that started young and continued to play guitar. She tinkers with the uke from time to time, but she is more into guitar, but none of her older brothers took any interests in playing. However, at some point or other, have given all my grand kids ukuleles. When I gave my oldest son's daughters ukes, my oldest son started taking interests in playing also which was a surprise to me. I gave his oldest girl (7 years old) a pink Dolphin uke which is what she wanted. A few months later, my oldest son calls me (he lives in Washington state, I live in Michigan), and tells me about my grand daughter's music (she plays piano, and now the uke a little). He also admits that he never took the ukulele seriously as he was growing up, and even into adulthood. He always looked at them as toys more than anything, and just a "little guitar" that Dad likes to play "with". He admitted that he now finds himself a closet uke lover. After putting the kids to bed, he picks up my grand daughter's pink uke and plays it himself. He been "in the closet" because he always felt embarrassed to be this big tough guy, playing a pink uke. Well, He surprised us this past Christmas by flying out to spend the holidays at home with Mom and Dad. Something he hasn't been able to do for many years. I had 3 of my grandkids (his kids), and loved spending the holidays with them. They really enjoyed sitting and playing the uke with Grandpa. The day they had to catch a plane back, I took out my first "real" uke which I had always called "IZ". It's an Ohana soprano solid mahogany that with years of playing, sounds amazing and my son really liked it. So, I gave it to him to take back home with him. So, now he has his own. He said that having one that Dad played means so much more to him than any he could buy on his own. AND, the bonus is he can now feel good and play in front of people, because it isn't PINK!!! ;). I was proud to hand it to him. He is a convert, and loves playing the uke also now, and now creating great memories playing along with his kids.

I just converted a classical guitarist from guitar to ukulele. She has arthritis in her hands now that prohibits much guitar playing.
She bought a Mainland concert, and loves it. We were jamming with her last night. She has been to 3 TBUS jam sessions. She is always showing me new songs to learn.
I guess she likes it!

My husband and four of our six kids (adults) pay uke. It started maybe 10 or 15 years ago, when on a whim I bought my husband a baritone uke. He played bass in bands when he was younger and a little guitar. I thought he'd have Fun noodling around on it, maybe take it camping but he never seemed to find the time. When we retired about 5 yrs ago, I dug it out and thought maybe now he'll give it a go but instead, I started playing it and was hooked. One by one, most of the family joined me. It started with my husband having some interest in trying a soprano. Then as the kids came to visit us, we'd fiddle around on the ukes together and by the time they left, they'd be taking one of the spare ukes home with them. So now 6 of us play, often together. My youngest son is actually now much better than me (played bass as a teenager, so he has a good foundation) and my oldest son is not far behind (very enthusiastic and plays worship music with his uke in church). My youngest daughter brought her uke to Tonga with her (she's in the Peace Corp). One of my middle daughters is my most recent convert. She is a new mother, so she finds it hard to play much, but the seed is planted. Her husband has a mando, so I see a musical family experience in her future. I already have a little pink uke for baby Ramona. Playing uke (or guitar, harmonica, whatever) with my kids is one of my greatest pleasures in life. They also help me to improve and keep my music fresh. I see some of my contemporaries sometimes stuck in a musical rut (always Eagles, CCR, Neil Young) but my kids expose me to great newer artist that I might not have ever given a go, otherwise. In return, I open them up to stuff like All the Young Dudes, Nothing Else Matters, Losing My Religion). Win-win.

Top Bottom