NUD: Pono MTSH(C) Mahogany with Cedar top

Still Water Weapons

Reaction score
I will update this thread later with pics, but so far my opinion is it's gorgeous.

But.... it's kind of quiet. I really wasn't expecting that. Do you seasoned ukers think it'S the strings? Could it be the gloss finish? For strings it has Ko'olau 'Alohi with a wound 3rd string. That wound string was also broken this morning when I opened the case, any thoughts on that? They included and extra set, but I was going to put some Oasis Brights on it.

Thanks!!
Chris

http://[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/CHRISALLTECH/media/20160218_120943_zps2whviepn.jpeg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/CHRISALLTECH/media/20160218_120954_zps7epdghqb.jpeg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
Congrats! I own the same uke. I was really disappointed when I first got it, thought about sending it back. I was depressed. It was the first time I ever purchased a new instrument that I didn't just LOVE right out of the box. It was my first tenor and I was used to the "bark" and volume of my soprano. I think those factory strings just stink. I've since experimented with different strings and while I haven't found my favorites yet, every single pair has been 1000 times better, louder and had more projection than the factory set.

I now love, Love, LOVE this uke and the sweet tone and "chime" I get from it. Have faith, experiment with some strings, I think you'll love yours too! Strum it every dang day! Good luck!

I'm sure some other cats will chime in with some string recommendations.

I have a cedar / macassar ebony Pono tenor and I ordered it from HMS with South Coast strings, it's da bomb :cool:

I have a friend who owns three Pono tenors (sam13) and he loves the Oasis on his Ponos. Once those new Oasis settle in and you play the heck out of it for the next few weeks you will see it transform.

Congrats!

I'm new to uke playing, and am in the process of figuring out strings. My new Macassar/Cedar came with the same strings. I was uncertain at first, but I like the tone now, after getting some hours on them. My only other experience is with Aquila nylgut, and I like the Alohi strings better for now. Different instrument, of course, with different woods. I also like them on my Lanikai.

It makes me wonder, how much do strings change with use, and how long does I take them to settle.

Also, I might like them better because my technique is getting cleaner and better rather quickly. Are my strings settling or am I simply improving?

Anyway, congrats, and let's see some pics!

Congrats! Pictures pictures!

I will update this thread later with pics, but so far my opinion is it's gorgeous.

But.... it's kind of quiet. I really wasn't expecting that. Do you seasoned ukers think it'S the strings? Could it be the gloss finish? For strings it has Ko'olau 'Alohi with a wound 3rd string. That wound string was also broken this morning when I opened the case, any thoughts on that? They included and extra set, but I was going to put some Oasis Brights on it.

Thanks!!
Chris

The "quietness" has been my gripe with every Pono I have played. I love their looks and tone. They play really nicely, but they are simply too quiet. At least that goes for the handful I have played. I say all that to say this, if it really is the strings, then they are crazy for not switching. That muted sound in the store is why I have not purchased one before, not because of what I read on the internet but simply because of how muted they were in the stores.

I know there are some Pono folks on the board. I mean no disrespect, this has just been my honest experience.

While I love pretty much everything that comes from Ko'olau/Pono, their strings - not so much. I always end up changing them quickly to Southcoast, Oasis, or Worth.

As for quiet: What are your points of reference? I have owned some six or seven Pono Ukes over the past five years, and only one of them might be considered "quieter": the Mango Tenor Pineapple, which actually has a smaller body than a regular Tenor. My Cedar/Ebony Pono, on the other hand, might be the loudest Uke around. But again, that is after a string change.

Rakelele, I'm pretty much a beginner, so my only point of reference is my spruce top Kala. I think the Oasis strings have made some difference.

Pics will be up today! Stay tuned!

I hope you will enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Solid wood instruments will usually open up over time and only get better.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Rakelele, I'm pretty much a beginner, so my only point of reference is my spruce top Kala. I think the Oasis strings have made some difference.

Pics will be up today! Stay tuned!

FYI........ the Kala could very well be louder. Spruce is know for it's bright tones. The human ear is more excited by bright tones so bright is preceived as louder. Your Kala came with Aquila strings no doubt and some people say those are bright or brash. There is more to a uke than volume and as you explore and discover different music with this Pono you will appreciate it's beautiful notes and tone.

Sounds good Dave, thanks for the info. I do feel like I am liking it with the Oasis Brights. I have been super busy and have not had too much time on it yet, but soon!!

OP updated with photos!!

IMHO......... It's the strings. In my experience Pono's just love Flurocarbons strings. Worth, Salvarez, Southcoast, Martin, ............any thing Flurocarbon.

Don't think it the finish.... Gloss tends to compress but not muffle ............

I have never had issue with volume on my Pono AT and yes it is Matt finish but guys like DUD and Sam13 have lots,of Pono's similar to yours and never heard any complaints from them.

Try a bunch of string. My Pono didn't like nylon, aloha, pearls, and Aquilas. The new Lava and Red sound nice and play good but they are LOWER in volume.

My .o2 cents worth! YMMV

Top Bottom