OUD LoPrinzi Model B Soprano

Rank_beginner

Reaction score
Aside from an old "Fortune" uke that goes on camping trips, my main player is a 2006 LoPrinzi Model B. This model is all mahogany and has a binding which I like because it protects the edges from bumps. Unfortunately, I still managed to get a ding on the side above the G string, and being right handed, it distracted me every time I played.

The holiday season found me visiting family in Central Florida. I made arrangements with Donna LoPrinzi to visit her showroom, and I brought the uke with me. After playing the ukes that Donna had on hand, she agreed to try to repair the ding mine and to lower the action at the same time. (I really had to resist asking for a loaner!) In the course of the morning, we talked about her training as a luthier and we looked at her workshop, wood storage area, etc. It was a lot of fun and very informative, even for my SO who appreciates art & craft but not necessarily musical instruments.

So after a few weeks of playing the Fortune and waiting for warmer weather (to ensure safe delivery), my old uke is back in my hands. It is once again the uke of my dreams--the ding is gone without a trace and the rest of the finish is as I left it, mostly satin except where polished by my playing. And speaking of playing, with lowered action it plays better than ever. The sound is excellent too. If I breath on it, it resonates, and notes ring with a clear, loud, lasting sound.

Uke makers come and go, but the LoPrinzis are, to mind, making a solid attractive product consistently, year in and year out.

IMG_1984.jpgIMG_1985.jpg

Nice post. She always gets high marks with customer service and the Ukes her family puts out.

It's nice when a person and their Uke are reunited.

It is nice to hear such good things about an instrument maker. Of course, everyone is different, and over many years I have met all types and my experience has been that those who treat their customers well and display the least ego tend to make the nicest instruments. Maybe they try harder or don't have to have the ego to hide their short comings. Just my two cents, but I am glad for makers like the LoPrinzi family.

Anyway, I was looking for a true soprano scale ukulele with 14 frets clear so that I can play more easily above the above the 12th fret and the only quality instrument that meets that need seems to be LoPrinzi, so I plan to add one when I find the right one. I have begun to communicate with Donna and she is very helpful. I expect to have a LoPrinzi ukulele before too long.

I also have an off topic question. When do you become a senior member? It doesn't really matter, but I am curious because I don't know how or when I went from Junior Member to a Member.

Last edited:
I also have an off topic question. When do you become a senior member? It doesn't really matter, but I am curious because I don't know how of when I went from Junior Member to a Member.

I think you need to reach 100 posts to become a senior member. :) You're almost there!

Yes, that is a beautiful success story.
I don't have a LoPrinzi, but Donna's shop is closeby. I've talked to her several times at TBUG, where last year she sold at least 5 LoPrinzi ukes. People just don't hardly ever give them up.
My friends that own them swear by them. My buddy Annie has a hard time picking between her LoPrinzi or her KoAloha to play, I told her I'd love to have that problem.

Top Bottom