So I bought a Low-G String today ...

Mivo

Reaction score
... and it took me several hours, people, and unexplained looks to realize that not everyone I talk to plays ukulele.

Well, I guess you got to share some ukulele love today with the uninitiated!

That interesting moment when you realize what made you excited holds zero interest for your friends and close family... been there. My sister fondly recalls the morning I came home after a long day tattooing and woke her to show her that I had pierced my own nipples. My best friend in the 90's went to school in NY to learn how to work on broadcast equipment. heh...

So what are you putting it on? I have one Aquila red left in soprano size I really want to get on my stick but I need to file a slot bigger. ;)

~peace~

I felt really slow and sheltered, I'll say that. :)

It's a single Worth Brown low-g string; the tenor has new strings so I figured I don't need a set. I do hope the slot won't be too tight, though!

Last edited:

It's a single Worth Brown low-g string; the tenor has new strings so I figured I don't need a set. I do hope the slot won't be too tight, though!

Mivo, when I change strings I always run a sharpened pencil in the grooves of the nut to deposit some graphite in the slots. The strings won't catch even if you are upsizing diameters. Less chance of buzzzing then.

When I put a low G on my concert, I needed to upon up the nut slot very slightly. I have some needle files from my model railway days which a gentle application did the trick. An emery board that people use for filing their nails is what I would go for if I didn't already have a suitable file.

Fortunately you are in Germany, otherwise boasting about your newly bought G-string and your great expectations around that purchase (e.g. "some more volume around the lower end") could have been a bit embarassing....

:D

well, you can always use it to hang a picture...:shaka:

I got a low G set for my Epiphone Les Paul concert, Aquila with the single red low G. I was not sure if it was going to be a permanent change so I opted not to widen the nut slot.
Those red low Gs are FAT.
I have to pop it out, tune it, and pop it back in hahahahaha. Been stable for a while now though.
Good luck!

Would you Adam and Eve it!! This very evening I have ordered a few Aquila red low g for my Epiphone les paul!! I have been playing rock stuff with a ukulele chum at as high a volume as Roland Micro cubes can handle, and a high g just doesn't cut it.

You should be fine with the Worth Brown.........they are not a particularly thick string.

Congrats. I just started playing low g a couple of weeks ago. It took a few days to adjust (didn't like it at first) but now I see the attraction. I'm hoping maybe my guitar friends will let me play with them now...

Dunno what you lads think..I'm not going low g on any uke except the les paul, but if you are playing solos, ie we are playing 'freebird, 'frankenstein' etc, if you have a high g, you have nowhere to go in the scale.

Dunno what you lads think..I'm not going low g on any uke except the les paul, but if you are playing solos, ie we are playing 'freebird, 'frankenstein' etc, if you have a high g, you have nowhere to go in the scale.
Sometimes you gotta get creative.

Sometimes you gotta get creative.

Right you are Rolli and sometimes you just gotta get down and dirty, The darkside calls.........resistance is futile :cool:

A small postscript: After much debate today ( admittedly only with myself ) I decided against a Tenor,and ordered a Risa Concert Stick! UAS? Moi??

Cheers. I expect to find it unusual at first, but looking forward to the benefits I've read about, ie intonation, sustain, and no feedback.

Top Bottom