The famer's market.

Rllink

Reaction score
I was at the farmer's market in Old San Juan on Saturday and there was a young man there who had a table, and he was playing the ukulele, between customers. He was very very good. He had this ukulele that looked kind of old, and most definitely well worn, but it still sounded good.

Farmer's market OSJ..jpg

A good player can make anything sound good.

I read a bio of Charley Parker many years ago. Due to his drug habit he frequently had his sax at the pawn shop. When he had a gig he would be scrambling around looking for an instrument to play. He often ended up on stage with very substandard instruments but nobody noticed and nobody cared cause he could play. The moral of this story is that I need to improve a lot before taking up heroin.

maybe it was on old Martin, I have one that is old and well worn and sounds amazing!

The moral of this story is that I need to improve a lot before taking up heroin.

Hahahahahaha. They say it's good to have goals. ;-)

Hahaha literally lol

I read a bio of Charley Parker many years ago. Due to his drug habit he frequently had his sax at the pawn shop. When he had a gig he would be scrambling around looking for an instrument to play. He often ended up on stage with very substandard instruments but nobody noticed and nobody cared cause he could play. The moral of this story is that I need to improve a lot before taking up heroin.

Hahahahahaha. They say it's good to have goals. ;-)

LOL. I guess I need something more to aim for. I guess heroin will do.

See ya at the methadone clinic! :)

I ended up going home, getting my uke, and coming back. We jammed for quite a while, but then some guys showed up with guitars and amps, and put us out of business. But it was fun while it lasted. The guy told me to come by earlier on Saturday, because the guys with guitars show up at eleven. We will have to see about that. I don't get moving real fast in the morning.

I ended up going home, getting my uke, and coming back. We jammed for quite a while, but then some guys showed up with guitars and amps, and put us out of business. But it was fun while it lasted. The guy told me to come by earlier on Saturday, because the guys with guitars show up at eleven. We will have to see about that. I don't get moving real fast in the morning.

Way cool story and photo. Looks like you got the makings for a "farmers market duo" . Good stuff Rolli, I love your stories of just heading off and playing out!!

Last edited:
Dang, I got up and took my uke to the farmer's market yesterday, and they were closed. It is held in an old building with a huge courtyard in the middle of it. They started a renovation project. No one seems to know if it is just a week that they will be working on it, or if it will be forever. So I guess I will wait for the next opportunity to come along. In the mean time, there is a big Circus Fest next weekend, which is spread out all over Old San Juan. It tends to draw a share of buskers, so I'm thinking of finding a corner. We will see.

You know a solid wood instrument will improve with playing. This one looks well played and well loved.

Top Bottom