Do you build other instruments as well?

seattle

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to how many of you who build ukuleles also build other stringed instruments?

I'm not looking for a custom builder (can't afford it) but I'm just curious as to whether any of you builders has made a charango?

It's just essentially a soprano ukulele with a longer neck and larger headstock since it has 10 strings.

Or perhaps you also build guitars or mandolins or what other instruments have you tried even if you primarily build ukuleles?

I have built and repaired ukes of all sizes, guitars acoustic and electric, banjos, violins and repaired all of the violin family, dulcimers, mandolins, vihuelas, bajo sextos, guitarrons and a lot of other string instruments I can't remember.

I did some research and came across this instrument:

Walaycho.jpg

Interesting. I was not familiar with this instrument. Pronouncing it sounds like a sneeze; the Walaycho. Gesundheit! Personally I would love to whip this thing out at my next uke gig, but it would probably take me an hour to tune up. Has anyone on here actually built or played a Walaycho?

I did some research and came across this instrument:

View attachment 88624

Interesting. I was not familiar with this instrument. Pronouncing it sounds like a sneeze; the Walaycho. Gesundheit! Personally I would love to whip this thing out at my next uke gig, but it would probably take me an hour to tune up. Has anyone on here actually built or played a Walaycho?

I've never been clear if a Walaycho is just another term for a Charango as it sure looks like my Charango.

It does take a while to get it tuned up when you first change strings and for several days after that as well. Like any other instrument though, once the strings have stabilized it doesn't take long to check the tuning.

If you can play a ukulele you can play a charango. It does have a cool sound. If just bought another one on ebay today!

Top Bottom