Gave in to the power of the Mo'o

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I gave in to the power of the Mo'o more commonly known as the Gecko.
Grecko1Mango1-1.jpg

I was torn between a Ohana Sopranino, and a Tangi Manini but found Tangi had one last Mo'o (aka Gecko) left so after a lookover and trial play I snatched it up quick. The picture is from his website but I will post pictures of my own Mo'o when I find my camera. She is a beauty about the same size as a Ohana Sopranino but more voluptuous in figure. ;) Beautiful solid Mango body with Maple neck and Rosewood fretboard. I love the Paua abalone shell Mo'o Gecko inlay in the head. It is strung with Martin clear strings and sounds very clean though I think I will switch it out to Aquilas eventually. Since I can't afford a Black Bear sopranino pineapple yet this little Mo'o will keep me happy until that day comes. My pictures to come.

Just as a side note I was always under the impression that all Tangi ukuleles were made in Vietnam but talking with Tangi today he informed me that for the past 8 years all Tangi ukuleles were made here in Hawaii at his shop on Sand Island, Honolulu. Several years ago he did have his more popular models fabricated in Vietnam to help meet the demand but found that on the long run he was not saving any money when all costs were considered including shipping, import duty, and unacceptable rate of loss ukuleles from there not meeting his strict quality control thus unsalable. He switched back to total Hawaii production 8 years ago. My Mo'o is Hawaiian which made the buy even sweeter. He has some beautiful hand made in Hawaii ukuleles in his shop that I was able to handle and was very impressed with the workmanship, quality sound of each one. Please visit his website and take a look at what he has, I think you will be impressed, and his prices are very competitive even with import brands. http://www.tangiukuleles.net/ I have to mention that Tangi is one hell of a nice guy who is very passionate about playing, and building quality ukuleles, very easy to talk to. I have a new appreciation for Tangi ukuleles now that I have gotten to know their creator. :shaka:

Oh no, must resist the power of the Mango Pineapple and the Manini. The Force is strong with these two.
Congratulations on the Mo'o. How does the Mo'o compare in size to the Manini? What tuning do you plan to use? I saw the Ohana Sopranino and Tangi Manini comparison video and the Tangi tuned up sounded fantastic. Very clear, bright and crisp. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and would love to hear and see it in action. Any plans to post a video?
Ray

That is one cool looking ukulele, and added to that the cuteness factor... can't be beat. I am usually not a big favorite of decoration on ukuleles, but this looks very tasteful and neat.

Please do share your experiences with us in sight and sound :)

really beautiful. i do like the inlay on the headstock too. very nice!

Hey, send me your gecko and I'll do a comparison video with the Ohana and the Manini.

And I'll send it right back to ya.

Yup.. That's what i'll do.

send it back.

Right back.

Mm Hmmm.....

;)

hey, send me your gecko and i'll do a comparison video with the ohana and the manini.

And i'll send it right back to ya.

Send it back.

Right back.

Mm hmmm.....

;)

It's a trap!

Hey, send me your gecko and I'll do a comparison video with the Ohana and the Manini.

And I'll send it right back to ya.

send it back.

Right back.

Mm Hmmm.....

;)

Yup - he'll send a Kala with curls drawn on it with a Sharpie right back to you. ;-)

Congrats on your new uke!

Yup - he'll send a Kala with curls drawn on it with a Sharpie right back to you. ;-)

Congrats on your new uke!

A Kala? Alan will send some weird old plastic thing!

Tangi's status?

Hey Ahnko:

So what's the status of Tangi's clearance? Does he still have quite a few? I've tried to contact him via email a couple times - he tends to send back fairly cryptic replies (last time I asked about whether he had some sopranos left...a week later I got one picture back in email with no explanation or anything). I haven't called 'cause I hate the phone...I figure anything that's keeping UAS at bay - like resisting a phone call - is a good thing!

Still...if he had a nice soprano it might be hard to say no...

Jon

Hey Ahnko:

So what's the status of Tangi's clearance? Does he still have quite a few?
Still...if he had a nice soprano it might be hard to say no...

Jon

He's not great with emails, usually one word answers, much more personable in person. He has stopped making ukuleles but seemed to have a decent inventory on display and in back stock for now. He had several varieties of sopranos including solid Koa, Mango, and a 19th century replica he calls the Kawika. I felt like a kid in a candy store.
ViolinShape.gif

What I appreciated while there was that he was not trying to push his ukulele like a salesman but just showing them with pride. There was one curly Mango pineapple that I was admiring and he said he couldn't sell me that one because the action was slightly too high, only after adjustment would he sell.
I'm not sure I would have noticed but he noticed and refused to sell until it was made right to him, I admire that. :shaka:

Top Bottom