Beau Hannam Player's Model Build Progress

Rakelele

Reaction score
This will be my wife's uke, but she lets me show it off here... :)

We have been curious about Beau Hannam's work for quite a while, so we contacted him a little over a year ago with our idea of an all blonde Tenor with Maple and Spruce, a classic wood combination used on many types of stringed instruments. Beau has taken it from there and incorporated many artistic details, even though this is "only" his Player's model.

Beau decided "to go all Switzerland on us", as he put it, so he has been using a piece of Swiss Moon Spruce for the soundboard and will probably go with some Shertler tuners made in Switzerland.

The uke is starting to look pretty good, so I thought I'd show you some pictures of the build in progress as it approaches completion.

Swiss Moon Spruce top with Spalted Maple rosette:
Hannam_11.jpg

Maple back and sides, sound port reinforced with Oak burl:
Hannam_16.jpg

Some coats of laqcuer applied:
Hannam_35.jpg

Rosewood body binding with mitered end graft:
Hannam_36.jpg

Maple faceplate with an inlaid piece of Koa and engraved "H" logo:
Hannam_43.jpg

Oak burl veneer on the back of the headstock:
Hannam_46.jpg

Port Orford Cedar neck to match the blonde theme:
Hannam_49.jpg

Beau's special heel design, covered with a Rosewood cap:
Hannam_51.jpg

Wow, that looks beautiful! Can't wait to see the final pics. Congratulations! and remember, what's her's is your's :)

Really beautiful, Rainer! Keep the updates coming.

Yes, this uke is gorgeous. With all the upgrades, would you say it's more a custom than a players model?

Thanks guys! Luckily, we share pretty much everything, including this wonderful hobby, so I'll get to play this uke as well... :)

Hodge, I can only say that we feel treated like first class customers, Beau has certainly put the same amount of attention to our order as with more expensive ones.

The top looks amazing. Extremely tight grain lines, and you can see plenty of silking even in the pic. Beau did not skimp on your players top that is for sure :)

I have been wondering about "your wifes" new ukuele. Thanks for sharing the pictures, I really love that rosewood heel cap, pure class. You might remember I have a ukulele with a spalted maple rosette so I am obviously a big fan of that as well. Rainer better be a good boy so he can get some playing time on the new "player".

Well Rainer, what can I add that hasn't been said? Truly a beautiful instrument.

The damn thing is that when I see all these gorgeous wood combo's and decorations, I question if I have made the right choices on my Players. I guess though that if it comes out of Beau's workshop it will be a beautiful instrument. I gotta stop over thinking these things!!!

I'll share that I have my own Player's model upcoming (also with some upgrades) and am very excited about it.
Yours looks gorgeous, Rakelele! Congratulations!

I'll share that I have my own Player's model upcoming (also with some upgrades) and am very excited about it.
Yours looks gorgeous, Rakelele! Congratulations!

Me as well. Sort cool if our ukes all overlap in the shop even just a little bit.

Beau is amazing, check out my Ziticote threads if you want to see his all custom work in progress.

Ha, looks like Beau will not be running out of work anytime soon! :)

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Players models, Hollis, Craig, and Eddie. Has Beau started building them yet? What woods have you chosen? Rick, your Ziricote/Redwood is the most crazy-beautiful uke I've seen to date. Dave, I think it was your uke that gave us the idea to go with a Spalted Maple rosette. Hollis, it was the same for us: While we waited for our build to start, we've discussed our wood choices over and over again. I guess there comes a time where you just have to go with it and trust that it will turn out right...

Ha, looks like Beau will not be running out of work anytime soon! :)

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Players models, Hollis, Craig, and Eddie. Has Beau started building them yet? What woods have you chosen? Rick, your Ziricote/Redwood is the most crazy-beautiful uke I've seen to date. Dave, I think it was your uke that gave us the idea to go with a Spalted Maple rosette. Hollis, it was the same for us: While we waited for our build to start, we've discussed our wood choices over and over again. I guess there comes a time where you just have to go with it and trust that it will turn out right...
You're so right. I have already sent 5 order form updates. At this point in time my players is going to have:all tassie Blackwood, hand rubbed burst, custom mosaic rosette, bound body(haven't finally decided in what), bound headstock, I will most likely have the fretboard bound also, MiSi pickup, Gotoh UTP tuners.

From what I hear, the uke is almost ready to ship. Here are some recent pictures we received from Beau.

Schertler tuners from Switzerland to match the Swiss Moon Spruce:
Hannam_55.jpg

Rosewood fretboard with semi-hemispherical fret ends:
Hannam_56.jpg

Rosewood body binding and side sound port:
Hannam_57.jpg

Sculpted heel cap:
Hannam_59.jpg

Koa inlay on Maple faceplate, H for Hannam:
Hannam_58.jpg

im getting professional pics taken of this uke tomorrow- these were all just on my phone.- ill be putting this uke on my website as she is a looker :)

Top Bottom