Aaron Oya ukes

jcrooks

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am writing this post out of intrigue about these ukuleles and this maker. I follow HMS' website often and the new instruments they bring in. It doesn't look like I will be in the place to spend that kind of money on a uke for quite some time. However I just wanted to say that the last couple ukuleles Andrew posted from this Aaron Oya are the best I have ever heard on the ukulele site. I am sure other people have a difference of opinion but I do have a pretty highly trained ear and what I hear/see is really great.
I am curious as to what any owners of Aaron Oya's ukes have to say about his instruments.
Again I don't own one or have a horse in the race but just wanted to give my opinion that these have really amazed me.
Also just wanted to give the quick shout out to Andrew and HMS.

WOW! Thank you for pointing to Aaron's ukulele. The spruce/Maple tenor out there now sounds amazing!

Aaron is Kekani on this forum. His ukes are among the finest out there.

Last edited:
Hey everyone I am writing this post out of intrigue about these ukuleles and this maker. I follow HMS' website often and the new instruments they bring in. It doesn't look like I will be in the place to spend that kind of money on a uke for quite some time. However I just wanted to say that the last couple ukuleles Andrew posted from this Aaron Oya are the best I have ever heard on the ukulele site. I am sure other people have a difference of opinion but I do have a pretty highly trained ear and what I hear/see is really great.
I am curious as to what any owners of Aaron Oya's ukes have to say about his instruments.
Again I don't own one or have a horse in the race but just wanted to give my opinion that these have really amazed me.
Also just wanted to give the quick shout out to Andrew and HMS.

Your ears are working perfectly. :)
I have Aaron's Thin Body tenor, and it is amazing with a big sweet, warm, sound with great treble clarity. How he did than in an uke that is less than 2-inches thick is pure magic (... and a lot of hard work). Aaron also selected the specific strings (a unique combo) that work very with his build. Very happy with my tenor from Aaron.

Stunning ukes!

Aaron's one of the OG here and joined UU back in 08 ... glad he's around since there's only a handful left.

There is an AMAZING one of his tenors on HMS right now. Sitka spruce top with goreous quilted maple back and sides. The inlay of a surfer riding a big wave on the headstock is stunning. Almost as stunning as the sound. This ukulele is special, check it out

I own an Aaron Oya uke and can attest to the marvelous tone and meticulous details of his craftsmanship. His standard neck profile is a bit thicker than most of my instruments, similar to a Compass Rose - something that you might want to address if ordering a custom. He is well aware that is your contact point with the instrument.

https://vimeo.com/132847707

Wow, that uke sounds fantastic! I find myself at a loss as far as description. Its different, but in a wonderful way.

Thanks for posting that video geetee. I am the most picky musician I know about neck shapes and profiles on my instruments so nice to hear him discuss that. Damn if only I wasn't a musician and could actually afford it haha.

But yes the current maple tenor on HMS and the spruce and Koa one from January (both demoed by Kalei) are amazing!

Aaron is an amazing builder of ukuleles and amps too... also the guy to go to for baggs 5 oh pickup..
Did i say he is an amazing musician as well :)

Still a little unsure of the protocol in responding to a thread with my name in the title, even as OG as I am (per Danny).

That said, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least thank you all for the wonderful comments. And I may not have seen this as easily if Len didn't bring it to my attention. I've been trying to limit myself to the Lounge (and Tech somewhat) as it seems thats the pond where similar fish swim I guess.

Nevertheless, guys like Andrew and Shawn do a lot for us builders that we oftentimes don't show appreciation for them enough (I'd like to think they know, though). And players like Corey, and Kalei, well, you already know.

For the OP, unfortunately, you won't see too many responses from members here with my instruments - they simply don't exist because of my build schedule. Good or bad, it is what it is.

Anyway, time to go practice. Nope, not ukulele. . . another 4 string. Go figure.

That uke at HMS is really cool - love the headstock. Unfortunately, I am not a maple guy, but if the back & sides on that uke were rosewood or koa.... :drool:

Wow, that uke is amazing. If I had the dough....

Congrats Aaron...your uke sold in 4-5 days....keep building great ukes......:)

That uke at HMS is really cool - love the headstock. Unfortunately, I am not a maple guy, but if the back & sides on that uke were rosewood or koa.... :drool:

We must be "opposite twins". I'm a sucker for maple! I already own two gorgeous maples ukes with a baritone maple on the way and I still drooled over this Aaron Oya daily. Glad somebody snatched it as my finger was getting twitchy. ;-)

We must be "opposite twins". I'm a sucker for maple! I already own two gorgeous maples ukes with a baritone maple on the way and I still drooled over this Aaron Oya daily. Glad somebody snatched it as my finger was getting twitchy. ;-)
Not taking anything away from Andrew, but just adding in a different flavor from Shawn. It took us years to finally put pen to paper, and Shawn had a sister ukulele from the same billet (Andrew ended up with two of them).

I've been building Maple Spruce for years, and I know Shawn was a little apprehensive when I suggested it. I'm glad he wasn't disappointed. Perplexed in his expectation, yes, but I think he liked it. Maybe we'll work on another one someday. His perplexed description is at the bottom:
http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/custom-aaron-oya-tenor-ukulele/

I guess I'm not like the normal Hawaii builder is what clients expect - Koa. Yes, I do Koa, but so does everyone. I have fun with other woods, just because it opens up different tonal possibilities.

Not necessarily better, just different in some instances.

And certainly not necessarily easier to work with; in most cases, Koa is easy (yes, even figured).

Then you get guys like Ukulele Eddie, who although says he like bling, I would guess plays with his ears. After all, Maple Spruce is the traditional combination of bowed instruments :cool:

Top Bottom