PDA

View Full Version : UAS: Is there a cure?

Snargle
02-26-2016, 03:38 AM
Or...do I want to be cured? :confused:

I bought my first ukulele in December 2015; an Oscar Schmidt OU2 laminate concert. My second was in January 2016; a Kala KA-SRT/MA solid spruce/rosewood tenor.

Just this morning a placed an order with Mainland Ukuleles for a Mainland Solid Mahogany Long Neck Concert Pineapple Ukulele. Although this particular model has been out of stock for a while, I got an excellent deal on a "scratch & dent" one that has a small finish flaw on the headstock.

That's three. I wonder if I'll be able to stop there? :D

Mivo
02-26-2016, 03:43 AM
I think there is a point of saturation and sobering up, but you're not in the K brands and custom stage of your UAS yet, so, no, you'll keep doing this for a while yet. :)

ScooterD35
02-26-2016, 03:53 AM
In my case, it's relative poverty that keeps UAS in check. No more money means no more Ukes. It's that simple.

Fortunately for me, The Ukes I already own pretty much cover all the bases and I can't even remotely find a rational justification for any more.

If I were to win the lottery though, the new house would definitely have a large music room and my new hobby would be filling it. :)

Until then, I'm quite content with what I've got!

Scooter

MickeyD
02-26-2016, 04:04 AM
Getting a really nice uke that plays like a dream helps...as does playing a lot of ukes. Now that I've tried out a broad spectrum of ukes, I know what I like. But..that doesn't stop me from looking at the Marketplace, ebay, and the good online shops just about daily when it's slow at work.

SoloRule
02-26-2016, 04:04 AM
I purchased my first brand new uke in Jan 2015. It was a high end K brand. I mistakenly thought buying high-end as a starter would prevent me from buying more. Also, our Canadian dollars is so low, I figured this should protect me from the UAS virus.
Our dollars keeps falling ever since and I just keep telling myself let's not calculate the exchange rate.
Trust me, this is a very serious virus and it can only get worse but you will have a lot of 'friends' welcoming you at the UAS outpatient waiting room.
No there is no cured. It just gets worse.....

Mim
02-26-2016, 04:05 AM
For my sake... I hope it is a disease never to be cured ;)

In all seriousness though, I have had a few ukes come and go, until I found what I really want... but there is always... one more!
It is hard to not always have one more! Something else with a certain feel, look, sound that you want! My last acquisition was a sopranisimo from Ohana... itty bitty little thing.
It fits in my bag and goes places with me.

I sort of "earn" my ukes! Some people reward themselves with certain things at different milestones.
Often for me, it is a uke!

SoloRule
02-26-2016, 04:08 AM
The better Uke you buy, the better and faster you will improve because you would want to keep playing !
That's how I justify my UAS

hollisdwyer
02-26-2016, 05:13 AM
Well you could go to a psychiatrist but that will cost you more than the UAS so you might as well enjoy the UAS.

Croaky Keith
02-26-2016, 05:41 AM
My first uke(s) were bought in November last year, I'll explain that multiple first purchase, I don't have transport & I don't have a music store nearby, so I needed to find out what size was going to suit me as cheaply as possible. So first was a tenor - too big (for me). Next was a soprano - a little bit too small. So a concert arrived next - this is my size.

So then it was just a case of getting slightly better quality uke(s) to play - that is also known as UAS. :)

I now have all the ukes I need & want, so my UAS is over, (I'm sure it is......) ;)

Croaky Keith
02-26-2016, 05:43 AM
For my sake... I hope it is a disease never to be cured ;)

I think you're safe...........:rotfl:

bearbike137
02-26-2016, 05:53 AM
Yep. The cure is called "spouse."

spookelele
02-26-2016, 06:01 AM
maybe arthritis?

Snargle
02-26-2016, 06:53 AM

So far, she's been OK with my purchases, but I suspect once I start looking at some of the "premium" instruments, it might get a little dicy. :stop:

Mivo
02-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Then you just tell her that the premium instruments can be resold or traded, so it makes good economic sense to buy them on your discovery journey. ;)

(I actually feel it is true, and if I lived in the US, I would probably embark on that trip, too.)

Rllink
02-26-2016, 07:19 AM
I think that some people like to surround themselves with ukuleles, but in our case, neither of us care to have our house decorated contemporary ukulele. So there isn't that aspect of it driving me.

cml
02-26-2016, 07:24 AM
I think the other thread with "how many ukes are too many" was a great one, and it got me thinking quite a bit. Not just about ukes either, but minimalism in general.

I've just started my ukulele journey and like so many of you I find myself suffering from UAS. So far I've limited myself to look at other ukes, research about them, look up luthiers etc etc, but I've been close to buying more ukes many times. That thread actually put a stop to at least the buying part. I am very happy with my current concert, and as I wrote I will likely not buy so many more ukes. One plastic, because I dont want to bring my nice uke outside (and we go hiking etc), and one more that's gonna be in low-g. But I am going to wait with that one, and let the research go towards that - and be content with just reading/looking for a while.

As a bonus, Im gonna go through alot of stuff in our house and get rid of things we dont need. We have far too much things in the western countries, hopefully some of my stuff can help someone else.

