Do Vintage Martins Have A High Gloss Finish?

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I noticed a vintage Martin for sale that has what looks like an extremely high gloss finish (almost two pack Estapol like). This can't be right can it?

Glossy Martin.jpg

The finish on yours does look a bit thick, especially around the bridge, and may not be factory work.

Martin did make some that were glossier than others, some Ditsons are noted in the orders as having a specially polished finish. Typically the plainer styles (0, 1) have a more dull appearance but I've seen a couple that were somewhat shinier and were correct.

Like anything with vintage instruments, it's about evaluating the entire picture.

It's not my instrument. I just saw this on eBay today. It was the only vintage Martin that I ever saw with a finish that glossy.

I noticed a vintage Martin for sale that has what looks like an extremely high gloss finish (almost two pack Estapol like). This can't be right can it?

View attachment 88591
Its a refinish, look at the rosette, i dont think martins had a gloss that high end, i did see a friend who had
His style o glossed and it looked like that

Last edited:
I suspect that Stan is right about this one. It does appear to have been refinished or at least over-sprayed. The lacquer seems particularly heavy around the bridge. On the other hand, it is really difficult to say for sure with just one picture, or even in with any picture under certain lighting conditions. Some polishes can really gloss up a finish. You would be more likely to detect what was done, if anything, were you to see the ukulele in person. Is this a possibility?

Martin did make some that were glossier than others. Like anything with vintage instruments, it's about evaluating the entire picture.

Martin were searching for the perfect ukulele. They tried everything; dark stain finishes; high gloss finishes; muted finishes; dull finishes. They were not afraid to experiment.

In the end they succeeded in creating some of the finest ukuleles ever made.

The bar frets place that uke as '30s or older. I can't imagine the original finish could have stayed that shiney for 80+ years, so I'd say it has to have been re-finished.

Top Bottom