PDA

View Full Version : God Bless the UAS!

DeG
04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
My UAS has been put into temporary remission due to my score this weekend. I picked up 2 "gold label" Kamakas today, one tenor and one baritone.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/72f9c3b299165538e01adff39a65c6784g.jpg

At first I thought someone had cut the top of the headstock off of the bari, but then I found the top in the case. Looks like a different type of wood, and it had just fallen off. So, I'll have to glue this back on. Here is the headstock with the end piece just resting on top of it:

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/897593521566c984f58a5ad9eb33e7802g.jpg

More detail on the tenor:
http://www2.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/7fdcf1b6774e787901f844ae1cea9caa5g.jpg

Both had what appear to be the original cases. Here is the Bari in its case:
http://www1.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/34b310cf1d06b927f4c21f7f5a604ffb5g.jpg

They both appear to be in good condition. No cracks. Some wear on the fretboard and body that would be expected from normal use. The saddle on the tenor could stand being replaced. And the best part ...I paid $350.00 for the pair!!

Anyone know what these are worth or have any tips for dating a Kamaka ( I mean like determining when it was made, not like dinner and a movie ) I know gold labels are from the 50's and 60's but that is about it.

T-UKEL
04-06-2009, 03:50 PM
where did you get them from, and that is a great deal

sukie
04-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Nice score.:D

Link
04-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow.. score. Videos SOON!!!

Dino
04-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Wow....what a deal. Congratulations on the score. You are now UAS cured! hahahaha.

experimentjon
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Very nice. I guess this is the first time I have noticed the pin bridges on the Kamakas. You got a pretty good deal on the pair!

haole
04-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Definitely worth more than $350 for the pair! Nice score!
I'd kill for that tenor.

GX9901
04-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Great score. I don't think I've seen a Kamaka tenor with the concert style headstock before.

DeG
04-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks, I'm just tickled and had to share with those who would appreciate :D

where did you get them from, and that is a great deal
My friend put me in touch with a guy who wanted to sell them. (I owe him big time now :) )

I guess this is the first time I have noticed the pin bridges on the Kamakas.
I thought this was unusual as well.

I don't think I've seen a Kamaka tenor with the concert style headstock before.
This I didn't notice until you mentioned it. You're right.

Maybe the pin bridge and the headstock is a clue to when it was made??

14twelve
04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow, DeG, that's awesome!!!

They're beautiful looking Kamakas! :love:

And what an amazing price. I can't wait to see the videos you do with them.

Congratulations!!!!!

bbycrts
04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
That's not a deal - that's a STEAL! Congratulations!

thejumpingflea
04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Wow, congrats dude!!

hoosierhiver
04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't know whether to call Antiques's Road Show or Art Bell.

PoisonDart
04-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Wow....what a deal. Congratulations on the score. You are now UAS cured! hahahaha.

Temporarily in remission, probably.

Great looking ukes, can't wait to hear them!

Tsani
04-07-2009, 05:02 AM
DeG is a master negotiator. He actually walked away from those two babies without making an offer. We were talking with the seller in a totally casual manner. DeG was completely chilling on the outside, but I KNEW he was sweating! We walked out - I bought my little P'mico for $30 - and I could not believe that he had not made an offer. In the car we asked him what was going on, and he had been waiting for the seller to suggest a figure which he never did. I could tell that DeG was really tortured.

So DeG calls me the next day and told me that he had not been able to sleep the previous night, but had made the purchase for the pair the next day. I guess he paid less than half what they are worth.

And that... is the rest of the story.

Do not play poker with this dude!!!

Rock on, DeG!

UKISOCIETY
04-07-2009, 05:27 AM
DeG is a master negotiator. He actually walked away from those two babies without making an offer. We were talking with the seller in a totally casual manner. DeG was completely chilling on the outside, but I KNEW he was sweating! We walked out - I bought my little P'mico for $30 - and I could not believe that he had not made an offer. In the car we asked him what was going on, and he had been waiting for the seller to suggest a figure which he never did. I could tell that DeG was really tortured.

So DeG calls me the next day and told me that he had not been able to sleep the previous night, but had made the purchase for the pair the next day. I guess he paid less than half what they are worth.

