Does size effect likelihood of your ukulele cracking?

blorb

Reaction score
I have a Mainland Tenor that I recently had to transport through a huge climate change and it's buzzing now. There's no visible damage, but I imagine there's a crack somewhere inside the ukulele now (or maybe the nut is just loose, but I don't have the skills to fix it either way), which sucks.

So I'm planning on buying an Ohana Sopranissimo this spring/summer when it comes out and I was wondering if it being so small is going to make it more or less likely to get damaged by humidity/temperature change. Do I have to be even more careful with it?

Thanks for your input!

Hopefully you can find a fix here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...uzzing-on-String-Instruments-Causes-and-Cures. Make sure your humidity is stable is all I can recommend. Be interesting to see the opinions that pop up.

I would think that a smaller instrument means less room for error and that shrinkage or expansion will cause problems faster. But on a bigger instrument there is more surface area to strain. Who knows?

No, they all crack. Tiny little soprano uke or a Gibson J-200 it doesn't really matter.

Humidity can affect the frets and the neck relief. It's possible you have a high fret somewhere or the uke just needs some competent adjustment and setup.

Or, hopefully a simple string change will solve your buzz ... often does.

Replaced the strings a few days ago hoping it would be that simple, but no luck. If I tune the strings higher it's less noticeable, but that doesn't do me any good. Will check out that thread and look into the other things posted.

Thanks for the support folks!

Last edited:
Well, the larger the instrument, the more wood there is to swell or shrink or 'move' according to
1-Humidity,
2-Quality of wood (slab sawn, 1/4 sawn)

However it has more space to do so...so i think it all evens out- thats my way of saying that large dreadnaught guitars don't crack more then soprano ukes.

interesting question

Top Bottom