4th string not parallel

mikemcnerney

Reaction score
I just strung up my first tenor build & the 4th string is not parallel to the fret board. It's 1/8 at the nut and 3/32 at the 14th. Looks like I mounted the bridge off just that much. What to do? I was thinking about notching the saddle for the 4th to move it over.
If there was a way to enlarge the hole that might help but I can't think of how to do that?
suggestions please
mike mcnerney

no strings are ever parallel to the fretboard, as in the line from nut to bridge OVER the frets, for if they were, when you fret a string, all the frets forward to the bridge would cause buzzing

maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if you could explain it better, you might get more help or better suggestions from others

where did you learn that the strings have to be parallel to the fretboard?

I'm confused.

no strings are ever parallel to the fretboard, as in the line from nut to bridge OVER the frets, for if they were, when you fret a string, all the frets forward to the bridge would cause buzzing

maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if you could explain it better, you might get more help or better suggestions from others

where did you learn that the strings have to be parallel to the fretboard?

I'm confused.

I'm thinking he means the edge of the fretboard, not the face.

I just strung up my first tenor build & the 4th string is not parallel to the fret board. It's 1/8 at the nut and 3/32 at the 14th. Looks like I mounted the bridge off just that much. What to do? I was thinking about notching the saddle for the 4th to move it over.
If there was a way to enlarge the hole that might help but I can't think of how to do that?
suggestions please
mike mcnerney
I would make a new nut and maybe split the difference. Or try filling the hole and drilling a new one

Yes it's the edge of the fretboard as you look down on the instrument,
I would consider filling the old hole & drilling a new one but the hole is about 1/8" from the top so I can't imagine how to do that without removing the bridge which I'm not willing to do.
mm

The first string is acceptable. I'm not sure what you mean by pitch but I think I just drilled the hole in the wrong place.
I just need to decide how I would fix it or do I live with it.

Is the top join (the center of the top) in the middle of the two middle strings?

Are your strings all the same distance apart at the bridge?

If yes, then the fingerboard may have slipped when glueing it on.

The vast majority of people looking at the uke won't even register a string that is 1/32" out of line so don't worry too much about what others might think.
As far as you're concerned, the importance of the string being off course depends on how you play. If you are a first position strummer, you'll probably never have a problem. Put it down as a lesson learned for next time and live with it.
If you're a 100mph finger picker up and down the neck, it may be a problem. Reposition the hole and remember to measure more precisely next time.
Miguel

Yes it's the edge of the fretboard as you look down on the instrument,
I would consider filling the old hole & drilling a new one but the hole is about 1/8" from the top so I can't imagine how to do that without removing the bridge which I'm not willing to do.
mm

You actually can re-drill the bridge with it attached to the top. First fill the hole you don't want with an ebony dowel shaved/sanded to the right diameter. Then use an extra long 1/16" drill bit (commonly available available up to 6" long) to drill a new hole from the tail end of the ukulele.

Top Bottom