What's Your Playing Approach?

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know how many of you fingerpick and how many strum/sing, and, I guess, how many do both?

With my ukuleles I strum/whistle/sing; I fingerpick other instruments.

Sooo, whadayado? :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I'm still learning everything, so I'm all over the place. But, I do not sing. I lack the courage, I think, but I do start to hum! I like strumming in the sense of developing rhythmic pattern, and I came to realize that good strumming is a form of art. My timing is awful, says my Mr. Metronome, so I'm working on that. I started getting a bit more in fingerpicking lately and bought Aaron's Keim book, but for the most part is do scaled and arpeggios. Improving in that area is on my list!

So in the way, I actually don't play for recreation, I practice for recreation!

I'd be interested to know how many of you fingerpick and how many strum/sing, and, I guess, how many do both?

With my ukuleles I strum/whistle/sing; I fingerpick other instruments.

Sooo, whadayado? :eek:ld:

Why not set this up as a poll?

I play mostly fingerstyle.

I'd rather have it conversational. We don't talk about our playing often enough. I think the forum should be about more than NUDs and string types/brands.

The thing I like most about my Uking and general music hobby is the study and learning. Grow and groove . . . :eek:ld:

I was a drummer all my life and just picked up the ukulele in the past decade. I know nothing at all about theory or even where the individual notes are along the neck, but I think my rhythmic abilities are very good. When guitarists hear me play, they actually think I know what I'm doing and assume I have been a string man from the beginning. I can't pluck a melody or play a solo to save my life, though!

To cover up my shortcomings, I've actually developed the confidence to sing while I'm playing, which is something I could never do while I was playing drums professionally for 20 years plus. It has been freeing to not be so self-conscious and I credit the ukulele with helping me break out of a lot of my old insecurities.

I'm probably about 90% strummer/singer. I admire fingerstyle players, but am still learning the fretboard and it's a slow go for me. I'm not a great singer but I enjoy singing and if I find the right key for a song, I can do an ok job of it.

Papa Tom, I think you got it right. Probably none of us sing worth a darn, but singing is fun. Lots of us say we can't sing, but, when we do it at church or at a picnic or a party, it's very enjoyable.

The trouble is that we hear recorded music or music on the radio or TV or movies, and it's perfect! There are no false starts, no drifting slightly off key, no forgetting the words . . . just music perfection! But we can, instead, just let ourselves go, get a good strum going and belt out a few fun tunes for a private concert.

I whistle a lot, and I'm a pretty good whistler. I sing too, when I can remember the words, and strumming along makes it all the more enjoyable. Sometimes, in public, people look me strangely when I'm humming or whistling, but I don't care, I enjoy my music a lot.

And I guess that's what it's all about. It's not what you know about music, it's how you use what you know. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
bunnyf, for a long time I refused to fingerpick, stubbornly sticking to strumming/singing, but my fingers refused to go along with that practice. So, little by little I gave in, and now I'm learning a lot of fingerpicking stuff.

I can't believe how clumsy and inept I am at fingerpicking. It takes me two or three days to learn some easy exercises. It's so much easier on a valved or keyed instrument--you press a valve, you get a note. And you don't have both hands doing something different at the same time. I had the same trouble with my keyboard too.

But, anyway, keep at it. Playing scales helped me a lot to learn the fretboard. I guess it just takes time. :eek:ld:

I am an absolute uke beginner but trying to practice both strumming and fingerpicking equally. In a past life I was a singer but just getting used to learning to sing while playing the uke - it is hard! I always used a piano when songwriting and I was just lead vocal when performing so just not used to it but I will ge there. I naturally gravitate towards finger picking as I struggle maintaining a rhythm. Ah practice makes perfect though huh ;)

For me, mostly strumming accompanied by my croaking; the rest finger picking and a mixture. I have been noodling out some new tunes in the tin pan alley style for the last few weeks. Mostly, I just have lots of fun. My ukuleles make me smile a lot.

I've been at it for a few years now and still only consider myself just a marginal strummer (strum only). But that's fine for me. I still enjoy it / look forward to it / relaxes me.

And, natchez, that's what it's all about. Noodling is a truly satisfying pastime, sorta like splashing your feet in a cool stream. :eek:ld:

For me, it is a combination of everything.

I started fingerpicking when I played guitar, because I couldn't hold onto a pick for love nor money, and fingerpicks and I didn't get along at all.

I don't practice - I play. And the more I play, the better I'm getting at whatever it is that I do.

I do a lot of noodling, and I sing, and one of the most important things I've found is to play with, or around other people.

-Kurt​

I play chords and sing along. If it's a fast song I strum, if it's a sad/slow song I use a rhythmic fingerpicking pattern (usually the same 'outside-in' one for 4/4).

If it's a little-bit-country I might attempt a Carter-style-bum-ditty-strum-pick-hybrid-thingie, depending on my mood ;)

I'm kind of like jollyboy. I sing to strumming or one of 3 arpeggios I've managed to learn. I mix it up though. I've done songs with as many as 5 different patterns, and I've been known to tap the uke for percussion and play kazoo... whatever...

I just did a version of Hotel California for SotU 206 with 3 different picking patterns and some strumming for effect...

Last edited:
For me, it is a combination of everything.

I started fingerpicking when I played guitar, because I couldn't hold onto a pick for love nor money, and fingerpicks and I didn't get along at all.

I don't practice - I play. And the more I play, the better I'm getting at whatever it is that I do.

I do a lot of noodling, and I sing, and one of the most important things I've found is to play with, or around other people.

-Kurt​

This just about covers my situation, 'cept that I finally learned to use a plectrum (after 40+ years) 'cos I wanted to play mandolin. When I started I found I needed a little extra grip and the Jim Dunlop nylon picks helped a lot. Now I've got the hang of one I use a variety of mostly harder and stiffer picks without problem ... still can't get on with a thumb-pick though ;)

I used to be able to sing "well enough to be invited back" but older age and life-style changes now mean I have difficulty holding pitch :mad:

So, as far as the ukulele is concerned, I play some stuff fingerstyle, mostly claw-hammer and lute music, some stuff with a plectrum, mostly dance tunes ... jigs, reels etc., and I'll strum along with just bout anything that takes my fancy :)

I am new to the ukulele and infact to musical instruments in general. My only other attempt was guitar lessons when I was a teenager, and that is 15 years ago now. I quit really fast because the teacher tried to get me to fingerpick really difficult stuff, and I had never ever held an instrument before. It put me off real quick.

I started playing the ukulele just 2 months ago actually, just before christmas. It all started with me going on parental leave (in Sweden we have roughly 480 days of goverment paid parental leave, split beween the parents), and I wanted something fun I could do while being home with my daughter. I found a cheap soprano uke in my favorite hardware store (which sell all kinds of stuff) and was immediatly hooked.
My approach now is that I play because its something I enjoy, and that I can share with my baby daughter of 10months. So far I exclusively strum and sing. I am not the best singer in the world, but not all bad either according to my wife (thankfully, at least she can put up with me singing and playing :p).

I was a drummer all my life and just picked up the ukulele in the past decade. I know nothing at all about theory or even where the individual notes are along the neck, but I think my rhythmic abilities are very good. When guitarists hear me play, they actually think I know what I'm doing and assume I have been a string man from the beginning. I can't pluck a melody or play a solo to save my life, though!

To cover up my shortcomings, I've actually developed the confidence to sing while I'm playing, which is something I could never do while I was playing drums professionally for 20 years plus. It has been freeing to not be so self-conscious and I credit the ukulele with helping me break out of a lot of my old insecurities.

Kind of similar story here. Drums are my lifelong instrument. Got paid to drum sometimes. Actually went 20 years without owning or playing a drum set. Did some fife and drum and pipe band drumming during that time though.

Started Uke back in 2009, after a few failed attempts at classical guitar. Started fingerstyle right off, because the Uke was a smaller, friendlier classical guitar, right? Besides, chords were hard! ( except C and A minor ).

Strumming and chords got better when I Started playing in a "Ukulele support group" once a month. Rochester NY peeps know about that.

I sing while playing also. I may post some vids sometime this year. Then you all can tell where I stand on that front...

I play and sing 2x a month at a nursing home nearby. Sometimes I use the Uke to add spice in music at Church. I will even play a kick drum while uking and singing .

I have started drumming again , even drumming and singing sometimes. The Uke has really transformed me as a musician, even as a person. My drumming used to be driven, often by what I was not as a drummer, instead of enjoying and making music with who I was. Now, the Uke, and the community and philosophy that go with it, has helped me stop competing , stop worrying about what I am not as a musician, singer, drummer, person , and just make the best music I can. It is wonderful, and much more fun!

I have learned more theory since taking up the Uke. I now know how chords are made, what chord progressions are, even how to write songs. And it all has happened gradually, and naturally. It is very haphazard, and I Study and search things out when I need or want to know them. Until then, I don't worry about it.

I am so thankful for music, the Ukulele, and this community. My life is greatly richer, and some people even enjoy the music I get to help create.

😀

Top Bottom