Re entrant tuning for Blackbird Clara?

EmmaQ

Reaction score
Hey, I already have a Clara in low g and I love it. But I'm also wondering about re entrant tuning with the Clara. Can you Clara players describe the tone with the high g tuning? Brightness, note articulation, etc? Also, what strings are you using? Thanks, really looking forward to your responses.

Sounds fantastic. When I had my Clara I only played re-entrant and I put Aquila Reds on it. About 30-40 people played it at a uke retreat and most everybody was surprised and said it had a woody, vintage tone.

Ukulele Eddie,
I know from reading your posts on UU, that you've owned a variety of ukuleles. How do you think the Clara compares to other ukuleles in the same price range?

Eddie, did you need to replace the nut when you put in a high-G string? Or did it work fine without modifications? My reawakened interest in concerts put the Clara back on my radar, but my interest in low-G is still dormant. :)

Hi EmmaQ. I Keep my Clara re-entrant. Generally not a low G fan, but I keep a Pono tenure and a Cocobolo concert in low G.

It took me a while to get used to Clara's brightness and get the right strings. She used to wear me out after about 15-20 minutes of playing. I'm happy with Oasis Warm strings.

Ukulele Eddie,
I know from reading your posts on UU, that you've owned a variety of ukuleles. How do you think the Clara compares to other ukuleles in the same price range?

EmmaQ - - Yeah, I've owned a few (36+ and counting ;-). I think the Clara sounds fantastic either re-entrant or Low G. And its durability is a real plus. If you told me I could only have one uke, it would be a contender.

Eddie, did you need to replace the nut when you put in a high-G string? Or did it work fine without modifications? My reawakened interest in concerts put the Clara back on my radar, but my interest in low-G is still dormant. :)

Mivo -- No, I did not have to replace the nut. No modification was needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for advice, all. I have 2 concerts- the Clara strung low g and a new Martin CK1 strung high. I've gotten so I love the tone and clarity of the Martin but I prefer the playability of the Clara. I have limited mobility in both my wrists (born this way) and I can't rotate my wrists as much as everyone else. I think that's why playing on flat fretboards are harder for me and why I play better on my Clara- I have the Clara with the radius fretboard from HMS. (I DO love the tone of the Clara too; it's not only their playability that is such a good fit for me.) I play a lot of fingerstyle that's written for high g so that's why I posed the question about the Clara and re entrant tuning. I'd like to find strings for the Clara that match the tone of the Martin more. I think the Martin came strung with Martin fluorocarbons. The Oasis warms sound good and I'm up for trying the Aquila Reds too maybe. Anyone else want to chime in?

Last edited:
My favorite strings on the Clara were Worth Brown mediums. Tried many, and those were hands-down my favorite. I traded mine out as it was too rich for my blood, and prefer wood instruments. But...to replace the durability factor, I picked up a concert Flea and am smitten. Excellent value, and a very well setup and playable instrument. Something to consider, and you can sell it in a heartbeat if you decide you don't like it. And, I only play re-entrant.

Top Bottom