Snargle
02-26-2016, 07:35 AM
As a bonus, Im gonna go through alot of stuff in our house and get rid of things we dont need. We have far too much things in the western countries, hopefully some of my stuff can help someone else.I'm in full agreement on that. Particularly now that I'm retired, and my wife will soon be, I'm realizing that a lot of the things we've accumulated over the years are simply not used or not appreciated. One of my other hobbies is collecting fountain pens, and I think it's time to start thinning out the collection and disposing of all but the best. And, of course, the proceeds can be used to fund ukulele purchases! (At least I'm using my ukes, which is more than I can say for the bulk of my pen collection.)

rappsy
02-26-2016, 07:39 AM

I don't want to be cured. Why be normal? I'm having too much fun and wouldn't have made this place a home away from home without all the interaction.

Mivo
02-26-2016, 07:45 AM
That thread actually put a stop to at least the buying part. I am very happy with my current concert, and as I wrote I will likely not buy so many more ukes. One plastic, because I dont want to bring my nice uke outside (and we go hiking etc), and one more that's gonna be in low-g. But I am going to wait with that one, and let the research go towards that - and be content with just reading/looking for a while.

I think if I could go back in time, with the knowledge I have now, I would also keep my first ukulele for at least a year before looking into "upgrading" it. Especially when starting out, there are so many other factors that influence the sound and the experience (lack of ability being one of them), and plenty of cheaper approaches to try out (different strings, tunings, getting a proper set-up if needed) that can yield improvement and that don't lead to having too many instruments.

On the other hand, though, going the other way (not to extreme degrees) is also something that I felt benefited me, just differently. I have no regrets and I do enjoy my instruments. It allowed me to refine my preferences more, and it gave me a better idea of what it is that I want from a ukulele -- in terms of sound, construction, playability. I wouldn't have been able to learn that if I hadn't experienced different instruments. Higher-end instruments are a different league, which is both a positive experience and a bit of a curse, like moving from a small place to a large house, or from dial-up to highspeed internet: It's hard to be satisfied with "less" again, because you now know what bigger/better/larger/faster is like even if you weren't missing anything before.

Then again, I believe unless you're into bling, it's possible to get a high-end instrument (sound, playability) at a mid-range price, provided it doesn't have to be koa. Koa makes it more costly. But for other woods, I speculate that you can get a very good quality instrument for around $500. After that (koa aside), the returns start to diminish more noticeably. They diminish before also, but I'm not sure where exactly the sweetest spot is -- it probably depends on the person and what someone wants.

Anyway, for me the biggest UAS contributor was my indecisiveness about the "best" size for me. It's still a factor now, though I'm more aware of it being a bit of a self-deceiving mechanism on my part to justify buying more stuff. If I did it again, I'd get a good concert, and then practice -- no shopping until much later. :) But I only know that because of the UAS.

kohanmike
02-26-2016, 09:12 AM
I love having UAS. In the first year of playing uke I went through 16. Now I've settled on 4, but I always look at more possibilities. Also, now that I've been playing bass ukes, I'm up to 8 with my eyes on maybe one more, just for fun.

shermdog
02-26-2016, 10:21 AM

Or kids--nothing sucks up discretionary spending money quite like children (I love my kids)!

seattle
02-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I came to ukulele's after already having too many other musical instruments (guitars, mandolins,etc) so I don't feel the need to own so many (and I have a small house).

There is still that desire to sell one for one that is a little better but I've resisted that. I have two ukuleles, a laminate soprano and a solid wood acacia tenor in low g.

I thought I had enough instruments until a friend gave me a charango from a recent trip to Ecuador and now I've just ordered (hasn't arrived yet) a better charango (which is almost a variety of ukulele).

I need to sell or otherwise get rid of some instruments before buying anything else however. I like to keep the instruments down to what I'll actually play. I'm not a collector.

WCBarnes
02-26-2016, 01:47 PM
So far, she's been OK with my purchases, but I suspect once I start looking at some of the "premium" instruments, it might get a little dicy. :stop:

My spouse doesn't ask about the price of my ukes, she focuses on the number. Sooo... I just need to get a Moore Bettah and I should be set! :D

Buying a couple nice customs has put my UAS into remission. Additionally, they have pushed me to go through my collection with the intent to sell the ones I no longer play (which is most of them). I just don't like to think of them sitting there not getting played.

Of course, now that the new Outdoor soprano is available I may "need" a uke to leave in my car... And the Ohana Taropatch coming out later this year... And the Ohana Sopranissimo to keep in my work bag... I guess it never really does end! But every step along the way has been a blast!

Cassie
02-26-2016, 02:58 PM

I bought my first ukulele in December 2015; an Oscar Schmidt OU2 laminate concert. My second was in January 2016; a Kala KA-SRT/MA solid spruce/rosewood tenor.

Just this morning a placed an order with Mainland Ukuleles for a Mainland Solid Mahogany Long Neck Concert Pineapple Ukulele. Although this particular model has been out of stock for a while, I got an excellent deal on a "scratch & dent" one that has a small finish flaw on the headstock.

I had it really bad until I got my little Kala as an early Christmas gift. This one I have is actually my first one and the bug hasn't got me again yet. I think I'm cured.

Snargle
02-26-2016, 04:33 PM
I had it really bad until I got my little Kala as an early Christmas gift. This one I have is actually my first one and the bug hasn't got me again yet. I think I'm cured.

Probably only in remission, Cassie!

Ukulele Eddie
02-26-2016, 04:54 PM
I think it depends on why one buys. If you're looking for something in particular, it may very well be cured when you find it. However, I suspect many people think they're looking for something special but in reality just like experiencing different instruments. I love experiencing different instruments and have to come to realize that for me the buying, experiencing and selling is a hobby in and of itself. I recognize that if I spent all the time practicing, I might be a better player, but that doesn't matter so much to me. I don't think I'd ever own more than about 10 instruments without feeling guilty for not using them all regularly. As my stable of "can't sell that one" grows, I will likely slow down on the buying and selling. I can imagine having a set of 6-8 lifelong instruments and then having 1-2 rotating spots.

janeray1940
02-26-2016, 05:07 PM
I think it's a bit like getting over a cold or a flu - you're cured, FOR NOW!, but you can always catch a different strain at some point in the future. While I'm definitely not a collector and I'm extremely satisfied with the three ukes I have, I know full well that the day will come when my needs change or I am otherwise tempted by The Next Big Thing.

igorthebarbarian
02-26-2016, 05:29 PM
I've got a fever.... and the only cure is more cowbell! .... or ukes.

coolkayaker1
02-26-2016, 10:27 PM
The only sure cure for UAS: smashing hand with ball-peen hammer.

And even then it's only temporary.

DownUpDave
02-27-2016, 12:34 AM
I can stop whenever I want to...............I just don't want to.

Around round of ukuleles for the house uketender :cheers:

stevepetergal
02-27-2016, 01:46 AM
The cure is practicing with your "ukulele time" rather than shopping.

Booli
02-27-2016, 02:31 AM
In my case, it's relative poverty that keeps UAS in check. No more money means no more Ukes. It's that simple.
This pretty much sums it up for why my UAS has been on hold.

If I were to win the lottery though, the new house would definitely have a large music room and my new hobby would be filling it.
HA HA - you and me both brother, but I'll do you one better - I'd go out and get a huge number of ukes in all sizes and give them out to random folks who wanted one, I mean you gotta share and infect as many folks as possible with SOME form of UAS, which is a lot better than spreading the flu around...no?

I don't want to be cured. Why be normal? I'm having too much fun and wouldn't have made this place a home away from home without all the interaction.
Me neither (dont want to be cured). I gave up on trying to be 'normal' years ago once I realized it was a frustrating exercise in futility.

The cure is practicing with your "ukulele time" rather than shopping.
No shopping required, but once you start to educate yourself about what is OUT THERE and how many wonderful choices we have, the mind wanders...

and REMEMBER: We are ALL enablers.

This very thread has at least inspired SOMEONE to start looking for their next uke, and I bet that they do NOT feel guilty about it at all...:) :music:

fabioponta
02-27-2016, 03:23 AM
Don't have cure. I have 6 years with UAS. More than 50 ukes that I bought and resold. Still here...

wickedwahine11
02-27-2016, 03:41 AM
I really, really thought I had been cured. But I spent the past week longing for a KoAloha Black Label that I saw on consingment. I wasn't really planning on getting another ukulele, but since I am writing a book about KoAloha, I am spending every waking moment researching them. And this Black Label beauty was so irresistable.

I spent a week going back and forth, calculating how I would have to use part of the tax refund, figuring out what credit card to put it on - I always pay off my bill in full every month but this would have made me pay interest for the first time in fifteen years. I buttered up my spouse - who was so not having it! Finally, I figured better to ask for forgiveness than permission (not always a good idea when you are married to a police lieutenant!) and went to buy it yesterday afternoon...only to find the seller had cold feet and withdrew it from sale yesterday morning.

I am still sick I missed it, even dreamed about it last night. I don't have any desire for any other ukulele in the world, but I did have specific-UAS for that one. I am very happy with my two other ukes, and am not looking for another, though I would have absolutely grabbed that one. I was tempted, and would have succumbed to UAS in that instance if the seller hadn't changed his mind.

Dan Uke
02-27-2016, 05:43 AM
Staci, where did you see it? Better not tell me cuz I want it!! lol

NewKid
02-27-2016, 06:52 AM
I'm currently in remission. Finally got to play a Kamaka Ohta-San in a music store after three years of dreaming about one. It was nice but I resisted.

hawaii 50
02-27-2016, 06:59 AM
I really, really thought I had been cured. But I spent the past week longing for a KoAloha Black Label that I saw on consingment. I wasn't really planning on getting another ukulele, but since I am writing a book about KoAloha, I am spending every waking moment researching them. And this Black Label beauty was so irresistable.

I spent a week going back and forth, calculating how I would have to use part of the tax refund, figuring out what credit card to put it on - I always pay off my bill in full every month but this would have made me pay interest for the first time in fifteen years. I buttered up my spouse - who was so not having it! Finally, I figured better to ask for forgiveness than permission (not always a good idea when you are married to a police lieutenant!) and went to buy it yesterday afternoon...only to find the seller had cold feet and withdrew it from sale yesterday morning.

I am still sick I missed it, even dreamed about it last night. I don't have any desire for any other ukulele in the world, but I did have specific-UAS for that one. I am very happy with my two other ukes, and am not looking for another, though I would have absolutely grabbed that one. I was tempted, and would have succumbed to UAS in that instance if the seller hadn't changed his mind.

Hi Staci....I have a Ko'Aloha tenor that I will give to you the next time I see you..it is a special one too....:)

Woody Ukepicker
02-27-2016, 07:13 AM
I totally agree with MIVO:
You will have to learn first what is convenient to you, what size, etc...
Once you will get a couple of decent instruments convenient to you, you will be able to focuse on music only.

