HATS. ( Just a bit of fun.)

Yes of course! :mraz:

Actually, in a loud group and particularly outdoors, a hat with a wide brim makes it easier to hear your own voice. Like when radio announcers cup their hands over their ears. I learned this from tin whistle players. Doesn't work so well for hearing a uke, unless you bend down over the instrument... which, come to think of it, a lot of players do when playing a solo and looking at the frets.

SanSe Festival 2016. San Juan, PR. My neighbor helping me out with Lagrimas Negras.

SanSe.jpg

Beach Hat. Gilligan style.

Ukin the beach in black and white.jpg

Last edited:
I have such a gi-gundous melon that hats don't look right on me. (If I'm able to find one that fits.)

Hats are a lot like facial hair. There are a LOT more guys that wear them than actually look good in them!

I have such a gi-gundous melon that hats don't look right on me. (If I'm able to find one that fits.)

Hats are a lot like facial hair. There are a LOT more guys that wear them than actually look good in them!

I too have a giant sized head, and I have trouble finding hats that fit me. However, I do find and buy them. I've worn hats all my life even when I was a kid, and I still have lots of hair! I also have a good long, though only medium thick, beard.

I don't think one can play the banjo without a long beard and a hat. Now I'm thinking of buying some bib-overalls and some lace-up brogans and having one of my front teeth removed. Yeeee-hah!

:cheers: :eek:ld:

I've tried hats, but I didn't like myself in them, and neither did the female persons of importance think so. I like caps, though, and those seem to find approval by others, too. I think the way I dress (casually) works better with golf caps and such than with most hatty hats.

Always maintained whiskers. Rarely an actual beard, mostly just the 3-day scruff. First to look older, then, when I was older, to look younger. :)

I never go out of the house without a Fedora on me bonce. I'd feel naked without one!!
Cheers
Gary

Absolutely, I don't kill the audience with glare from my five head. Plus the baloney patch on the back of my head is concealed. I wish I had one of the hats with a pony tail sewn in.

A winter hat is a pretty essential bit of kit in my part of the world - it gets very wet and windy (too windy for umbrellas). Beanies are pretty ubiquitous during the chillier months of the year.

Just the other day I was thinking I might treat myself to 'newsboy' style cap as we head into spring/summer.

Edit: so that I can look all folksy and bohemian when I'm playing my uke, obviously.

Last edited:
I feel like pith helmets should be mandatory ukulele attire.

77792_ts.jpg

Attachments

• 204255_ts.jpg
    204255_ts.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 77792_ts.jpg
    77792_ts.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 4
Hats don't make me a better player, but they keep the sun off my head when I'm outside. As a bald man with a family history of skin cancer, that's very important. They also shade my eyes. I have a couple of Tilley Hats like this one, which actually come in large enough sizes to fit my head. I don't usually wear hats indoors, though; it's one of those old-fashioned attitudes carried over from my folks.

These hats aren't flashy, but neither is any other part of my "style," if that's the right word. I've always worn clothes that don't go out of style because they're never really in style. From what I've seen, this seems to be common among uke players.

I've had a beard since around '91. I trim it every 3 to 4 weeks with a 1/4-inch comb on an electric trimmer. It's white, so I doubt that it makes me look younger. ;)

Living in Arizona and having fair skin, hats are a must. I burn easily. The difficult part is finding ones that are lightweight and still look good.

Living in Arizona and having fair skin, hats are a must. I burn easily. The difficult part is finding ones that are lightweight and still look good.

Not to sound like a shill, but check out that Tilley hat I linked to above. I have no financial or familial interest in the company, but I can't say enough about their products, and that breathable hat is the best I've found anywhere. I sweat profusely, and SoCal heat really tests my patience with hats. How you feel about its looks are up to you, but I get occasional compliments on mine.

I've had a beard since around '91. I trim it every 3 to 4 weeks with a 1/4-inch comb on an electric trimmer. It's white, so I doubt that it makes me look younger. ;)

I'm only at the silver (a greatly superior word to "grey") streaks stage of whiskers color transformation, so keeping it in the 3-5 days length range hides these much better. No facial hair at all makes me feel naked. Maintenance would be easier, though -- the scruffy look without looking bum-like requires effort.

Being a man is hard work. *nods*

I have two uke hats. Lots of the guys around here wear them, but only one or two other gals do. I think I look like a dork hatted.
It makes me more prosperous, though, cause I pass one around at our jam session so I don't have to pay for the room, equipment, and printing alone.
Thank goddess, no beard.....

I was wondering whether or when a female would answer :D Seems like hats are more a must for male ukers.

I was wondering whether or when a female would answer :D Seems like hats are more a must for male ukers.

Oh that's funny, I was wondering the same thing! I've seen a fair number of women ukers (and non-ukers for that matter, seems to be a bit of a trend in general) wearing men's fedora-style hats (a la Jake) the last few years, but it's definitely not a look that I'd personally try to pull off.

65c57ebd513ee392e1eba890c6f60f00.jpg

Top Bottom