High G shouldn't play 4321?

akanotanindof

Reaction score
i heard from a sharing session where high G ukulele shouldn't play 4321 picking because 4th string is not the base string.
Is this true?

There are no rules when it comes to picking. Depends on the song. There is never a "shouldn't" in music. Do what sounds good with the group.

Yeah, no rules. What you heard might only apply to a specific song, or how someone wanted it to be played. Perhaps they wanted to stress the bass line or something. I would agree that picking 4 and 1 right after one another sounds weird in some picking patterns, when they are the same note.

Okay, I'm thick. Isn't a 4321 picking pattern basically an arpeggiated (or a slow) strum?

If it sounds right, play it. Hendrix played upside down, backwards and with his teeth. You can adapt pretty much any technique to most tunings.

I'm hardly an expert and I can't tell you what is right and what is wrong, but from experience this sort of picking usually sounds a bit odd on a high G because the first note is often the same as the last note. Try it with an A, A minor, or F chord and you will see what I mean. At the end of the day, if it sounds alright to you, then there is no problem with it, but it often sounds a bit odd to me.

The person who stated that "4321" was wrong was probably speaking in reference to a low note to high note arpeggio. So if someone on a re-entrant gcea wanted to go low to high, they would do an "inside-out" pick pattern. For example, 3124 or pluck the c string first, then the e, then g, then finally a. That's my guess.

Would it be wrong? No. There are gobs of ways to pick, including repeated strings and droning a certain string.

Okay, I'm thick. Isn't a 4321 picking pattern basically an arpeggiated (or a slow) strum?

No. An arpeggio starts on the root of the scale, continues to the 3rd, then the 5th notes, and you can then go for the 1st up an octave.
So in the key of C, it goes C, E, G C. If you start on a G - whether high or low, it isn't an arpeggio (AFAIK).

No. An arpeggio starts on the root of the scale, continues to the 3rd, then the 5th notes, and you can then go for the 1st up an octave.
So in the key of C, it goes C, E, G C. If you start on a G - whether high or low, it isn't an arpeggio (AFAIK).

Technically, you are correct. When I was learning, patterns other than root, 3rd, 5th were usually referred to as 'broken chords' with only the root, 3rd, 5th pattern being called an arpeggio. However, I think that is a bit of pedantry reserved for passing exams. Most people refer to any broken chord pattern as an 'arpeggio'. Arpeggio means 'harp like' because harpists can't strum chords in the way a fretted string player can and I'm sure harpists don't rigidly follow the root, 3rd, 5th order when picking out chords, especially if the music specifies a chord inversion, and the chords they play, oddly enough, still sound 'harp like'

Top Bottom