A Couple of Oldies

Tsani

Reaction score
Any information about these two ukes will be appreciated.

1. Marca Aquila Soprano - I know that Marca Aquila is the earliest name for Favilla. If someone can identify year of manufacture or model I would appreciate it.

2. P'mico Soprano - I know that P'mico is the "Progressive Musical Instrument Company" of New York. I think the uke is actually made by Regal for P'mico, or was bought up and had the P'mico label put on it for retail sale. I would like suggestions on cleaning it - should I or shouldn't I? What should I use? This uke has a great sound. I will be taking it to a local luthier for repairs.

Any information on these two ukes will be appreciated. See attached photos.

Attachments

• Aquila Uke 007.jpg
    Aquila Uke 007.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Aquila Uke 001.jpg
    Aquila Uke 001.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 36
  • P'mico Uke 001.jpg
    P'mico Uke 001.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P'mico Uke 003.jpg
    P'mico Uke 003.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 31
  • P'mico Uke 006.jpg
    P'mico Uke 006.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 28
P'mico was apparently pretty big in the 20's, 30's, and 40's. May Singhi Breen, the "Ukulele Lady" had some kind of a deal with them and they had line of ukes that got her endorsement. They also made the "LaDomino" ukes that you will see popping up on e-bay occasionally.

I think my P'mico is an early one - maybe from the 20's. The styling seems to be copying the early Martins. I don't think P'mico actually made any ukes - or anything else - themselves. They were a retail brand - like "Kenmore" appliances. Their product was made under contract by somebody else. I am pretty sure my uke is made by Regal. The small rounded headstock is typical of them.

It has a great sound. It's pretty loud and quite sweet. It has a tone that almost starts to remind you of a banjo uke, but more resonant.

I think might need to swap the strings on it. It has Martins on it right now, but I think they are a bit too "springy" or flexible for the low clearance on the fretboard. You occasionally get a little buzz and one of the strings jumped out of the nut one time. I think if I put on more substantial strings, like maybe Aquilas, the problem might be fixed.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my P'MICo uke. It has a sweet sound, I play it almost daily.

Attachments

• user10074_pic2514_1246638933.jpg
    user10074_pic2514_1246638933.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom