FS Larrivee UT-40-MC Cedar/Mahogany Tenor Ukulele + case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
For sale: Cedar and mahogany Larrivee tenor, in "like new" condition. This is the only cedar top Larrivee tenor uke I have seen. Cedar adds some nice warmth to the sound. Purchased in December 2015. It's a great player, very light, thinner bodied (2.62" depth), with a comfortable neck, and great setup for easy fretting. Fit and finish are as good as it gets. Took off sale for a while as it sounds too good. But it's time to reduce my number of ukes.

Sound sample Oasis Warm + Fremont Soloist low g.
https://app.box.com/s/ppdyhs7c2ckfppgk97jmark6hi9dx8iw
Updated asking price: $625 + shipping, if you can pay using PayPal Friends and Family (no fees).

Or $645 + shipping, regular PayPal

Here’s all the specs:
  • Solid Cedar Top
  • Solid Mahogany Back & Sides
  • Mahogany Neck
  • Ebony Fingerboard & Bridge
  • Inlayed bone border on bridge.
  • Maple binding on Body and Fingerboard
  • Ebony Headplate with Inlayed “Larrivee” shell Logo
  • Marquetry Rope Rosette & Top Purfling
  • Bone nut & saddle
  • Grover Open Back, Engraved, Geared Tuners
  • MOP top fret markers, black side markers
  • Made in California, USA
  • Finish: Satin lacquer
  • Bracing Pattern: Bridge Plate/3 Fan/Tonebars
  • 1-13/32" Nut Width
  • 17" Scale Length
  • Body Depth: 2.62"
  • Custom-fitted, Softshell (hard foam) Case
  • Condition: Like New condition

Pics are before I changed out the strings.
P1070571_zpssu5wwb2z.jpg

P1070577_zpsty5zfoiq.jpg

P1070576_zpswkqn3xjd.jpg

P1070574_zpsezjwonuv.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks, price drop.

$625 + shipping, if you can pay using PayPal Friends and Family (no fees).

Or $645 + shipping, regular PayPal.

This is a tremendous price and Uke ... someone will be very fortunate.

Thanks Simon. This Larrivee must have been a special order by Sylvan to get a cedar top.

Sounds great. I have a Larrivee Parlor guitar all mahogany and have had other Larrivee's. Are the ukuleles built lighter than their guitars and is the finish thinner?

Thank you.

Sounds great. I have a Larrivee Parlor guitar all mahogany and have had other Larrivee's. Are the ukuleles built lighter than their guitars and is the finish thinner?

Thank you.

Never had a Larrivee guitar, but this Larrivee tenor ukulele is lightly built as ukes go (like a good uke should be built).
The satin finish is thin and smooth. I'm impressed with Larrivee's build quality.

Never had a Larrivee guitar, but this Larrivee tenor ukulele is lightly built as ukes go (like a good uke should be built).
The satin finish is thin and smooth. I'm impressed with Larrivee's build quality.

I've never played a Larrivee ukulele, but have owned four Larrivee guitars - each one was very, very good. I'd own them all still, except that I moved them on to a friend, a cousin-in-law, and moved my parlor to fund a different purchase. My current is one that will never go!

I've been sitting here trying to justify buying this, but just can't do it - sorry. The price seems very good, and I definitely trust what Larrivee produces - they are a top notch company!

Somebody please buy this, so it stops taunting me

Hi Everyone. Been a longtime lurker here as I am an on-again/off-again player. Been waiting for the children to get old enough to start playing with me. Anyway, it's been a few years since I've played and I have a few ukes: Ohana Vita Soprano, Fluke Concert, Applause Soprano are all in the collection.

I've been wanting to sort of pass these ukes over to the children and buy something on the higher end for myself. This Larrivee looks AWESOME!

Here's my question. I have short fingers, but sizable hands. From pinky-tip to thumb-tip it measures about 8.25", yet I wear a large or XL glove due to palms. I used to struggle bigtime trying to play a full-scale guitar.

I can do reasonably well on my Fluke Concert and with real practice, I'm sure I could do quite well.

Would it be advisable to get a tenor like this Larrivee with my short fingers? Or will I be setting myself up for regret?
If this was a Concert Uke I'd have pulled the trigger already.

Thanks! I love this place, btw.

Hi Everyone. Been a longtime lurker here as I am an on-again/off-again player. Been waiting for the children to get old enough to start playing with me. Anyway, it's been a few years since I've played and I have a few ukes: Ohana Vita Soprano, Fluke Concert, Applause Soprano are all in the collection.

I've been wanting to sort of pass these ukes over to the children and buy something on the higher end for myself. This Larrivee looks AWESOME!

Here's my question. I have short fingers, but sizable hands. From pinky-tip to thumb-tip it measures about 8.25", yet I wear a large or XL glove due to palms. I used to struggle bigtime trying to play a full-scale guitar.

I can do reasonably well on my Fluke Concert and with real practice, I'm sure I could do quite well.

Would it be advisable to get a tenor like this Larrivee with my short fingers? Or will I be setting myself up for regret?
If this was a Concert Uke I'd have pulled the trigger already.

Thanks! I love this place, btw.

Hard to say if the tenor scale would be a problem for you. But the differences between a Fluke concert and standard tenor are small.
Looking at the spacing for the first 7 frets for a Fluke concert (15.5" scale) and a standard 17" tenor scale, the difference between the two scales is 0.415 inch for spanning frets 1 to 7.

15.500" fret scale: fret spacing
fret from nut fret to fret
1 0.870" 0.870" (nut-1)
2 1.691" 0.821" (1-2)
3 2.466" 0.775" (2-3)
4 3.198" 0.732" (3-4)
5 3.888" 0.690" (4-5)
6 4.540" 0.652" (5-6)
7 5.155" 0.615" (6-7)
Distance fret 1-7 : 4.285"

17.000" fret scale: fret spacing
fret from nut fret to fret
1 0.954" 0.954" (nut-1)
2 1.855" 0.901" (1-2)
3 2.705" 0.850" (2-3)
4 3.507" 0.802" (3-4)
5 4.264" 0.757" (4-5)
6 4.979" 0.715" (5-6)
7 5.654" 0.675" (6-7)
Distance fret 1-7 : 4.70"

From StewMac :http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

Last edited:
I'm with you if it was the concert size I would be all over it. For me I have small hands and I like playing ukulele because it's a small instrument. I have tried to like playing tenors but I can't. My preferred size is concert with at least 14 frets. I also have one little Sopranos that. sits next to my bed and its a daily player. Sounds like you have two Sopranos one concert which is a bit of a stretch so I would say don't go for the tenor. of course now if a great deal on a concert Larrivee gets listed you and I will be fighting over it. I have had the opportunity to play and purchase a couple of amazing gorgeous tenors and I just could not get used to them. Like squeezing into those pants that are two sizes too small just can't do it. You wanted an opinion. Someone will buy this and be very happy. Beautiful instrument great player luscious tone and fab price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom