LFDM string suggestions?

Jayfuzi

Reaction score
I own a cedar/Macassar ebony LFDM and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on strings. I just put on some high G Fremont black strings which are okay. I've tried Savarez, Southcoast HML-RW's, Oasis Warms, Worth Browns, and now the Fremonts. I think the Worths have been my favorite so far. Just curious if there are any recommendations out there!

Thanks!

Great uke you got there. To me, LFdM and Southcoast HML-RW are a match made in heaven for deep, rich tone. I keep it strictly low G, though. Have you tried Worth Clears? They work well on my Cedar top, better than the Browns.

Great uke you got there. To me, LFdM and Southcoast HML-RW are a match made in heaven for deep, rich tone. I keep it strictly low G, though. Have you tried Worth Clears? They work well on my Cedar top, better than the Browns.

I haven't tried the Worth Clears yet, I'll give it a try thanks!

What type of tone are you looking for, and what style do you play, do you pick or strum?

I've been working on chord-melody stuff, so may be a little bit of both? My LFDM is a bit loud on the open E string (wolf note?). I actually had a chance to meet Luis (such a nice man) and talked to him about it. He suggested maybe trying a lower tension string than the Southcoast strings I had on it at the time. I liked the the bell-like tone on the Southcoast on every string except the E.

Thanks!

I've been working on chord-melody stuff, so may be a little bit of both? My LFDM is a bit loud on the open E string (wolf note?). I actually had a chance to meet Luis (such a nice man) and talked to him about it. He suggested maybe trying a lower tension string than the Southcoast strings I had on it at the time. I liked the the bell-like tone on the Southcoast on every string except the E.

Thanks!

Very good question by Stan and a very good detailed answer from yourself. I can help you with your problem.

I own a LfdM and a friend and neighbor, sam13, does as well. I am a huge fan of Dirk and South Coast strings but there is an issue with the E string in both HML-RW and the new ML-WB set. I have had the HML-RW on a Pono, Webber, LfdM, Compass Rose and a Collings, some have had 2 or three sets on them. So it is a large sampling of the same string set over almost two years. Every single E string always sounded not balanced with the rest of the set. That is the wolf note you are referring to and it has happened on all the above listed ukes. I just change out the E string with an Oasis E string, either from a bright or warm set, doesn't matter. Problem is solved.

I received an Ono 16" concert with ML-WB, which I had specified and same problem with the wonky sounding E string. I switched it out with an Oasis and the set sounds great now

Last edited:
I like Bright Oasis wound Low G on my Sinker Redwood. No wound third.

I prefer the gauge and the tone over the South Coast.

I've had a cedar-topped LFDM for nearly three years and play mainly chord melody on it. I use Aquila Nylguts with a wound low G and it sounds fantastic to me. I tried fluorocarbon stings on and honestly it sounds great with any string set on there and that's not the case with my other high-end ukes.

I really like Phd strings. They seem the most balanced and they last a long time. I wear out strings fast and I've had the same set on now for three months. I like using a Fremont Squeakless Low G but the unwound low G that comes with the Phds works. I play mostly finger style and chord melody.

Very good question by Stan and a very good detailed answer from yourself. I can help you with your problem.

I own a LfdM and a friend and neighbor, sam13, does as well. I am a huge fan of Dirk and South Coast strings but there is an issue with the E string in both HML-RW and the new ML-WB set. I have had the HML-RW on a Pono, Webber, LfdM, Compass Rose and a Collings, some have had 2 or three sets on them. So it is a large sampling of the same string set over almost two years. Every single E string always sounded not balanced with the rest of the set. That is the wolf note you are referring to and it has happened on all the above listed ukes. I just change out the E string with an Oasis E string, either from a bright or warm set, doesn't matter. Problem is solved.

I received an Ono 16" concert with ML-WB, which I had specified and same problem with the wonky sounding E string. I switched it out with an Oasis and the set sounds great now

I like the HML-RW with Oasis E and A strings....but I usually change the LowG to a Soloist

Thanks all for the great suggestions! I would never have thought about just changing the E string to a different set! It's nice to hear it's not just me with the loud E string. I will definitely try some of the recommendations.

Top Bottom