God Bless the UAS!

DeG

Reaction score
My UAS has been put into temporary remission due to my score this weekend. I picked up 2 "gold label" Kamakas today, one tenor and one baritone.

72f9c3b299165538e01adff39a65c6784g.jpg

At first I thought someone had cut the top of the headstock off of the bari, but then I found the top in the case. Looks like a different type of wood, and it had just fallen off. So, I'll have to glue this back on. Here is the headstock with the end piece just resting on top of it:

897593521566c984f58a5ad9eb33e7802g.jpg

More detail on the tenor:
7fdcf1b6774e787901f844ae1cea9caa5g.jpg

Both had what appear to be the original cases. Here is the Bari in its case:
34b310cf1d06b927f4c21f7f5a604ffb5g.jpg

They both appear to be in good condition. No cracks. Some wear on the fretboard and body that would be expected from normal use. The saddle on the tenor could stand being replaced. And the best part ...I paid $350.00 for the pair!!

Anyone know what these are worth or have any tips for dating a Kamaka ( I mean like determining when it was made, not like dinner and a movie ) I know gold labels are from the 50's and 60's but that is about it.

where did you get them from, and that is a great deal

Very nice. I guess this is the first time I have noticed the pin bridges on the Kamakas. You got a pretty good deal on the pair!

Definitely worth more than $350 for the pair! Nice score!
I'd kill for that tenor.

Great score. I don't think I've seen a Kamaka tenor with the concert style headstock before.

Thanks, I'm just tickled and had to share with those who would appreciate :D

where did you get them from, and that is a great deal
My friend put me in touch with a guy who wanted to sell them. (I owe him big time now :) )

I guess this is the first time I have noticed the pin bridges on the Kamakas.
I thought this was unusual as well.

I don't think I've seen a Kamaka tenor with the concert style headstock before.
This I didn't notice until you mentioned it. You're right.

Maybe the pin bridge and the headstock is a clue to when it was made??

That's not a deal - that's a STEAL! Congratulations!

DeG is a master negotiator. He actually walked away from those two babies without making an offer. We were talking with the seller in a totally casual manner. DeG was completely chilling on the outside, but I KNEW he was sweating! We walked out - I bought my little P'mico for $30 - and I could not believe that he had not made an offer. In the car we asked him what was going on, and he had been waiting for the seller to suggest a figure which he never did. I could tell that DeG was really tortured.

So DeG calls me the next day and told me that he had not been able to sleep the previous night, but had made the purchase for the pair the next day. I guess he paid less than half what they are worth.

And that... is the rest of the story.

Do not play poker with this dude!!!

Rock on, DeG!

DeG is a master negotiator. He actually walked away from those two babies without making an offer. We were talking with the seller in a totally casual manner. DeG was completely chilling on the outside, but I KNEW he was sweating! We walked out - I bought my little P'mico for $30 - and I could not believe that he had not made an offer. In the car we asked him what was going on, and he had been waiting for the seller to suggest a figure which he never did. I could tell that DeG was really tortured.

So DeG calls me the next day and told me that he had not been able to sleep the previous night, but had made the purchase for the pair the next day. I guess he paid less than half what they are worth.

And that... is the rest of the story.

Do not play poker with this dude!!!

Rock on, DeG!

What a cool customer! I couldn't have done it. I bought my vintage Martin 0 after asking $100 less than the asking price (it was a consignment). They took it and now I'm wondering if they would have taken less...:confused:

quite the steal. you can go uke shopping for me in the near future

Tsani is being too kind... I was shaking like a leaf on a tree. Sweaty palms, dry mouth, I thought I was going to pass out...Then I went home and did this all night-->:wallbash:

But is all worked out pretty well in the end :nana:

Tsani is being too kind... I was shaking like a leaf on a tree. Sweaty palms, dry mouth, I thought I was going to pass out...Then I went home and did this all night-->:wallbash:

But is all worked out pretty well in the end :nana:

I like the way you were banging your head into the wall all night.

Last edited:
Top Bottom