A Heartfelt Thankyou

SamWise

Reaction score
I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all you guys and girls. I used to play in bands, spent most of my spare time on music, partly because I loved it, but also because it was what I thought I would do for a living.

About 4 years ago (at age 32!) my last band split up, and I finally accepted that I was never gonna be a rock and roll star. I also managed to find a day job that I really like, and had a lot going on. The result of this was that I more or less stopped playing. My guitar would come out for parties, and I played when I was reviewing instruments, but that was honestly about it. I was very happy, and busy doing other things, but when I thought about it, I felt sad that all my instruments were gathering dust, and I wasn't doing what I had always loved the most. The fact was, though, that I wasn't about to start another band, or even a solo performing project (just not enough time), and that unlike in my youth, I'm really not surrounded by people who play music for fun.

Then, last year, I got commissioned to write a review of 12 ukuleles, so in the spirit of doing my research properly, I found this place, and started learning to play. I've never looked back. I'm playing everyday, not just uke but guitar, bass, melodeon, whistles and flutes, steel guitar, all sorts of things. I'm loving posting Youtube videos (it's like an open mic night without leaving your home!), and testament to that would be that I've done 46 of them since October. My playing and singing are both improving once more, and I'm making better sounding stuff all the time. I'm even starting to feel like writing songs again. This has mostly been down to the positivity and enthusiasm of people here, the silly but fun contests, and the general community. So, thankyou, you've all helped me find my music mojo again!

Rock on, Sam!

I've seen some of your instrument reviews in Acoustic magazine (wasn't it?). Good stuff.

:music:

Thanks for the post, SamWise! I agree that this is a great group of folks.

I had a sort of similar path. Except I actually did gain some success in playing music for a living (as a keyboardist). Certainly not a "rock star", and I never got rich. Just an anonymous road musician. But I got to go a lot of places and play a lot of music for a lot of people. It was great.

Well, it was great when I was in my 20's anyway. But at some point, certain things in life start to seem pretty attractive. Boring adult stuff. Like having health insurance. And money to retire on one day. And a steady paycheck. And having my weekend nights free to have an actual social life with normal women. :p

So I got a "real job". At first it was strange. I mean, if you define yourself as a musician, but then you no longer play music for a living, what are you?

I discovered a couple of things. First, defining yourself primarily by what you do for a living is a bad idea for anyone.

Second, being a musician has nothing to do with playing music for a living. If you create music, you're a musician, plain and simple.

In fact, I find that I'm even truer to my music now that I'm not relying on it for rent. The gigs I do play now are mostly straight-ahead jazz. They don't pay much, but they don't have to. They are fun, challenging, and have contributed to my musical growth. It's those criteria, far more than the size of the paycheck or the crowd, that really matter, and having a day gig frees you to focus on them.

I've also realized that making music is for everyone. That's why I like the uke! There's something about it that gives people permission to become musicians themselves.

JJ

Yep, Y'all have inspired me and challenged me to try things I wouldn't have ever thought of trying.

To most people, "Music" means turning on the ipod. I consider it an honor to be part of a community where "Music" means picking up an instrument and making some noise.

My ukulele hero was always my Dad with his Kamaka Pineapple of Power! He was unstoppable but after his passing it really knocked the wind out of my sails and I had no desire to play for a long time. This site has helped reawaken my love of the ukulele and hopeful return ukulele music magic back into the old homestead which has been missing it for such a long time. Mahalo Dad, mahalo UU.

three cheers for UU. what a wonderful place this is. the entire uke community on here and youtube is so enthustiastic and encouraging.

First off, I must say that I am honoured by your numerous entries to my contest, Sam. I never expected anyone to work that hard for a box of mints. I can't thank you enough.

And to the rest of yoUU beautiful people, I offer my thanks as well. My first connection to music was a 3/4 (or 2/3) scale "Jay jr" electric guitar. It was fun, mainly for jamming with my dad in the summer, but I couldn't get very deep into it. I practised on occasion, but not terribly often. Then I saw Jake's famous Youtube video. It got me interested in watching people play the ukulele. From there I found UKISOCIETY's videos. That was when it happened. I asked Alan what uke he would recommend for a starter. He said Ohana, I bought my tk-20 from MGM, and I began playing. Now, thanks to UU, I practice every night. I've gotten my cousin to give the uke a shot, hosted a contest, and planned to enter another.

I've never been this passionate about anything before! I owe it all to the greatest community in the world.

First off, I must say that I am honoured by your numerous entries to my contest, Sam. I never expected anyone to work that hard for a box of mints. I can't thank you enough.

And to the rest of yoUU beautiful people, I offer my thanks as well. My first connection to music was a 3/4 (or 2/3) scale "Jay jr" electric guitar. It was fun, mainly for jamming with my dad in the summer, but I couldn't get very deep into it. I practised on occasion, but not terribly often. Then I saw Jake's famous Youtube video. It got me interested in watching people play the ukulele. From there I found UKISOCIETY's videos. That was when it happened. I asked Alan what uke he would recommend for a starter. He said Ohana, I bought my tk-20 from MGM, and I began playing. Now, thanks to UU, I practice every night. I've gotten my cousin to give the uke a shot, hosted a contest, and planned to enter another.

I've never been this passionate about anything before! I owe it all to the greatest community in the world.

:)I love happy endings! :):):)

I never expected anyone to work that hard for a box of mints. I can't thank you enough.

It's not the mints, it's the glory! Well, the mints do look delicious, and everything, but really, it was just a great excuse to roll out lots of good 60's songs. Anything that focuses my wandering mind!

Sam, thanks for starting this thread. And, for the others who have posted their thoughts so far. It is very special how our music making, no matter how good or bad - reaches down deep within us. We all have a story to tell as we spin around on this mortal coil.

On a lighter note, in reference to Ukulele JJ, would you be so kind as to explain what is a "normal woman?" Just asking? ;)

Due to UU I've found great camraderie and found that maybe, just maybe, I'm not all musical thumbs after all. I've had other hobbies, but never have I been so inspired that I went out and found a teacher and regularly take lessons.

My son asked me the other day, "So Dad, when you get really comfortable with your ukulele - will you go downtown on the weekends and play on the street corners just for the fun of it?"

You know what? I just might...

So, thankyou, you've all helped me find my music mojo again!

Sam, when you re-found yours.....you didn't happen to see mine lying around anywhere, did you? :D

Actually, I'm having more fun on UU and with my new uke than a guy ought to be able to have with his pants on (well, when I have pants on, that is). ;)

God forbid! Americans do many things well, not least making music. Making beer, however, is a distinct weakness!

God forbid! Americans do many things well, not least making music. Making beer, however, is a distinct weakness!

Sorry, that was my feeble attempt at humor. An obscure reference to this commercial from about , um 13 years ago (dang, time flies):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYNNH8WX9Eo

For the record, I totally agree with your comments that started this thread. :)
(The beer comment, we will have to debate further...over a pint perhaps)

Last edited:
Top Bottom