To Low G or Not To Low G, That is the Question...

MattW

Reaction score
So I am having a local luthier (local to me) make my next uke (my second, and next of many I'm sure...I'm already feeling UAS coming on). I am getting a pretty sweet custom concert and have been tossing around getting it set up in Low G. When I ordered it, I told him I would like it set up Low G and would like to possibly switch things out b/w low/high when I want...I have talked with him and he told me if I wanted to set it up with a Low G and wanted to switch back to a High G, I would have to switch out the nut or probably have some buzzing with the smaller diameter g-string. I am not too crazy about a buzzing string or the idea of having to knock out the nut and re-glue in a new nut just to change it back to a High G....my soprano is set up with the traditional High G, so I initially wanted to have my concert set-up Low G....I've never played one in LG, so I figured this would be a good opportunity for a new sound and some better sounding finger picking...

So what do you all think? Should go through with the Low G or order it in High G and then file it down a hair to put a Low G on? Now I am second guessing my decision to have it done in Low G. I recently ordered it, so I still have a few weeks to change if necessary.

Thanks for the input.

Matt

If the low g is a wound g (meaning a nylon core wrapped in some kind of metal) vs a non wound g (all nylon or fluorocarbon), you shouldn't need to change the nut to go between a wound low g and a high g. The string diameters between the two are close enough, whereas a non wound low g is significantly larger. Low g really is about what you prefer to hear and the kind of music you play - if you like the sound and play music that highlights it, go for it!

If you do go with low g, it does require some technique considerations when playing it so that it doesn't boom on you and getting a nice touch on it to balance the rest of the strings.

If you use a wound sting, for the low-G, you should not have any problems. Generally they are about the same size diameter as a high-G unwound string.

If you use an unwound string for the low-G the diameter is a larger diameter, so the nut slot would have to be larger. I don't think that there would be an impact to the nut even if you switched it to a high-G string, but there "may" be an intonation difference because of the change in diameter.

If you use a wound low-G there should not be any buzzing issues as the tension should be equivalent, along with the diameter. I'm not sure about unwound low-G.

I hope this helps!

John

I have never had a problem getting a low G string in a standard uke (Aquila wound or Worth flurocarbon). I can see how having the nut made especially for a low g could be a problem for a narrower string. I wouldn't have the slot made wider. I needed to be able to go back and forth to decide which I liked best (high g).

I've started to gravitate to wound low G over fat plastic.
The freemont soloist is pretty thin so I don't think you'd need to adjust the slot.
It's also pretty smooth if you're unused to the texture of a wound, and sliding is pretty quiet.
It feels alot more like a high g, but still get a low G.

I've started to gravitate to wound low G over fat plastic.
The freemont soloist is pretty thin so I don't think you'd need to adjust the slot.
It's also pretty smooth if you're unused to the texture of a wound, and sliding is pretty quiet.
It feels alot more like a high g, but still get a low G.

Thanks all for the input. I think I'll have it set up regular and buy a couple different low g to try (Aquila wound, freemont soloist, Worth, etc.).

I am getting excited to get my new concert. Waiting is the hard part! Thanks again everyone for the input on the low g vs high g.

It just seems my concert WANTS a low G. In any case, I find the experiment irresistible. Why not simply have your builder supply you with two nuts? If you're going to try various G-strings and you're at all like me, you will have to try the thin wound and the fluorocarbon (etc.) fattie. You do not have to glue the nuts in so long as they fit the nut slot really well...something your builder should be able to do with his ( or her ) eyes closed. It seems to me that ukulele saddles are not cut as deeply as they are on mandolins and guitars, so it's possible you can switch around without having to worry about a second saddle. It is crucial, though, that the fat sort of Low G sit at the proper height off the nut or it will intonate poorly at the first fret. How can you resist hearing what it sounds like?

Oh! I have the solution. Get a second concert so you can have one of each. ( hand to forehead ) Why didn't I think of that?

A second nut is a good idea. pointpergame is correct about not having to glue the nut if the nut slot and nut are well cut. I have a ukulele with a nut that was never glued in.

John

NOOO, don't do it, low G sounds horrible! :shaka:

I think I just learned something. This is the 1st time I've read that a wound G is a much smaller diameter than an unwound G....I just got an unwound G.
Maybe I should have....

NOOO, don't do it, low G sounds horrible! :shaka:

There are things that play easier on low G.
Stuff originally on guitar tends to work better on low G.
That extra couple lower notes... is handy.
Droning that open low g in stuff.. can be very nice.

There are things that play easier on high G.
Lots of stuff on uke works better in high G.

Low G sounds more full. High G sounds more sparkly.

Learn both, play both. it's all good.

I know that this is just a matter of opinion, but I honestly feel that it is the high G string that makes the ukulele unique and special. Otherwise it is essentially a four string mini-guitar (with a capo on it!). :music:

There are some Baroque numbers that are written for lo G that I want to learn. I'd like to find a wound lo G for my concert uke, so I dont have to file the nut.
Who makes them?
Who sells them?

Well, when I was trying out low G strings, I found the thinnest wound Southcoast string did not require any nut slot widening. Fit just fine. And I thought the volume balance was fine as well.

Well, when I was trying out low G strings, I found the thinnest wound Southcoast string did not require any nut slot widening. Fit just fine. And I thought the volume balance was fine as well.

Do you know who sells them bearbike? I've looked all over the place.

I finally gave low-g a try, and ended up not enjoying it. It's all very subjective. The two main aspects I didn't like were the disappearance of the "uke sound" when strummed, and that the low-g string gets too "thuddy" up the neck. The C (or in my tenor's case: Bb) string is a bit like that too, but less so, and it is one string out of three. Or more accurately put, I like the feel and sound of the high-g string just better.

Plus, I'm intrigued by the Campanella style and believe that re-entrant tuning is a defining feature of the ukulele. I think if I wanted to play the ukulele like a classical guitar, I'd probably get a classical guitar. But that is totally subjective, it isn't and shouldn't be a dogma.

I encourage you to try it, though. It was on my mind until I did give it a whirl, and it's good to settle the question for yourself. Otherwise you'll just keep wondering.

As pointed out, if using wound you should be fine. The other option is Aquila Red Low G (lots of people report breakage problems, many of us have had no problems).

Regardless, try it both ways. It's not very common to keep switching back and forth on the same uke. You'll probably prefer one sound of the other for that particular uke.

There are some Baroque numbers that are written for lo G that I want to learn. I'd like to find a wound lo G for my concert uke, so I dont have to file the nut.
Who makes them?
Who sells them?

A few sources for my favorite low G, wound, "squeakless" Fremont Soloist single string:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/fremont-soloist-squeakless-wound-low-g
http://www.elderly.com/fremont-solo...-soprano-ukes-squeakless-polished-wound-g.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fremont-SOL...akless-Polished-Ukulele-String-/182008027843?

Usually I get mine from HMS but I don't see them on the site right now.

Top Bottom