And that... is the rest of the story.

Do not play poker with this dude!!!

Rock on, DeG!

What a cool customer! I couldn't have done it. I bought my vintage Martin 0 after asking $100 less than the asking price (it was a consignment). They took it and now I'm wondering if they would have taken less...:confused:

ukeshale
04-07-2009, 05:31 AM
quite the steal. you can go uke shopping for me in the near future

DeG
04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Tsani is being too kind... I was shaking like a leaf on a tree. Sweaty palms, dry mouth, I thought I was going to pass out...Then I went home and did this all night-->:wallbash:

But is all worked out pretty well in the end :nana:

haolejohn
04-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Tsani is being too kind... I was shaking like a leaf on a tree. Sweaty palms, dry mouth, I thought I was going to pass out...Then I went home and did this all night-->:wallbash:

But is all worked out pretty well in the end :nana:

I like the way you were banging your head into the wall all night.

nikolo727
04-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't know whether to call Antiques's Road Show or Art Bell.

both!!

(i love antiques's road show lol)

Ahnko Honu
04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I wish there were people here who are ignorant of the value of a Kamaka ukulele, and that I'd be the first person to run into them. But then again not really, I'd have a guilty conscience if I paid too cheap. :cool:

UKISOCIETY
04-07-2009, 03:30 PM
:D
I wish there were people here who are ignorant of the value of a Kamaka ukulele, and that I'd be the first person to run into them. But then again not really, I'd have a guilty conscience if I paid too cheap. :cool:

...but you'd be able to live with it. I'm in total agreement!

DeG
04-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Just to be clear, the seller didn't know what to ask for them, and I didn't know what to offer. So, we decided that we each would do some research on-line and discuss a price the next day. So, I cannot comment on his research, but for mine, I could find nothing on-line regarding value on these particular ukes. I still don't know what they are really worth (see my initial posting) So, it came to what could I afford to pay for them..my max was about $500 (lest the wife would disown me) so I offered $300 thinking that would give me negotiating room.
I just don't want to be painted as predator, with no moral compass. We were both happy with the price we settled on. I know I got a deal on them, and I believe that he had an idea of what they could be worth, but like me, was unsure. I guess it comes down to, things are only worth what someone is willing to pay you for them.

haolejohn
04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=DeG;114634] So, it came to what could I afford to pay for them..my max was about $500 (lest the wife would disown me) so I offered $300 thinking that would give me negotiating room.
QUOTE]

This is smart. I am currently looking at a new Harley and I can only go where the wife allows me. I love her more than my harley and my ukes. Smart move on your behalf.

You're also correct things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for an item.

Toucan Mango
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Just to be clear, the seller didn't know what to ask for them, and I didn't know what to offer. So, we decided that we each would do some research on-line and discuss a price the next day. So, I cannot comment on his research, but for mine, I could find nothing on-line regarding value on these particular ukes. I still don't know what they are really worth (see my initial posting) So, it came to what could I afford to pay for them..my max was about $500 (lest the wife would disown me) so I offered $300 thinking that would give me negotiating room.
I just don't want to be painted as predator, with no moral compass. We were both happy with the price we settled on. I know I got a deal on them, and I believe that he had an idea of what they could be worth, but like me, was unsure. I guess it comes down to, things are only worth what someone is willing to pay you for them.
Well put..Congrats on your purchase :shaka:

PoisonDart
04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I love her more than my harley and my ukes.\

uhh... I know she was probably reading over your shoulder when you were typing that, but...

Certainly not more than your ukes and harley TOGETHER?!

haolejohn
05-07-2009, 04:43 AM
uhh... I know she was probably reading over your shoulder when you were typing that, but...

Certainly not more than your ukes and harley TOGETHER?!

Definately more than both together. She is way too hot for me and she keeps me sane.

05-07-2009, 06:06 AM

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6954/1188994406433346a87dgi3.jpg

DeG
05-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Ha! That's just wrong...funny, but wrong...

UKISOCIETY
05-07-2009, 06:15 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3641/3510782112_1852f9e451_o.jpg
Fixed it for ya.

DeG
05-07-2009, 06:17 AM
:rofl: Perfect!