Switch from Nylgut to Flourocarbon

BarryB

Reaction score
I have an Ohana CK20S and am considering switching strings. Bought it from Mim so I assume it was properly set-up for the Aquila Nylguts which I believe are standard on the Ohana's.

My question is how concerned should I be switching from the Nylguts to fluorocarbons, which if I understand correctly are thinner then the Aquilas? Is the set-up an issue?

If anyone has specific string recommendations for the CK20S that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Switch away, it should be just fine. The difference in thickness will not likely create any problems...

what bill said - the slight difference in thickness shouldn't be an issue. Martin fluoros are readily available, a bit cheaper than other brands, and should pair up nicely with your uke's solid mahogany top.

I just put D'Addario fluorocarbons on a cedar/rw Mainland concert after playing with the original Nylguts for almost 3 months. I couldn't wait for them to wear out because I knew how happy I was with Martins fluoros on my laminate concert for the last year or so. I used to prefer tenors, but the sound and feel of the thinner strings make me want to play mainly the concert size.

No slot problems with either change.

The D'Addarios (Pro-Arte Carbon, EJ99SC) are slightly thicker than the Martins (M600). I like both and couldn't choose between them so far. The Martins are easier to find around here. Both are for soprano and concert. The same specs are given by D'Addario for the tenor strings, as well.

Change & enjoy. I would love to hear how you like the new ones after a couple of days of playing.

~ Dick

Aquila's are frequently "not" the strings for solid or solid topped mahogany ukes. Great on my Vintage Martin O, quicky took them off some of my other mahogany ukes.

I swapped out the nylgut strings for fluorocarbon on ukes that came fitted with nylgut, no problem. The difference in thickness was not an issue. I use either Worth Clear or Living Water strings. I find them pretty similar but will normally go for Living Water because Ken Middleton is UK based unless there are particular reasons for choosing Worth.

Last edited:
I put Martin fluorocarbons on my Chinese two hole and really liked the difference, the slightly thinner ones made it a little easier to play. My Kala solid cedar sounds pretty damn good with the original Aquilas, but my solid acacia koa mandolele doesn't have the brightness I like with the stock Aquilas, so I'm thinking of changing to a set of Martin fluorocarbons I have.

For me personally martins are okay for strumming but not great for picking. Having played with both worth browns and clears I find I prefer the feel of the oasis strings in general.

Top Bottom