Echoes of Aloha (Mele) Strings

robinboyd

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about Echoes of Aloha (Mele Ukulele) strings. I recently purchased a ukulele from Mele and it came with these strings. The FAQ on their website says the strings are made for Mele to the same specifications as Hilo strings used to be before they went out of business. http://meleukulele.com/faqs/

Until now I have always used Aquila strings, and to be honest I'm not sure how I feel about the Mele strings. They are certainly different, but I'm not sure whether I like them or not. What do you guys think about them?

Always a great idea to upgrade from stock strings if you feel you need to fine tune the tone to personal preference or improve tone.

Play with them for a bit just to stretch them out a bit. You may or may not at that point like the sound and feel of them, then swap 'em out. There are numerous strings to choose from and everyone has their favs. What may sound good to one person may not sound good to you. If you like Aquila's, use them, if not try another set like Worths, Oasis, Martins, Southcoast, etc.

Play with them for a bit just to stretch them out a bit. You may or may not at that point like the sound and feel of them, then swap 'em out. There are numerous strings to choose from and everyone has their favs. What may sound good to one person may not sound good to you. If you like Aquila's, use them, if not try another set like Worths, Oasis, Martins, Southcoast, etc.

Yeah, I'm planning to switch them at some point to see what other strings are like on that uke. I honestly don't know whether I like them or not, though. It's still at the stage where they feel strange, but I'm not sure whether that's strange in a good way or not...

I probably should have mentioned that I decided that I don't like them. I've tried Oasis Warms and Aquila Reds on that uke now and both are better in their own way.

I probably should have mentioned that I decided that I don't like them. I've tried Oasis Warms and Aquila Reds on that uke now and both are better in their own way.
with the benefit of hindsight, can you expand on what was different in the Echoes strings, Robin? They are rectified nylon as per GHS etc and seem to have a following with certain long term players. I'm just trying to find out why.

with the benefit of hindsight, can you expand on what was different in the Echoes strings, Robin? They are rectified nylon as per GHS etc and seem to have a following with certain long term players. I'm just trying to find out why.
They felt kind of plasticky, I didn't like the feel of the thin gauge, and they didn't produce the sort of sparkly overtones that you get with fluorocarbons or the volume that you get with nylgut. I'm sure there are people who like them - the just aren't my cup of tea. As for other rectified nylon brands, I haven't tried them, so I can't say, but I imagine they would be similar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom