Freemont Blacklines vs Worth Browns

deschutestrout

Reaction score
For those who have tried both, is one notably brighter than the other? I'm very familiar with Worth ... never tried the Freemonts. Considering trying them on a concert mahogany. Just curious to hear your comparisons of the two. I know darn well sting opinions are subjective, but wanna hear what you all gots to say :cool:

My only experience with Worth Brown strings was on a tenor spruce-top that I wanted to calm down. I think it did that some, but it might have been the placebo effect of expecting it to do that.

I have had Fremont Blackline strings on laminates and solids, and have kept them on an Islander tenor laminate, a Gretsch concert laminate, and a Pono chambered body (TC-E). I did not keep them on a KoAloha tenor and something else I can't remember.

My only problem with them on the Islander, Gretsch & Pono is that on the concert Gretsch the A string feels really thin, and so I'm going to try something else. But they sound great.

So to (finally) answer your question, I do think they are brighter -- and/or just project better.

I have a mahogany concert and tried Worth BMs and now have Fremont Blacklines on it, all high G. Fremonts are brighter, give more sustain, but the Worth Browns were really nice too. I just think, for me and this uke (Barron River, lightly built, very classic uke sound), the Fremont Blackline Mediums are the string.

My Talsma mahogany concert came with Fremonts and it is my first exposure to them. I do think they are very bright and have a nice sustain. As I just got the uke I do not know how they compare to other strings on the same instrument, but I am very pleased with them and will leave them on it for a while.

My own impression is that Fremont Blackline and Worth Brown are pretty similar. The Worths might sound a little fuller to my ears, whereas the Fremonts sounded and felt a bit floppier at first. Visually, the Fremonts are consistently black, while at least one of the Browns is usually a bit ligher in color than the others.

I have tried Fremont blacklines on a laminate soprano and Worth browns on a solid mahogany tenor. The Fremonts sounded great on the smaller instrument, providing better projection and clarity than the Aquilas that they replaced. These were the 'hard' blacklines - I think that it's worth noting that the Fremonts come in two tensions (or they did last time I looked). I didn't like the Worth browns at all - they sounded really plinky (technical term) to me.

I like both on different instruments. Fremonts might be a little punchier than Browns, I like Blacklines on my laminate Islanders. Browns toned down a really bright cedar top and my banjolele. I'm thinking of putting Browns on my Pono, because it's pretty bright with Martins.

I prefer the Fremonts. Both sound great, but I prefer the Fremonts - on my Mainland Tenor (with a D'addario Low G) they sound really good.

IMHO, Fremonts are thinner, brighter (and I think a bit higher tension). Worth Browns softer, thicker and a more fuller sound with more low end. Those are actually my main two "go to" strings. Each bring a different voice to the uke.

Give them both a try and let us know what you think.

Top Bottom