Strum n rhthym 4/4 time newbie help please

purplepisces0316

Reaction score
OK I can play lots of the strums but I'm still confused on the rhthym I believe example- somewhere over the rainbow way up high . most say use calpyso strum my question is looking at the strumming would it be - cord C some -down stroke ,where- down stroke ; cord Em ov- up stroke , er- up stroke , the - down stroke, rain- up stroke , bow - down stroke ; cord F way- down stroke , up- up stroke : cord C high- up stroke . OK now is this how the calpyso pattern would look for this song ; because it doesn't sound right to me any other way .please help

Isn't there anybody that can help me I've been practicing n can play lots of songs just not sure I'm playing them right they sound good to me but that does not make them right I have no one even close to !e that can help no teachers no clubs no other ukers n my internet does not work 99% of the time cuz I'm so far out help please

If it sounds good to you keep doing it. If it sounds like Iz, you're ahead of me.

Calypso strum is not easy and I took very long time to learn it. We need to very much get used to this strum and right hand should move automatically without any attention or care. This is the basic strum of syncopation, which has an accent on the back beat of second beat (up).
down down up up down up.
The third down beat is disappeared in order to stress the back beat of the second beat.
down down up .... up down up.

I've repeat "down down up up down up" many many times with steps. Hence we step on "down" and we do not step on "up", it is not easy in first stage.

Once I get used to this syncopation rhythm on mind, I repeat strum on this rhythm. I've moved my body and got the rhythm with my foot as well during strum until my right hand became a rhythm machine without any attention. It took more than a couple of days for me. I sang and step along with "down down up up down up" during taking a walk around my house.

After I've got the rhythm, I try hamming the song ( It was country roads take me home) many times. And finally I could sing the song with calypso strum.

Happy Strumming!

Top Bottom