KIWAYA KTC-2 or Martin CK1

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all getting a new uke for birthday and have got these 2 in mind. I mainly finger pick. Has any body had experience of both of these and would like to share your feelings on them.
Thanks Phil.

Limited experience with the Martin but have played the Kiwaya a fair amount and it was lovely. Really easy to play and very high quality finishing, everything was tight and right. I honestly would not say that either of your options are ukes designed for fingerstyle but of the two i'd say the kiwaya is the one with the slightly wider neck, easier to play and more clarity and note separation suited for fingerstyle the player.

I have the Martin CK1 and love it. Like you (Phil), I mainly play Fingerstyle and on this uke, the notes ring beautifully. There's great note separation and it's easy to play. I am very happy with this uke! That being said, I've heard great things about the Kiwaya too and I'm hoping I can try one of those out too someday.

Kiwaya. Yep, Kiwaya.

If You want a new Martin that is finished beautifully , buy the Kiwaya . I think either one is a great choice. I have a KTS-4 and the action seems just a little lower than
a vintage or new Martin . I don't know if this is the same with the concert size but if you do alot of fingerpicking this may be a consideration.
For fingerpicking I'd go with the Martin.

Last edited:
Kiwaya. Yep, Kiwaya.

I have tried a vintage Martin Concert and it was nice ... but I would tend to pick the Kiwaya if I was comparing the two new models ... Steve has lots of experience and I think he still owns the Concert Kiwaya ... so that would give you an idea.

I had the Kiwaya KTC-1 and it played and sounded great plus the wood and finish were first class.

One more consideration for fingerpicking , You can get a 12 fret neck on Kiwaya rather than the extended fretboard.

One more consideration for fingerpicking , You can get a 12 fret neck on Kiwaya rather than the extended fretboard.

The KTC-2 and KTC-3 have extended fretboards. Only the KTC-1 has the short fretboard.

I have tried a vintage Martin Concert and it was nice ... but I would tend to pick the Kiwaya if I was comparing the two new models ... Steve has lots of experience and I think he still owns the Concert Kiwaya ... so that would give you an idea.

That's true, Simon, that I still own the Kiwaya concert. Wow, you have an encyclopedic memory. Yes, that's true.

Top Bottom