PDA

View Full Version : Koa Final Results

sequoia
02-27-2016, 07:07 PM
I posted on here earlier about my cheap koa score. An "urban salvage" piece for a price I could afford (cheap). The consensus was not really negative in the lounge, but less than enthusiastic shall we say. So I finally got around to finishing it out and I think it turned out rather well.

I thicknessed it thin (~65) and braced a little sturdier than usual. This urban salvage wood was difficult to work with. Hard as iron and impossible to plane. How does it sound? So sweet make yo moma cry ukulele boy so don't even ask.

Conclusion: I'm not going to work with urban salvage koa ever again because basically I have better things to do in life than sanding wood that is the equivalent of kevlar. The big question is will it hold up over time or crack and split? Personally I have the feeling that nuclear blasts couldn't dent this wood. Get back with you in 100 years.

The raw plates

Nice chatoyance and curl

mainger
02-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Well, it looks fantastic, so it was not wasted effort... Well done!

Andyk
02-27-2016, 11:17 PM
Well done. Glad it sounds good after all that effort

cml
02-28-2016, 04:01 AM
I think it looks really great! Any chance for a better picture of the fretboard, it looks very nice :)? Also really like the binding and purfling on the top!

sequoia
02-28-2016, 09:11 AM
I think it looks really great! Any chance for a better picture of the fretboard, it looks very nice :)? Also really like the binding and purfling on the top!

Sure. Fretboard below...

cml
02-28-2016, 09:40 AM
I wonder why fretboards with binding aren't more common, I think it looks refined in a way. Would very much like to have it on a future uke.
Great job with this one, and nice to see some recycled materials being used and turning out this neat!

granger
02-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Beautiful!!!!!

sequoia
02-28-2016, 04:33 PM
I wonder why fretboards with binding aren't more common, I think it looks refined in a way.

I think the reason is that time is money and bound fretboards, while not that difficult, do take an extra amount of time. Basically, they are a pain in the butt and don't effect the sound, so why bother? I would have nothing else on my ukes as a player. I do not like the feeling of frets rubbing against my fingers while playing and bound fretboard decrease that feeling if not eliminating it altogether. Plus, you don't have to deal with those nasty tange corners when dressing your frets which can be sharp and literally dangerous. (My bleeding fingers are actually bleeding!). I learned by watching a Beau H. video how to properly round the things and I have never gone back. Only way to go if you are a player. Plus I think it does make things cleaner looking. Maybe a little too dressed up for a humble ukulele? Perhaps yes, but the added comfort for the player trumps any pretensions to grandeur.

Inksplosive AL
02-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Sure looks pretty! What would wood like that be reclaimed or salvaged from?

sequoia
02-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Sure looks pretty! What would wood like that be reclaimed or salvaged from?

Don't really know what "urban salvage" means. Probably old beams from a warehouse or maybe floors from a demolition tear-down of an old house. The stuff was plenty dried out that is for sure. Who knows. Maybe somebody from Hawaii that knows something about koa salvage will post.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-29-2016, 08:16 AM
I wonder why fretboards with binding aren't more common, I think it looks refined in a way. Would very much like to have it on a future uke.

Because it takes a lot more time and most of the time that time is spent on something you don't even see. Every fret needs to be notched, ground or filed down so that the tangs fit snugly between the bindings. Add purflings to the top and bottom of the board and you've got even more time involved. It takes me about 3 hours to fret and finish a bound fingerboard, about 10 minutes without.

cml
02-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Because it takes a lot more time and most of the time that time is spent on something you don't even see. Every fret needs to be notched, ground or filed down so that the tangs fit snugly between the bindings. Add purflings to the top and bottom of the board and you've got even more time involved. It takes me about 3 hours to fret and finish a bound fingerboard, about 10 minutes without.
Thanks for the reply! I do get that it takes more time, I am just thinking that if I were to get a custom, that extra cost would be worth it - at least to me. It looks really nice in my opinion, and I wouldnt mind the benefits of less fret end issues as described by Sequoia.

chefuke
02-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Great Work and an Amazing outcome!

Vespa Bob
03-01-2016, 08:16 AM
You took on a challenge and more than succeeded, you created a beauty! Congratulations on great effort.

Bob

DelSc
03-01-2016, 09:46 AM
The figure on that top sure looks great. Its amazing that its salvage wood.

Steve in Kent
03-02-2016, 05:08 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous, you have got wonderful skills.

Philligan
03-02-2016, 05:58 AM
It looks amazing...I would love to hear how it sounds. Great work!