Which Bari do you think is best?

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know that this is a very wide open question as I have not given any price parameters but would like to hear the thoughts of the Bari community. I am being drawn towards this scale length and was wondering if, to get a really nice instrument, I have to restrict my search to the upper end (custom, limited production, etc).

As with other scales of ukulele, some of it is personal preference. I own a Kamaka baritone and a Mya-Moe baritone, and the Kamaka was essentially an upgrade from my first baritone, which was a Pono solid mahogany baritone. Each has (or had) its own voice; my Kamaka has a rich Hawaiian voice, my Mya-Moe sounds (as is tru for me with all Mya-Moes) a little more like a guitar, and my Pono fell somewhere along the Kamaka end of that spectrum. What's best is essentially what's best for you. If there's a production brand of ukulele whose sound you prefer, chances are you will prefer a baritone made by the same manufacturer. I liked my Pono baritone just fine, and when I got my Mya-Moe I hung onto them both for a bit because they sounded different. I sold my Pono when I got my Kamaka because the Kamaka was lighter and sounded a little richer to my ear. John Kinnard and Eric DeVine make beautiful baritone ukes (those are the only two custom builders whose baritones I've played), but given the prices of those two baritones (and my purchase of a kinnard tenor guitar), I was not persuaded to upgrade from my Kamaka.

I have three baritones you can look at Hollis. The nicest one is made by Scott Wise. The two others are a low cost Ohana BK20 and a 1960s Luna made in Japan for Rhythm Band Texas.
Obviously I am going to think the Scott Wise is the best. His workshop is 2 hours from Perth, near a chocolate factory, several breweries and wineries and a nice beach. Well worth arranging a visit to the workshop if you are looking. Instead of paying $100 extra for postage, you can get better wood or something extra.

Thanks Bill, I'd like to do that. Re Scott Wise, I am sure a Bari from him would be great like everything else that I have seen come from workshop. I suspect though that I will be looking for a pre-loved instrument, maybe one that I can trade my DaSilva Martim 3K soprano for. As you know I tend to favour what Peter Howlett calls a California style (spruce/cedar top and a darker wood for back and sides).

Depends on what you mean by "really nice". From your signature, I'd say your definition of "really nice" does lie in the upper end and things like Mya Moe, K brands, Barron River, Wise, etc. would be on your list. Add Ono to that list - I've only had mine a few days but it definitely falls into the "really nice" category.

There's another thread with folks talking about cheap baris you might want to explore just to get a sense of what you like.

I am not exactly sure why this is so, but as to tone, in my experience there is less of a difference between a larger price range among baritones than any other size of ukulele, provided that they are solid wood of the same species. I mean to say that mahogany exhibits its particular tonal properties as distinguished from spruce, for example, in a baritone quite clearly. I once played a Martin (likely from the 1960s given the interior stamp) side-by-side with a Kala solid mahogany baritone. They both sounded quite good; the Martin was a little better, richer I would say, but not by so much. I can't say the same about similar comparisons among sopranos. My considerations in deciding on a baritone would focus on tone wood and, especially, playability.

If you like the "signature sound" of a particular maker, I believe chances are you will really appreciate it in a baritone. Same with playability concerns like neck profile and such.

I've played a few Wise ukuleles, albeit not a baritone, and was very impressed with them. I also am fortunate to have a Ko'olau baritone (spruce top, koa back and sides) that is splendid.

These are just my observations. Others may have entirely different experience.

I got to fool around with a kinnard bari last year and it was amazing. If you are up in that range that is something i would look at.

I am not exactly sure why this is so, but as to tone, in my experience there is less of a difference between a larger price range among baritones than any other size of ukulele, provided that they are solid wood of the same species. I mean to say that mahogany exhibits its particular tonal properties as distinguished from spruce, for example, in a baritone quite clearly. I once played a Martin (likely from the 1960s given the interior stamp) side-by-side with a Kala solid mahogany baritone. They both sounded quite good; the Martin was a little better, richer I would say, but not by so much. I can't say the same about similar comparisons among sopranos. My considerations in deciding on a baritone would focus on tone wood and, especially, playability.

