Looking for a good Concert Uke

NatashaR

Reaction score
I am a guitar player and I am going to buy my first Ukulele, but I need some help. I want to find a good Concert Ukulele from $100-$140. I could go up to $170 but thats it. It also helps if Its purely acoustic ( as i will be putting a passive pick up on it for performances.).

How long is a piece of string......

I like Kala, others like Ohana, best to take a look online at what is in your price range, then go to Youtube to listen to how it sounds.

Going up to $170 will get you a few with a solid top. It will also get you a KPK solid acacia concert....a little heavy, but sounds like it cost hundreds more. Many here know and appreciate it. I'd never get rid of mine. Probably need to run that passive pickup through a pre-amp/eq. Lots of folks here have a $30 Behringer ADI21.

If you don't want to do any setup work, Mim's will sell you this, perfectly set up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Ohana-C...722830?hash=item2a61d124ce:g:uKgAAOSwKtVWx3Mt

Last edited:
I've got a KPK tenor. It was a bit beyond your budget, but if you can get a KPK concert for under $170, it's not a bad idea. Mine is a little on the heavy side, but I'm very happy with how it sounds.

Kala KA-SCG. Hawaii Music Supply has it for $156. I have one and the solid spruce top really gives it some punch. With an HMS custom setup, you can't go wrong. I give my Kala equal playing time to my LoPrinzi.

Last edited:
+1 Ohana/Kala - IMHO both reliable manufacturers with a good selection of decent instruments in your price range.

+1 for a solid top. If you can stretch to $170.00 then it's definitely worth thinking about going with a solid top over an all laminate. One caveat I would add is that you are likely looking at a spruce top at that price, so you would ideally want to listen to the instrument to make sure you are happy with the tone.

In that price range it's worth buying from a place that includes set-ups. With lower cost ukuleles there is generally a chance that the intonation or action are off, or that it has other issues. It doesn't have to be that way, but QA is spotty with less expensive instruments. So if you're in the US, places to look at are TheUkuleleSite, Mim's Ukes, and Uke Republic. There are several more, but those come up a lot. You could give Mim a call and she'll find something that fits your needs. :)

Another vote for a Kala

My KA-C was good value for money, their higher-range models are likely to be even better :)

consider a factory second flea with the concert neck, should come in at the top end of your price range.

Wow, that's cheap. I loved the Islander ukes I played recently. As for the Kala spruce-top, it has a ridiculous amount of punch, but the tone didn't suit me. Then again, I don't perform in public, where I suppose the punch would be more important.

And the Islander has one of my all-time favorite neck profiles - nice wide fingerboard and easy to play.

Now my problem is choosing between the Islander AC-4 and the Kala CEM. Both have a good look, so now all that matters is sound. Does anyone know which would sound better. Im getting them from places that do setups, so that isnt an issue.

Now my problem is choosing between the Islander AC-4 and the Kala CEM. Both have a good look, so now all that matters is sound. Does anyone know which would sound better. Im getting them from places that do setups, so that isnt an issue.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Kala CEM is a laminate and the Islander AC-4 is a solid wood. What this means is that the Kala will be more durable and the Islander will sound better. I'd get the Islander, but that's just me. I'm a sucker for Islanders...

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Kala CEM is a laminate and the Islander AC-4 is a solid wood. What this means is that the Kala will be more durable and the Islander will sound better. I'd get the Islander, but that's just me. I'm a sucker for Islanders...
No, the islander is laminate too. I'm listening to demos, but I cant pick up and any subtle differences, because im sick and stuffed up. So im not sure about the sound.

Totally agree with Mivo. This is good advice. It's well worth it to get the uke from a reputable dealer who does good quality setups.

In that price range it's worth buying from a place that includes set-ups. With lower cost ukuleles there is generally a chance that the intonation or action are off, or that it has other issues. It doesn't have to be that way, but QA is spotty with less expensive instruments. So if you're in the US, places to look at are TheUkuleleSite, Mim's Ukes, and Uke Republic. There are several more, but those come up a lot. You could give Mim a call and she'll find something that fits your needs. :)

The video on this page provides side-by-side camparison of the Islander MC4 and Kala C, as well as a couple of other ukes in the same price range. Either one of your shortlist choices is going to sound fine, so it's really mostly down to personal preference at this point :D

No, the islander is laminate too. I'm listening to demos, but I cant pick up and any subtle differences, because im sick and stuffed up. So im not sure about the sound.

If they're both laminates, just go with the one that looks better, then :)

Top Bottom