Good Second Uke?

milkmanv1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got my first uke on friday, and dear lord do I love it. I can barely put it down, having a pretty rich guitar backround, I'm doing pretty well.

Basically I'm already wanting to save up and get a better uke ( I simply have a Oscar Schmidt OU2 59$'s of joy) I got such a cheap one because I wanted to try it, my last "new stringed instrument" the banjo, was not very much fun, because I can't finger pick like a demon.

So what would be a good second Uke to aim for? I really have no Idea what woods are good for uke or what brands are good.

Check out Mainland ukes. I have a video review on my youtube channel that has alot of sound samples and my thoughts. I love them and recommend them to everyone. I hope to buy my second one sometime this summer.

Mainlands are a sweet deal!

For something a little more unusual in that price range, look at Fleas/Flukes.

u should buy an all solid body uke or mayb a solid top uke....... i have a kala solid spruce top tenor as my second uke and i love it

I got a Fluke as my second ukulele, and I LOVE it. If you don't mind that they're a little different and plastic, they are just really nice. I have one with a rosewood fretboard because I got it for a deal, but I haven't heard anything bad about the plastic fretboards.

Really, you should maybe go into a Sam Ash where there is a surprising amount of ukes to choose from, and just see what feels right.

I'm tellin' you. Get a good uke and then stop. There's no need to buy a second one.

I don't have two ukuleles, you know.:rolleyes:

Check out Mainland ukes. I have a video review on my youtube channel that has alot of sound samples and my thoughts. I love them and recommend them to everyone. I hope to buy my second one sometime this summer.

Maybe the first weekend in June while you're at the world congress? ;)

My first one was a sub 100$ concert uke just to check if the bug would bite me.

I quickly got infected so I decided to buy a better one. Musicmicguy on ebay seemed to have everyone's praise, had good prices and a more-than-good selection. I decided to go for a kala solid mahogany. It's around 200$ US. It was recommended as a good-sounding good-quality not-too-expensive uke around here.

It arrived today! It sounds so much better than my first one! The sound is nice and round and loud.

I just wish I didn't have to wait till the end of the work day to spend some quality time with the new friend.

Check it out here.

Wow, thanks for the quick and numerous responses!!!

Ok so A little extra detail, Price? Well it's something I'm aiming for so it doesnt have to be cheap, but it shouldnt be exorbitant like 500 bucks or more would be a lot IMO, seeing as the uke, no matter how much I love it, will PROBABLY take a backseat to the guitar, and I need a new acoustic.

Second, Ukisociety, thats is what I'm aiming for, getting a good uke, then stopping unless theres something I have to have. So basically I'll have my quality one, then I'll hang onto this one I just got for one to throw around.

Lastly, I'd prefer if it was all solid wood, and the unfortunate truth is I probably WONT be able to find anywhere to play any good all solid wood ukes, so I'm gonna have to go with your suggestions.

The thing is that five hundred clams is well along the lines of a "good" Hawaiian production uke. It's certainly about what you're going to expect to start shelling out for one of the K's.

Which isn't to say that there aren't really good bang for the buck instruments for less than that, but according the generally accepted concepts of price and quality 500 bucks isn't really exorbitant for an ukulele.

Yeah, but that would be max max maxxxxx, I just want something good I can stick with for a long while. I don't need a rediculously good uke, just something that has atleast a solid top, and good tone. I know a custom uke would be well over 1 grand, and 500 is about the amount for a "pretty good uke" I just have no idea what brand to turn to.

Mainland Ukes (run by our very own hoosierhiver) have some very nice instruments, all solid wood and all sub-$300 (at the moment; I'm not sure how much their upcoming stuff will cost). I've heard nothing but good about these things.

I would recommend the MELE ukulele. They are made in phillipines but finished on Maui. They are a players instrument well worth their price and just as good as any of the more expensive 100% Hawaiian models out there. You can get a solid koa top with all mahaghany body for under $500.

Top Bottom