Nickie
02-27-2016, 08:44 AM
For me, there's nothing like unboxing and playing a new uke. I don't "go shopping".
what enables me is LISTENING and PLAYING...
other than lack of funds, what stops UAS for me is being happy with the uke I am playing.
Both my ukes cost under $300. One has incurable buzzing, and no pickup, and the other needs a lo G, so I want another uke to leave hi g. The Cocobolo that's coming ought to cure me for a long time, unless I decide I need a tenor, too.
I'm happy to say I've almost outgrown bling. I cringe when I see a friend buy a cheap pimpy uke.

wickedwahine11
02-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Staci, where did you see it? Better not tell me cuz I want it!! lol

Hahaha, never gonna tell Daniel! I have the store owner trying to convince the guy to change his mind. The shop owner wants his cut, and so he is trying to persuade the guy. ;) That being said I get regret. I regret selling my special issue crown bridge tenor. So I can't blame him for not wanting to let it go.

Hi Staci....I have a Ko'Aloha tenor that I will give to you the next time I see you..it is a special one too....:)

I know you do Len! Finding a place for her on my wall this weekend. ;) I just couldn't resist jumping at a Black Label when it was available. And should have when it was since now it isn't! Though I would have had a lot of financial dancin' to do to afford it, it would have been worth it.

janeray1940
02-27-2016, 11:02 AM
I really, really thought I had been cured.

Staci, thanks for offering yourself up as proof that owning one MB, or even two MBs, is *not* the cure :)

Like I said, UAS isn't all that different than the common cold. You can go years without catching it, and then - BAM.

Sylvan
02-27-2016, 11:19 AM
I think I'm cured - either that or it's in remission. I have one nice uke each of soprano, concert and tenor sizes. The tenor has become my favorite but sometimes I'm just in a soprano mood. My concert is my reentrant, tenor is low g so I feel I have all the bases covered. I can't imaging any uke sounding better than my tenor and I plan on keeping myself ignorant enough to keep UAS cured. Someday I may get the baritone flu that only has one cure but not anytime soon.

wickedwahine11
02-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Staci, thanks for offering yourself up as proof that owning one MB, or even two MBs, is *not* the cure :)

Like I said, UAS isn't all that different than the common cold. You can go years without catching it, and then - BAM.

Yeah, I like to think that I am extremely happily devoted to my MBs, with no desire for any other uke in the world...except that one. Is it possible to have single specific UAS? I suppose it is like being happily married and then having George Clooney or Charlize Theron (depending on whether you like guys or gals) hit on you. You might not do anything, but you could be tempted. Luckily for my bank account I didn't get it. Though not gonna lie, been bummed about my bad timing all day.

DownUpDave
02-28-2016, 02:43 AM
Staci I really enjoyed your story because it seemed to illustrate how insidious UAS can really be. I have been on a radius fretboard kick for the last 18 months and scour all avenues looking for ukes with radius fretboards.

I had a deal lined up on a Mya Moe when I contacted a luthier by the name of David Webber about his ukes. I had seen a baritone of his with a radius fretboard so I asked if his tenors came with a radius fretboard and his reply was "no they don't". So I contacted the seller for the Mya Moe and make the purchase. Later that same day David Webber sends me a picture of a tenor he was building : spruce top, cocobolo back and sides, curly koa binding and tail graft, mahogany neck, all the specs I really like. He said at this stage in the build it would be simple to make a radius fretboard for it.

I said...............OK. Hung up the phone and thought.........what the hell just happened. UAS can render one powerless and senseless.

bnolsen
02-28-2016, 02:58 AM
the cure to uas is the next ukulele...

Mivo
02-28-2016, 04:55 AM
I can't imaging any uke sounding better than my tenor and I plan on keeping myself ignorant enough to keep UAS cured.

This is a good point. My UAS seems to flare up almost only when I watch demos, browse the Market Place, take a stroll through product information, or view too many videos of players who are in entirely and wholly different leagues of skill. The forum here in general is a dangerous place, UAS-wise. :)

What I learned from Corey's excellent videos is that if the instruments I already have don't sound at least pretty darn good, if not stellar, there is a very solid chance that the reason for that is my present lack of skill and ability, and not a shortcoming of my ukuleles. In moments of such annoying and completely un-fun clarity, I then also realize that improving my skill should come before buying more instruments (provided one already has one or more quality instruments: I really do believe that a good ukulele makes learning easier).

Snargle
02-28-2016, 04:59 AM
This is a good point. My UAS seems to flare up almost only when I watch demos, browse the Market Place, take a stroll through product information, or view too many videos of players who are in entirely and wholly different leagues of skill. The forum here in general is a dangerous place, UAS-wise. :)

What I learned from Corey's excellent videos is that if the instruments I already have don't sound at least pretty darn good, if not stellar, there is a very solid chance that the reason for that is my present lack of skill and ability, and not a shortcoming of my ukuleles. In moments of such annoying and completely un-fun clarity, I then also realize that improving my skill should come before buying more instruments (provided one already has one or more quality instruments: I really do believe that a good ukulele makes learning easier).Watching Corey in the HMS videos leads me to believe that he could take a 2'x4'. put four strings on it, and knock out a virtuoso performance. I haven't heard a bad one yet.

Dan Uke
02-28-2016, 05:32 AM
what's worse is if you have UAS and interest in other stuff. Hopefully your other hobbies are cheap!

sukie
02-28-2016, 05:32 AM

I am still sick I missed it, even dreamed about it last night. I don't have any desire for any other ukulele in the world, but I did have specific-UAS for that one. I am very happy with my two other ukes, and am not looking for another, though I would have absolutely grabbed that one. I was tempted, and would have succumbed to UAS in that instance if the seller hadn't changed his mind.Monogamy, Staci. Remember?

sukie
02-28-2016, 05:34 AM

But I am proof it is!

wickedwahine11
02-28-2016, 07:28 AM
Monogamy, Staci. Remember?

