PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed By Choices Of Strings Available

WoodGlue
02-23-2016, 08:10 PM
Wow,

How many Aquila Strings for a concert ukulele are available and how do I go about deciphering the coding used in the description? Of course, I don't need any new strings as my Ukes are brand new and I'm satisfied with the strings on them (All Aquila, according to Kala and Oscar Schmidt)

In looking at Amazon using the search term: Aquila Nylgut Concert Ukulele Strings, I am getting quite a few returns.

Aqulia 7U
Aquila AQ-103
Aquila AQ-104
Aquila 8U

Where does a newbie begin to learn about the codes and types of strings available?

Thanks,

WoodGlue

Kanaka916
02-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Here's the link to the 2016 Aquila catalog (http://www.aquilacorde.com/wp-content/uploads/aquila-catalogue-2016.pdf) and it provides a listing available strings . . .

WoodGlue
02-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Thank you!!

Louis0815
02-24-2016, 12:08 AM
Just wait until you start exploring the world of fluorocarbon strings - you will be completely overwhelmed (and lost at first) ;-)

WoodGlue
02-24-2016, 12:52 AM
Oh great! Thanks Louis!

One question. I have my Uke tuned to "my dog has fleas" (GCEA) nothing fancy - out of the box from the manufacturer. I see "Low G" and "High G" mentioned and I'd like to know the difference between the two. I'm guessing that I have "Regular G" so I don't want strings labeled with High G or Low G, correct? I have my Ukulele Book For Dummies book but it isn't made clear.

Thanks!

Croaky Keith
02-24-2016, 02:31 AM
Nearly all ukes of less than barritone size have gCEA tuning, the lower case g indicates high g tuning, if you see GCEA that means it is low G tuning.

........& what all that means is that standard tuning for a uke is gCEA, but some people like to have some extra lower notes, mainly finger pickers, so they swap the high g string for a low g string. :)

hendulele
02-24-2016, 03:39 AM
Nearly all ukes of less than barritone size have gCEA tuning, the lower case g indicates high g tuning, if you see GCEA that means it is low G tuning.

........& what all that means is that standard tuning for a uke is gCEA, but some people like to have some extra lower notes, mainly finger pickers, so they swap the high g string for a low g string. :)

Yes, I was unaware of that when I bought my first uke at the recommendation of a friend who's a mandolin player. It was an 8-string, with one high-g and one low-G string. I didn't know about the whole low-G business (nor did he) and I snapped that string when I first tuned it. It was a 7-string until I was able to find a low-G online. The people at the local big box guitar store had no idea what I was talking about ...

WCBarnes
02-24-2016, 04:12 AM
One question. I have my Uke tuned to "my dog has fleas" (GCEA) nothing fancy - out of the box from the manufacturer. I see "Low G" and "High G" mentioned and I'd like to know the difference between the two. I'm guessing that I have "Regular G" so I don't want strings labeled with High G or Low G, correct? I have my Ukulele Book For Dummies book but it isn't made clear.

Thanks!

"Regular" tuning for a ukulele is generally considered high G. I assume this is how yours is tuned. You can check by playing the 3rd & 4th strings (the ones closest to the ceiling as you hold the uke). If the top (4th) string is higher than the 3rd string it is in high g tuning. If it is lower then you have low g tuning. There is no "right" way to tune a uke. You can use either high low g on any uke. It is all about experimenting and finding what you like! All part of the fun!

Kanaka916
02-24-2016, 05:58 AM
Another good resource for general string info is Southcoast Ukes. (http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm). Check it out!

Mivo
02-24-2016, 06:35 AM
Most of the learning materials and videos online are for re-entrant tuning, with a high-g (gCEA). Low-g is more of a niche thing for people who either prefer linear tuning or want a more guitar-like sound, or because they play pieces that benefit from the five extra notes. Low-g strings are usually thicker than a high-g string, so you may need to file the nut to fit it in, and you run the risk of buzzing if you then go back to a thinner high-g string (may not happen) without modifications. I'd stick to high-g for now and revisit the subject later when you know better what you're doing. Wanting both is usually a good justification for a second ukulele. :)

70sSanO
02-24-2016, 06:36 AM
This might help with high g and low g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtpEU9F0Nic

John

WoodGlue
02-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the demystification of the gCEA and the Low G - the links and comparison video really helped me grasp that concept! I imagine as I become more vested in ukulele, that by just reading here on UU, that I'll get a lot of education!

Thank you again for putting up with all my newbie questions, etc

WoodGlue

TopDog
02-24-2016, 11:24 PM
For what its worth,I have tried Low G on various ukes (I was once
a guitarist!) and it only works FOR ME, on Tenor scale. On Concert
and Soprano,I prefer re-entant tuning (high G) as it gives them the
character that we associate with ukuleles!

mm stan
02-25-2016, 02:39 AM
High G you will have my dog has fleas and it is very distinctive

Rllink
02-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Ain't it the truth? I have to say, I can just imagine myself falling off the cliff, and spend the rest of my ukulele life, searching for the ultimate string. Then on my death bed, wondering if there was one out there that I didn't find. I have to be careful not to do that. Life is too short, to spend it obsessing over strings. :rolleyes:

mm stan
02-25-2016, 10:33 AM
In short there are alot of strings but i have my top 4 that i use..

Down Up Dick
02-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Here's the link to the 2016 Aquila catalog (http://www.aquilacorde.com/wp-content/uploads/aquila-catalogue-2016.pdf) and it provides a listing available strings . . .

Hey, Kanaka916, thanks a lot for your post. I use Aquila strings, but I don't like the red ones. I've been trying to figger out how to avoid using them. I really appreciate your post. :old:

Inksplosive AL
02-25-2016, 06:56 PM
On a another note I'm loving reds on most everything I own.

Down Up Dick
02-26-2016, 02:51 AM
On a another note I'm loving reds on most everything I own.

Well, different strokes for different folks. :cheers: :old: