PDA

View Full Version : Pono vs. Mainland Tenor

BB11
02-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Guitar player wanting to play Ukulele, i think tenor is a good place to start. I was focused on the mahogany Mainland tenor for $270. Then i saw on HMS some Pono in mahogany and Acacia. On the video i preferred the mahogany ( my preference in guitars as well). The Pono is $200 or so more. The Acacia had open back tuners, both mahogany ukes have closed back tuners. Any thoughts as this will be my learning instrument and if I upgrade may get sold. Thank you.

johnson430
02-29-2016, 03:28 PM
I like the satin finish and truss rod of the Pono. I think the Mainland is gloss.
This is a personal opinion. Some like gloss more.
I own a Pono MGT(satin) and have had the MTD(gloss tenor mahogany deluxe).
Both are wonderful instruments.
Depends on what you like.
I would listen to sound samples of both or if you can try to play one in person.
The neck on the Pono is very manageable too. Some have said it is chunky, not true.

johnson430
02-29-2016, 03:30 PM
I was focused on the mahogany Mainland tenor for $270. The Pono is $200 or so more.

The Pono MT is only 81 more at 351.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mt-mahogany-tenor.html

BB11
02-29-2016, 03:37 PM
I like the satin finish and truss rod of the Pono. I think the Mainland is gloss.
This is a personal opinion. Some like gloss more.
I own a Pono MGT(satin) and have had the MTD(gloss tenor mahogany deluxe).
Both are wonderful instruments.
Depends on what you like.
I would listen to sound samples of both or if you can try to play one in person.
The neck on the Pono is very manageable too. Some have said it is chunky, not true.

Thank you. They make satin as well but the Pono looks good

BB11
02-29-2016, 03:38 PM
I just found the MT. It us out of stock and i just sent an email about it coming back in. Thanks.

Jim Hanks
02-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Either is a good choice. If you order either from a reputable dealer that does a proper setup (HMS, Mainland, Uke Republic, Mim are the usual suspects), you will get a quality instrument that will probably surprise you in terms of "needing" to upgrade any time soon. If you do decide to upgrade, resale on either will be decent. You'll lose money of course but should have little trouble selling. For that matter, you may find one or both for sale on the marketplace here or at the FMM site.

Mivo
02-29-2016, 03:59 PM
On the video i preferred the mahogany ( my preference in guitars as well).

I'd go with that.

BB11
03-01-2016, 05:08 AM
Things get harder as i look. There is this one too

KALA KA-SMHT - SOLID MAHOGANY TENOR

DownUpDave
03-01-2016, 05:17 AM
Things get harder as i look. There is this one too

KALA KA-SMHT - SOLID MAHOGANY TENOR

Yes the choices can seem endless.

Patrick Madsen
03-01-2016, 05:41 AM
Mainland has a thinner neck. Pono more chunkier.

BB11
03-01-2016, 06:07 AM
How is the neck on the kala imports. Chunky may be ok for a guitar player. I will try to handle some soon.

johnson430
03-02-2016, 03:25 AM
How is the neck on the kala imports. Chunky may be ok for a guitar player. I will try to handle some soon.

I came from guitar and love playing my Pono MGT.
The truss rod in the Pono tenor is another bonus at this price point.

Nickie
03-02-2016, 04:43 PM
You usually can't go wrong with a Kala, as long as you buy it from one of the aforementioned dealers. My Kala had such a chunky neck I took it to a local luthier and had him hone it down to fit my hand better. Now it plays like a dream. I bought it for less than $300. A friend of mine just bought a Mainland, and she loves it. I've only played a couple of Pono ukes, didn't like the necks. If I bought one, my luthier would thin the neck for me.