I know! I actually felt guilty when I saw my MBs last night. But I cannot lie, oh how I wanted that Black Label. Seems to be a one-off thing for me though, as I don't have any desire for any other ukes. To paraphrase an immortal disco classic, "If I can't have (that uke) I don't want no other."

But I am proof it is!

Yup, Sukie is a one-uke woman. :)

janeray1940
02-28-2016, 08:29 AM
Is it possible to have single specific UAS? I suppose it is like being happily married and then having George Clooney or Charlize Theron (depending on whether you like guys or gals) hit on you. You might not do anything, but you could be tempted.

Yes, very definitely possible. In my case I have two "George Clooneys": the 100th anniversary longneck Kamaka pineapple, and the National Resonator Style 2 wild rose model. If either comes my way, I'd probably be more than tempted!

janeray1940
02-28-2016, 08:31 AM
But I am proof it is!

Ah, but you never know what the future holds... :)

Mivo
02-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Yes, very definitely possible. In my case I have two "George Clooneys": the 100th anniversary longneck Kamaka pineapple, and the National Resonator Style 2 wild rose model. If either comes my way, I'd probably be more than tempted!

It's interesting that you mention resonators. Ever since a European music store had National resonators for a brief while, and I saw them in the catalogue, I have been wondering about them. This also contributed a little to my born again interest in the concert size (as " my" size). In videos, they usually either make me feel intrigued by their sound, or their sound turns me off. It's bizarre, very contrasting.

janeray1940
02-28-2016, 10:29 AM
It's interesting that you mention resonators. Ever since a European music store had National resonators for a brief while, and I saw them in the catalogue, I have been wondering about them. This also contributed a little to my born again interest in the concert size (as " my" size). In videos, they usually either make me feel intrigued by their sound, or their sound turns me off. It's bizarre, very contrasting.

They're concert necks on soprano bodies - in other words, longneck sopranos, my fave. The only reso's I've encountered that I like the sound of for single-note and fingerstyle playing are the Nationals - none of the other makers I've heard have had the clarity that they have (and frankly, I think the more budget-priced resonators all sound awful regardless of how they are played - a real turnoff!). I've had a few opportunities to buy the plain-jane Style 0 but have passed each time even though I really like them - I'm holding out for the fancy one! I got to test-drive a Style 2 at NAMM a few years back and fell hard for it.

I don't think I'd want to have one as my only uke, but for some situations - playing with other louder instruments that generally drown out ukes, for instance - I think it would be fun to have.

JackLuis
02-28-2016, 10:43 AM
UAS can be limited by funds, but SAS is even more insidious!

Mivo
02-28-2016, 11:00 AM
They're concert necks on soprano bodies - in other words, longneck sopranos, my fave. The only reso's I've encountered that I like the sound of for single-note and fingerstyle playing are the Nationals - none of the other makers I've heard have had the clarity that they have (and frankly, I think the more budget-priced resonators all sound awful regardless of how they are played - a real turnoff!).

By "concert", I usually just refer to the concert scale, which feels really good to me, almost perfect. I get reach, but I also have some room, and the string tension is kind of "al dente", just right for me. I enjoy my LN soprano, though sometimes I'd like a little more sustain and depth, so my plan is to get an Opio Concert next week before the sapele versions are gone and test this preference some more. Not UAS, really, not at all, just ... for science? ;) (I figure that the new acacia Opios will sound too much like the koa pineapple, and I'm ever so curious if I can get the KoAloha sound in a bit more mellow variant.) Your likes and dislikes usually match mine pretty closely, so when you mention something that you enjoy, it tends to get my interest, too!

There is a builder in the UK who makes soprano and concert resonators whose site I bookmarked a while ago, Stuart Wailing (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wailingresonators/uke.html). The prices are fairly affordable, too. Not many videos, though. Here is one of his tenor resonators:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWe3QMg7RB0

Maybe too much metal. I could see myself spending an awful lot of time polishing the thing! I wonder if those tarnish over the years and get dull?

janeray1940
02-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Your likes and dislikes usually match mine pretty closely, so when you mention something that you enjoy, it tends to get my interest, too!

Sigh... I'm such an enabler :)

Maybe too much metal. I could see myself spending an awful lot of time polishing the thing! I wonder if those tarnish over the years and get dull?

The one you linked to had a pretty sweet tone - not too brash like most resonators and the notes sounded pretty clear. I'm not sure about the tarnish issue; my friend has had a Style 0 for years and it's still bright and shiny - he polished it recently for a photo shoot but I didn't notice much difference. If I had one I'm not sure I'd mind if it tarnished - I'd consider it play wear.

