Fretboard Radius

What radius do you like for your ukes and why do you like it? I tend to like a 20" radius.

Hi Ken, I have ukes with 12", 14" and 16" inch radius. Although I can't tell a huge difference in feel between them my two ukes with 16" radius are the easiest to play. So based on that I would pick a 16" because I have never tried a 20".

I have a theory based on my experience that because of the narrow width of a ukes fretboards they are better served with a shallower radius, at least for my hands. The #1 string falls away from the plane too much on a 12" and a lot of times the A string is not played cleanly with barre chords. This is what happens on my two 12" radius ukes. Again this is for me with my hands and my technique...........or lack of it :p

Hi Ken, I have ukes with 12", 14" and 16" inch radius. Although I can't tell a huge difference in feel between them my two ukes with 16" radius are the easiest to play. So based on that I would pick a 16" because I have never tried a 20".

I have a theory based on my experience that because of the narrow width of a ukes fretboards they are better served with a shallower radius, at least for my hands. The #1 string falls away from the plane too much on a 12" and a lot of times the A string is not played cleanly with barre chords. This is what happens on my two 12" radius ukes. Again this is for me with my hands and my technique...........or lack of it :p

Thanks Dave, that makes a lot of sense to me.

My Moodyville tenor is 20" and I love it. Very easy to play. I've only had guitars with the other radius so cannot comment. What DUD makes sense for 12" based on my experience on the guitar side. Having said that my Pono is flat and it's great to plat. I want to try a Pono Pro Classic to try Pono radius just because I really like Pono's.

DUD......do you know what radius Pono uses?

My Moodyville tenor is 20" and I love it. Very easy to play. I've only had guitars with the other radius so cannot comment. What DUD makes sense for 12" based on my experience on the guitar side. Having said that my Pono is flat and it's great to plat. I want to try a Pono Pro Classic to try Pono radius just because I really like Pono's.

DUD......do you know what radius Pono uses?

Pono is a 16" radius as is my LfdM, both my easiest playing instruments. They had a lot of attention paid to them at set up too so that helps tremendously. I keep forgetting I also have a Pono baritone with 16" radius and it is another easy playing uke.

That is very cool your Moodyville has a 20" radius, I really like the work Shelly Park does, she deserves more attention

I like a dead flat radius. Otherwise, my strumming tends to emphasize the C and E strings. Maybe its just what I am used to.

Top Bottom