Koa Update

sequoia

Reaction score
Here is the reclaimed urban koa piece I scored which was scorned here on earlier posts. Not really scorned but dissed a little bit. Working with it was an absolute bitch as predicted. Hard and brittle. Took me two weeks to get it thin. Like sanding iron... Sanded thin and braced stout with simple fan brace. Will be finished out in a couple weeks. Do I love this wood. You betcha. What fun.

DSCN6649.jpg

Cutting in binding channel. Slight problemo but nobody is going to know except you.

DSCN6653.jpg

I like the Uke of Turin, but I see a large bird of prey like an owl or perhaps a Klingon warship taking no prisoners. Gonna sound great too... Luthiers will note that I'm going to tie off the the two upper braces to the sides which I never do. Want that thing to be stable and taking no chances.

Looks like it is turning out to be a nice uke. Is it just me that sees a bottom in the pattern (was going to say bum but you Americans don't use that word for the same thing if my memory serves me

Where is your mind sir? In the gutter? Are you telling me you see a "bum" or as we say here in America an "ass" in my lovely Koa top? I'm shocked sir! Shocked... Wait... you might be right. Big Bottom Ukuleles? Below the immortal lyrics from one of Spinal Tap's greatest songs (these lyrics always tug at my heart and leave a small tear in my eye). Perhaps one of the greatest love songs ever written. A group from England I think.

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or so I have read

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom, drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

I met her on Monday, it was my lucky fun day
You know what I mean
I love her each weekday, each velvety cheekday
You know what I mean

My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights
Big game is waiting there inside her tights

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mudflaps, my girl's got 'em

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em

The ass_lele is born. Hang on does that mean the we have to rename the sound hole to the asshole?... Hmm think I'd better stop now.
��
I like the style of rosette. Is that pearl?

Sorry Luthiers Lounge for the Spinal Tap lyrics. Thought later that might almost get the thread locked... Yes, the rosette is mother of pearl but unfortunately cheap MOP and has no fire at all. Very disappointing. There is crap MOP and then there is good MOP. That is not good MOP. Sad to put all that work into a rosette and have it turn out like that. No fire. I know ab a little bit but not MOP. Live and learn.

Top Bottom