Teek
02-28-2016, 08:09 PM
The cure is finding a really nice short scale acoustic guitar. :cool:

Mivo
02-29-2016, 04:17 AM
The cure is finding a really nice short scale acoustic guitar. :cool:

I sometimes think that is the inevitable direction that some tenor and baritone lovers will take!

cml
02-29-2016, 05:31 AM
I sometimes think that is the inevitable direction that some tenor and baritone lovers will take!
Probably. I am not in the slightest interested in going towards a guitar. For me the uke is a perfect fit, it's small and portable and fun to play. The concert size feels great to play. I tried the guitar some 15years ago, and quit very fast. Not my thing.

cpmusic
02-29-2016, 05:48 AM
I think there is a point of saturation and sobering up, but you're not in the K brands and custom stage of your UAS yet, so, no, you'll keep doing this for a while yet. :)

This is exactly what I was thinking. I actually ran out of GAS -- I even sold a nice guitar without replacing it -- but that was after about 30 years of doing that deal. Either that, or GAS morphed into UAS. I suspect the latter is the case.

I still have and play my remaining guitars (a very small collection) but the ukulele has most of my attention these days.

janeray1940
02-29-2016, 05:57 AM
I am not in the slightest interested in going towards a guitar.

That makes two of us. I have one, a small vintage parlor guitar, and it comes down off the wall hanger maybe once every three years. I'm not one to buy into the "playing ukulele is easy!" propaganda but I do know full well that to play the kind of pieces (classical, fingerstyle) I do on uke, on guitar, would be a heck of a lot harder. Knowing me, I'd quit really fast.

Rllink
02-29-2016, 06:14 AM
I sometimes think that is the inevitable direction that some tenor and baritone lovers will take!Sometimes I read posts and think that people are trying to make their ukuleles more like little four string guitars. I see some guitar envy out there.

sukie
02-29-2016, 06:43 AM
That makes two of us. I have one, a small vintage parlor guitar, and it comes down off the wall hanger maybe once every three years. I'm not one to buy into the "playing ukulele is easy!" propaganda but I do know full well that to play the kind of pieces (classical, fingerstyle) I do on uke, on guitar, would be a heck of a lot harder. Knowing me, I'd quit really fast.

Nope. 3. I have absolutely no interest in guitars.

wickedwahine11
02-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Nope. 3. I have absolutely no interest in guitars.

4. I play tenor, low g at that, and have no interest whatsoever in guitar. :)

Teek
02-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Re: the nice short scale guitar, think of it as a long scale baritone with two extra bass strings to add in a nice alternating bass line whenever you want, and also when you can only find guitar tabs for something you want to play, well, no problem.. they even have flourocarbon strings available now, I like the Oasis GPX with carbon trebles set.

Croaky Keith
02-29-2016, 08:19 AM
No guitar for me! :deadhorse:

Tried that in my younger days, sore fingers was all I got out of trying to play one............. & there are too many strings! :p

(After all, I've only got 4 fingers on each hand! :D )

Ukes are great for just sitting down & relaxing (?!) with, (depending on how your practicing is going :) ).

Nickie
02-29-2016, 08:25 AM
No guitar envy here. I toted two of Tammy's guitars to her car yesterday, and my arms are longer now.
They're pretty, make nice music, but I wouldn't have one. No Thanks.

Fleacia
02-29-2016, 09:29 AM

LOL I had one of those, and one uke. Now I have 2 ukes and one guitar in playing condition, and some other instruments in, uh, purgatory? They're working on the next round of music-making. :)

No cure. But it evolves.

Ukecaster
04-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Take 2 ukes and call me in the morning.

Debussychopin
04-05-2017, 08:49 PM
There really is a cure. It is difficult at first, but just grab one of your ukes and just start practicing hard. Don't look at ukes for a week keep all websites under lock and key so to speak. Once you start making headway in practice and gain some skill , you'll find that more interesting and focus-worthy than material goods.

Or get into something else like hats.
Dam

dinghy
04-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Help Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Help Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
just started learning on a Fluke ive owned for about 5 years
a week ago bought a Oscar OU2P

please don't tell my wife
just ordered a Mele Koa pineapple for too too much money

i can hardly play twinkle twinkle little star

no more dam it
need to save money to replace my 26 year old 240 Volvo

dit dit
mac

Mivo
04-06-2017, 01:26 AM
I just read over my responses in this thread from 14 months ago, and I still fundamentally have the same views. :p

There really is a cure. It is difficult at first, but just grab one of your ukes and just start practicing hard. Don't look at ukes for a week keep all websites under lock and key so to speak. Once you start making headway in practice and gain some skill , you'll find that more interesting and focus-worthy than material goods.

I think this is really good advice. Most of my uke purchases were directly or indirectly influenced by this forum here, YouTube videos, or by window shopping. Many were also related to frustration or dissatisfaction with my lack of progress, suspecting the instrument or the size of being at fault rather than a wrong approach to learning or, more likely, my impatience and expectations.

What I also realized is that I have not often given a new instrument enough time before looking for something else. At least not focused attention as opposed to bouncing around between different instruments. It's still my belief that I'd be a better player if I had had only one uke and one book at the beginning and then stuck with it, but maybe that is a flawed view because I might have quit for all I know. But yes, I suspect we have too much choice, too much information, and too many opportunities for instant gratification, which makes this a "first world problem".

When I got my most recent uke, I decided to try something new: play it exclusively for a month to get to know it. Really practice with it, develop a feel for it, and learn how it ticks. By removing the bouncing around, resisting the temptation to fall back on something different (or familiar), and not confusing myself with too many different impressions from different instruments to a point where I don't know what I like anymore, I hope to not only improve more smoothly, but also form an informed opinion of what works for me, and why.

