PDA

View Full Version : Australian Guilele

DotBot
03-01-2016, 12:14 PM
hi folks,

I've been lurking around here for more than a year now but this is my first time to share a new build. I really enjoy reading and looking at the pictures; I've learned a lot from doing so.

I'm from the US but currently living in Canberra, capital of Australia. While I've been in Oz I've tried to learn about and use Australian timbers. There are some fantastic options here.

This is my first guilele and third (successful) build overall.

I have a hard case for my tenor uke and the guilele fits snugly, for which I'm very happy. :o

The back and sides are Silver Wattle from Tasmania, the bindings are Jarrah from way out west, top is Bunya "pine", neck is Tasmanian blackwood, fretboard is a desert hardwood called Mineritchie. (Silver Wattle, Tassie Blackwood, and Mineritchie are all acacias; I'm a bit of a tree nerd.)

And some more pics:

Thanks for looking!

Aaron

sequoia
03-01-2016, 12:42 PM
A very nice looking instrument. It must be fun having all those exotic woods at your disposal. Exotic at least to me here in America... I did cringe to see that lovely instrument sitting on that sharp brick wall. I'm paranoid about scratches myself, although I'm sure you put it on there very carefully.

DotBot
03-01-2016, 01:20 PM
A very nice looking instrument. It must be fun having all those exotic woods at your disposal. Exotic at least to me here in America... I did cringe to see that lovely instrument sitting on that sharp brick wall. I'm paranoid about scratches myself, although I'm sure you put it on there very carefully.

Ha! Yes, those bricks are formidable. I am not up to the level of see-your-reflection-in-the-finish yet but I set it down VERY gently all the same.

greenscoe
03-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Thanks for posting, its always good to see what others are making. Its a pretty guilele ( I like the box shape) and you obviously have what it takes to make instruments.

I'm assuming you play this and your tenor uke so I'm wondering whether you are happy with the way this sounds?

Titchtheclown
03-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Welcome to my neighborhood.
The local woodcraft guild has a shed in Kambah and a musical instrument special interest group.
http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au
Hope you enjoy the searing summers and frosty nights in winter

Cheers
Titch.

DotBot
03-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Thanks for posting, its always good to see what others are making. Its a pretty guilele ( I like the box shape) and you obviously have what it takes to make instruments.

I'm assuming you play this and your tenor uke so I'm wondering whether you are happy with the way this sounds?

Thanks, greenscoe! The shape is loosely based on the "small jumbo" models of some of the high-end guitar builders.

I realize I didn't say anything about the sound before, only the wood. I am quite happy though we're still getting to know each other. It's a lot of fun to play!

I think it is decent in the low end--moreso than I expected from the small frame--but a bit quieter than my tenor uke. For strings I'm using the Aquila guilele set but, as with my tenor, I pretty quickly replaced the Nylgut strings with their red strings.

Welcome to my neighborhood.
The local woodcraft guild has a shed in Kambah and a musical instrument special interest group.
http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au
Hope you enjoy the searing summers and frosty nights in winter

Cheers
Titch.

Thanks, Titch. I've been meaning to get down to Kambah for that. I get the full enjoyment of the weather in my unheated garage!

anthonyg
03-02-2016, 12:11 AM
Great instrument DotBot.

Its good to see some Canberra people here. I live in Queanbeyan but I spend quite a bit of time in Canberra. I'm the older guy who busks with a ukulele on my lap (amplified with an AC-33 most of the time) around the Canberra Centre. Say G'day if you see me. There is a younger guy with longer hair busking with a ukulele sometimes. Say G'day to him too but I'm older and losing my hair.

Anthony

DotBot
03-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Thanks Anthony. I will stop and say hello if I see you there.

Cheers,
Aaron