PDA

View Full Version : LFDM string suggestions?

Jayfuzi
02-28-2016, 08:46 PM
I own a cedar/Macassar ebony LFDM and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on strings. I just put on some high G Fremont black strings which are okay. I've tried Savarez, Southcoast HML-RW's, Oasis Warms, Worth Browns, and now the Fremonts. I think the Worths have been my favorite so far. Just curious if there are any recommendations out there!

Thanks!

Rakelele
02-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Great uke you got there. To me, LFdM and Southcoast HML-RW are a match made in heaven for deep, rich tone. I keep it strictly low G, though. Have you tried Worth Clears? They work well on my Cedar top, better than the Browns.

mm stan
02-28-2016, 10:31 PM
What type of tone are you looking for, and what style do you play, do you pick or strum?

Jayfuzi
02-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Great uke you got there. To me, LFdM and Southcoast HML-RW are a match made in heaven for deep, rich tone. I keep it strictly low G, though. Have you tried Worth Clears? They work well on my Cedar top, better than the Browns.

I haven't tried the Worth Clears yet, I'll give it a try thanks!

Jayfuzi
02-29-2016, 09:15 AM
What type of tone are you looking for, and what style do you play, do you pick or strum?

I've been working on chord-melody stuff, so may be a little bit of both? My LFDM is a bit loud on the open E string (wolf note?). I actually had a chance to meet Luis (such a nice man) and talked to him about it. He suggested maybe trying a lower tension string than the Southcoast strings I had on it at the time. I liked the the bell-like tone on the Southcoast on every string except the E.

Thanks!

DownUpDave
02-29-2016, 12:35 PM
I've been working on chord-melody stuff, so may be a little bit of both? My LFDM is a bit loud on the open E string (wolf note?). I actually had a chance to meet Luis (such a nice man) and talked to him about it. He suggested maybe trying a lower tension string than the Southcoast strings I had on it at the time. I liked the the bell-like tone on the Southcoast on every string except the E.

Thanks!

Very good question by Stan and a very good detailed answer from yourself. I can help you with your problem.

I own a LfdM and a friend and neighbor, sam13, does as well. I am a huge fan of Dirk and South Coast strings but there is an issue with the E string in both HML-RW and the new ML-WB set. I have had the HML-RW on a Pono, Webber, LfdM, Compass Rose and a Collings, some have had 2 or three sets on them. So it is a large sampling of the same string set over almost two years. Every single E string always sounded not balanced with the rest of the set. That is the wolf note you are referring to and it has happened on all the above listed ukes. I just change out the E string with an Oasis E string, either from a bright or warm set, doesn't matter. Problem is solved.

I received an Ono 16" concert with ML-WB, which I had specified and same problem with the wonky sounding E string. I switched it out with an Oasis and the set sounds great now

sam13
02-29-2016, 01:26 PM
I like Bright Oasis wound Low G on my Sinker Redwood. No wound third.

I prefer the gauge and the tone over the South Coast.

NewKid
02-29-2016, 01:53 PM
I've had a cedar-topped LFDM for nearly three years and play mainly chord melody on it. I use Aquila Nylguts with a wound low G and it sounds fantastic to me. I tried fluorocarbon stings on and honestly it sounds great with any string set on there and that's not the case with my other high-end ukes.

JustinJ
02-29-2016, 03:02 PM
I really like Phd strings. They seem the most balanced and they last a long time. I wear out strings fast and I've had the same set on now for three months. I like using a Fremont Squeakless Low G but the unwound low G that comes with the Phds works. I play mostly finger style and chord melody.

hawaii 50
02-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Very good question by Stan and a very good detailed answer from yourself. I can help you with your problem.

I own a LfdM and a friend and neighbor, sam13, does as well. I am a huge fan of Dirk and South Coast strings but there is an issue with the E string in both HML-RW and the new ML-WB set. I have had the HML-RW on a Pono, Webber, LfdM, Compass Rose and a Collings, some have had 2 or three sets on them. So it is a large sampling of the same string set over almost two years. Every single E string always sounded not balanced with the rest of the set. That is the wolf note you are referring to and it has happened on all the above listed ukes. I just change out the E string with an Oasis E string, either from a bright or warm set, doesn't matter. Problem is solved.

I received an Ono 16" concert with ML-WB, which I had specified and same problem with the wonky sounding E string. I switched it out with an Oasis and the set sounds great now

I like the HML-RW with Oasis E and A strings....but I usually change the LowG to a Soloist

Jayfuzi
02-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Thanks all for the great suggestions! I would never have thought about just changing the E string to a different set! It's nice to hear it's not just me with the loud E string. I will definitely try some of the recommendations.