UAS with birthday moneys

Link

Reaction score
So I have some options here with birthday funds and would like some opinions :shaka:

Should I..
Get a nice pickup installed on my Mainland tenor and a hardshell case.

or

Get this with my b-day funds plus some reg funds:
http://tinyurl.com/cwfjm5

I really don't want to perform with my Mainland, but I know it would sound the best. I know the Kala isn't solid wood, but I almost prefer that for my performance uke. LEss to worry about. Also, I really love the cutaway on the Kala. I pretty much am in love with the looks of the Kala. And the hard case is a plus plus plus.

I've pretty much decided to try and see if I can get the Kala, but I'm wondering what you guys would do. Have someone cut in to your baby? It seriously took my two months of grief to even put a strap button on it, because I want no chance of ruining it.

Last edited:
I got a KA-KC from MGM last year and it is a nice playing uke. If you get that then you'll have 2 ukes instead of one:) Plus, Mainland is sure to come out with built-in pickup models soon (if they don't have them already) just wait and then you'll have 3...and oh my gosh it is happening again!! Be gone cursed UAS!! :D

Last edited:
If you're planning on gigging but you don't want to bring the Mainland, the Kala should be a great workhorse. It's laminate, so it won't sound as good as the Mainland, but it should be more durable and it's already electric. I'd say go for it!

I'm in a similar predicament right now. I'll be doing some small gigs with an acoustic group this summer, and the idea of drilling into my little Kamaka and bringing it out is a little scary. Looks like drilling into the Flea could be difficult too. Which is perfect justification for finding an inexpensive, electrified tenor that can take a beating. :D

hey John, i was actually thinking of putting a pickup in my Mainland so i could plug in at the open mics. Mike@Mainland told me they might have some models with built-in pickups coming in soon. If I end up putting one in anyway, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the votes, all. I know now what I must do. The UAS, it burns. But really, not ever UAS as much as need. I keep missing performance opportunities because I don't have an acou elec, and stick on pickups/any pickup that won't truly rep the great sound of my Precious, will never get within 5 miles of my Precious.

Russ, that's great news. I'm going to shoot him a message right quick. And let me know fo sho.

Last edited:
go for the kala! don't risk the mainland and it's good excuse for another uke ;)

But parrots are not as good as 'ammers.

Top Bottom