If you like the "signature sound" of a particular maker, I believe chances are you will really appreciate it in a baritone. Same with playability concerns like neck profile and such.

I've played a few Wise ukuleles, albeit not a baritone, and was very impressed with them. I also am fortunate to have a Ko'olau baritone (spruce top, koa back and sides) that is splendid.

These are just my observations. Others may have entirely different experience.

These observations are interesting. Thanks!

I have a Style 1 Kinnard baritone with a 19" scale in all Honduran Mahogany. It is the best baritone I have ever played and I ordered it just before the price increase last March.

It plays and sounds like a beautiful classical guitar to me. That may or may not appeal to ukulele traditionalists but I've always loved the guitar sound.

I was going for a modern Favilla with this build but I got an even better modern Kinnard. This baritone is in a class by itself in my opinion.

I came really close to buying an M Style Boat Paddle baritone. At one time they were available in 19" and 20" scale. I don't remember the scale length of the one I was pondering. Over the years I have never gotten to the point of actually laying out the money for a baritone until I recently found a nice 60's Harmony. Right or wrong, it reminds me of a classical guitar I had when I went to college and I am really enjoying it.

If that size sticks, I will once again ponder an M style Boat Paddle... now Hoffman, most likely in a 19" scale.

John

Our first bari's were Kala acacia koa and the latest a Boat Paddle cocobolo rose wood and spruce (20"). The BP is truly a work of art, however my BW still plays the Kala for the most part. For the $ it's probably the biggest bang for the buck, but I wouldn't trade my BP for anything out there.

I've seen a Cordoba MB-20 "B" stock, which is the first cousin to the Ohana BK-20, go for as little as $105. Would benefit from a bone saddle and good strings. My Son, and a few others here, has a Koloa all solid mahogany bari with bone nut and saddle that looks and sounds like it costs hundreds more. Drop dead gorgeous gloss finish, light, and a rich resonant tone found only in better bari's.

Last edited:
Best baritone I've yet played is this Kinnard baritone that HMS recently sold. I have the pleasure of playing it several times. It was truly special. I'm having Kinnard make me a Series 3 baritone (spruce/maple), which will be ready in June/July.

Best baritone I've yet played is this Kinnard baritone that HMS recently sold. I have the pleasure of playing it several times. It was truly special. I'm having Kinnard make me a Series 3 baritone (spruce/maple), which will be ready in June/July.

Damn Eddie that Kinnard just set off a HUGE rippling surge of UAS through out my entire body. Sounded amazing. ......thanks....I think.

Hollis you know the difference a custom builder can make. As another person said follow your likes for sound and feel from the highend ukes manufactures that you already own. That being said I have a spruce and mahogany Pono that I really love for well under a $1000.00

I unashamedly prefer the guitar sound in Ukes and especially for a Bari, I would want exactly that. I would be very happy if I could find a 2nd hand BP M style, a Barron River, Kinnard or a Mya Moe. I think I have more of a chance to find a Mya Moe on the 2nd hand market. I know there is a nice 5 string BP M style in the marketplace and on FMM but I think my first Bari should be a 4 string given the choice.

Also, thanks for all your thoughts on the matter, kept them coming, they really help.

I just recently got into playing baritone. For the traditional ukulele sound I definitely prefer soprano scale but for the baritone I like that it sounds guitar-like. I found a used Mya-Moe and the neck profile makes it a joy to play since I prefer a shallow neck.

A Kinnard series 3? Eddie, you don't do anything by halfs do you? Drool!

Damn Eddie that Kinnard just set off a HUGE rippling surge of UAS through out my entire body. Sounded amazing. ......thanks....I think.

@DownUpDave, I'm here as your enabler whenever you need me. ;-)

@Hollis, well, my playing is probably more quarters than halves, but on owning ukes, it's the fully monty! Here's a sneak peak of the maple set:

Top Bottom