I'll see where that leads me. If I do this for each of my ukes, I'll be too busy playing what I have to buy anything new. ;)

Tootler
04-06-2017, 01:46 AM
There's no complete cure. The most you can hope for is to be in remission for a long time but beware; UAS can flare up again at any time. :old: :biglaugh:

Croaky Keith
04-06-2017, 02:13 AM
I went down that rabbit hole - for most of my first year - I think I know what I was looking for now, & so my UAS has subsided considerably, or it may have ended.
Whichever it is, I am now using the ones that I think I was looking for, more than the others which I still have.

bborzell
04-06-2017, 03:16 AM
It's really pretty simple. Hunger and/or homelessness should do it. If you are not willing to starve or risk dying from exposure to the elements, then you do not have UAS; only a wimpy wannabe version of it.

Rllink
04-06-2017, 05:25 AM
I just read over my responses in this thread from 14 months ago, and I still fundamentally have the same views. :p

I think this is really good advice. Most of my uke purchases were directly or indirectly influenced by this forum here, YouTube videos, or by window shopping. Many were also related to frustration or dissatisfaction with my lack of progress, suspecting the instrument or the size of being at fault rather than a wrong approach to learning or, more likely, my impatience and expectations.

What I also realized is that I have not often given a new instrument enough time before looking for something else. At least not focused attention as opposed to bouncing around between different instruments. It's still my belief that I'd be a better player if I had had only one uke and one book at the beginning and then stuck with it, but maybe that is a flawed view because I might have quit for all I know. But yes, I suspect we have too much choice, too much information, and too many opportunities for instant gratification, which makes this a "first world problem".
) You point the finger at three things, lack of progress, impatience, and expectations. What do you want to do? I do not seem to be afflicted by UAS. I have more than one ukulele, but in the three years that I have been playing it I have bought two, so comparatively that is not very many. I have a pretty nice ukulele that everyone seems to like, and I like it. But my goal was to accompany myself and others while we sang songs because I thought that would be fun. A pretty simple goal, I think. So I can play most any song that I want to and I am quite satisfied and perhaps that has something to do with it. And I continue to grow, but more as a result of playing a lot and picking up knowledge and skills along the way, not so much because I am working at that specifically. So I seldom get frustrated with it. But I know lots of people who seem to be frustrated with playing their ukuleles, or guitars, or harps. I have a friend who took up the ukulele because she thought that what I was doing looked fun, and she has been in a state of frustration ever since. But I think that she lost sight of where she wanted to go early on. I also think that you have hit on something. I wonder if people do project their frustration on their ukuleles and buy them for that reason.

ukatee
04-07-2017, 12:32 AM
need to save money to replace my 26 year old 240 Volvo

I feel your pain - our 23-year-old 240 died last year. We concluded it was irreplaceable, so no longer have a car. You can buy an awful lot of ukes for the annual cost of keeping a car on the road. :D

StigW
04-07-2017, 01:20 AM
You point the finger at three things, lack of progress, impatience, and expectations. What do you want to do? I do not seem to be afflicted by UAS. I have more than one ukulele, but in the three years that I have been playing it I have bought two, so comparatively that is not very many. I have a pretty nice ukulele that everyone seems to like, and I like it. But my goal was to accompany myself and others while we sang songs because I thought that would be fun. A pretty simple goal, I think. So I can play most any song that I want to and I am quite satisfied and perhaps that has something to do with it. And I continue to grow, but more as a result of playing a lot and picking up knowledge and skills along the way, not so much because I am working at that specifically. So I seldom get frustrated with it. But I know lots of people who seem to be frustrated with playing their ukuleles, or guitars, or harps. I have a friend who took up the ukulele because she thought that what I was doing looked fun, and she has been in a state of frustration ever since. But I think that she lost sight of where she wanted to go early on. I also think that you have hit on something. I wonder if people do project their frustration on their ukuleles and buy them for that reason.

I'm with you. There is a case to be made for 2 instruments (low g, high g) of the size that fits you, and possibly a baritone if you want that tuning. Otherwise, LEARN TO PLAY the damn thing.

Mivo
04-07-2017, 02:01 AM
I'm with you. There is a case to be made for 2 instruments (low g, high g) of the size that fits you, and possibly a baritone if you want that tuning. Otherwise, LEARN TO PLAY the damn thing.

"The size that fits you" is the tricky part. Most of my ukulele purchases were related to the quest of finding the size that fits me. It's more than a physical fitting too (I can play any size comfortably), but also the sound you want and the music you play. The latter is a preference that is subject to change. I do agree that learning to play with what you have is a good approach, but finding what really fits you may require quite a few tries, for some of us. As you become a better player, you may also value things that may not have mattered initially (radiused fretboard for some, nut width, neck profile, cutaway, soundport, type of wood, etc.).

DownUpDave
04-07-2017, 02:02 AM
I don't want to be cured!!!!

I am not frustrated with my progress, I have come a very long way. I have never thought a better instrument would make me a "better" player. A good instrument with a great set up makes playing easier, especially barr chords.

I just enjoy the different sounds I get from the different sizes, wood combos and builders. I agree with Mivo when he said sticking with just one instrument and one book may have caused me to become bored and lose interest.

I play and practice a lot because of all the different instruments I have. That in itself makes having UAS not as lethal as some make it out to be. We are all different and certain things work for one person and against another

Croaky Keith
04-07-2017, 02:41 AM
....... LEARN TO PLAY the damn thing.

I think that is the intent of everyone on this forum, whether you have one or lots of ukes. :)

A lot depends on tone, & song, not every uke fits well to some. Blues don't sound so good on a soprano. ;)

Having options is good. :cool:

Sporin
04-07-2017, 03:03 AM
UAS: Is there a cure?

For me it was tightening finances. :) Can't spend it if you don't have it to spend.

wayfarer75
04-07-2017, 05:02 AM

For me it was tightening finances. :) Can't spend it if you don't have it to spend.

Yup. Me too. Haven't bought anything in almost 2 years.

janeray1940
04-07-2017, 05:44 AM

Yup. Me too. Haven't bought anything in almost 2 years.

Funny how that didn't work for me! After a career transition from the for-profit to the nonprofit world that resulted in much tighter finances, somehow I've ended up with more ukuleles at one time than I have ever had before. Life is strange sometimes :)

bikemech
04-07-2017, 06:28 AM
UAS is not something to be cured. If you have the money, or want to incur the debt to do so (though that would not be my recommendation), buy to your heart's content. It's your business. There are worse things you can be doing wth your finances.

You can play almost any type of music you want to play on any particular singular ukulele you might own but....your current ukulele might be a soprano in re-entrant tuning and you want a concert strung with a low G or... your current ukulele is a soprano but you want the fuller sound and higher action of a tenor to play finger style Celtic tunes or...your current ukulele is a K-brand and you want to take take a plastic or budget ukulele on a camping trip etc. etc. There are many ways we could justify why we own or desire more than one uke but we don't have to justify it to anyone.

I know there are UU members who spend more time buying, collecting and admiring than playing. "Just learn to play the damn thing" means nothing to them and is perhaps an affront to their appreciation of the instrument. And if we say "there is a case to be made for 2 instruments", then shall we also say that no one ought to own more than two ukuleles?

I currently own two ukuleles but I can see myself owning another one or two sometime down the road. I certainly won't tell someone else they need only two or four or forty.

Cornfield
04-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Granuloma Annulare has cured me of UAS. Unfortunately, it prevents me from playing ukulele. Do you really want this cure?
Now I'm selling all of my guitars, banjos and ukes.

My newest problem is HAS - Harmonica Acquisition Syndrome.

bikemech
04-07-2017, 07:58 AM
Granuloma Annulare has cured me of UAS. Unfortunately, it prevents me from playing ukulele. Do you really want this cure?
Now I'm selling all of my guitars, banjos and ukes.

My newest problem is HAS - Harmonica Acquisition Syndrome.

I'm sorry to hear that John. I am glad you found another passion though.

Rllink
04-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Not really with me. I don't have a low g and I don't have a baritone, and I don't have any desire for either.

I don't want to be cured!!!!

I am not frustrated with my progress, I have come a very long way. I have never thought a better instrument would make me a "better" player. A good instrument with a great set up makes playing easier, especially barr chords.

I just enjoy the different sounds I get from the different sizes, wood combos and builders. I agree with Mivo when he said sticking with just one instrument and one book may have caused me to become bored and lose interest.

I play and practice a lot because of all the different instruments I have. That in itself makes having UAS not as lethal as some make it out to be. We are all different and certain things work for one person and against anotherI agree with you Dave. And I always like your approach to it. You just enjoy them. That's enough reason.

UAS is not something to be cured. If you have the money, or want to incur the debt to do so (though that would not be my recommendation), buy to your heart's content. It's your business. There are worse things you can be doing wth your finances.

You can play almost any type of music you want to play on any particular singular ukulele you might own but....your current ukulele might be a soprano in re-entrant tuning and you want a concert strung with a low G or... your current ukulele is a soprano but you want the fuller sound and higher action of a tenor to play finger style Celtic tunes or...your current ukulele is a K-brand and you want to take take a plastic or budget ukulele on a camping trip etc. etc. There are many ways we could justify why we own or desire more than one uke but we don't have to justify it to anyone.

I know there are UU members who spend more time buying, collecting and admiring than playing. "Just learn to play the damn thing" means nothing to them and is perhaps an affront to their appreciation of the instrument. And if we say "there is a case to be made for 2 instruments", then shall we also say that no one ought to own more than two ukuleles?

I currently own two ukuleles but I can see myself owning another one or two sometime down the road. I certainly won't tell someone else they need only two or four or forty. I don't think people need to justify their purchases. In fact, I don't think that people should even try to justify them. But they seem to feel like they should, and it is entertaining to read them. Sometimes I read them and I think, why don't you just say I liked it and I bought it? Why go though such mental gymnastics? But I do like to read about other people's UAS, and if I ever catch the bug I'll buy them as I please.

wayfarer75
04-07-2017, 12:37 PM
I agree. You like it, you have the money, buy it. It's nothing to me what someone else does with her/his money.

Teek
04-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Guitars cured me. Can't really play those either, but they take up so much room that it was easier to stop GAS.

sculptor
04-11-2017, 10:41 AM

As somebody who's name I shall not give once said to me, "My wife told me what my next ukulele will cost me is my marriage."

That's a great cure for UAS.

-- Gary

70sSanO
04-11-2017, 04:21 PM
For me there is a cure of sorts, but not necessarily a real acquisition syndrome cure. It is called more interests. As I have gone along through life, I have developed a number of interests and when one becomes more important my UAS is diverted to another type of *AS. In some ways it doesn't change the monetary outlay, but it does force me to decide how I want to spend the extra fun money I have.

I recently retired and I did ramp up some if my overall acquisition purchases prior to retirement to help stem purchases after my income was reduced. Not that I won't be able to eat if I buy a nice ukulele, but it is easier to be content these days. Actually I have found contentment can be a very worthy goal in life.

John