PONO- Well respected...wide range in prices for the same wood family

ZappCatt

Reaction score
I am pushing the upper limits of my UAS budget, and after hearing all the great things about Pono, both here in the forums, and the HMS sound samples, I started to look at them.

I am trying to figure out what level to really dig in at.

Entry level Acacia- Pono Tenor AT -$351 delivered

Next model- Pono ATDC- adds gloss and cutaway..and $200 to price $559. Are those the only differences? Is sound/playability increased? or just easier to hit higher frets(which is not an issue with my limited ability at this time)

The next jump is another $160 to the Pono AT-PC where there is bling, radius fretboard, hardcase, but the loss of the cutaway at $719.

I also notice that they seem to change out their offerings every few years. i.e. the PTC and RT-PC do not seem to be offered anymore, were their issues, or just not a lot of demand?

Any thoughts, or suggestions would be appreciated!

new shipment of Pono's coming in very soon...maybe the next 2 weeks

I love Pono. :))

The cutaway is purely to provide access to those frets. The bling is purely for looks. If tone is all you care about, some might argue that a thin satin finish without the cutaway is the way to go. (I can't hear the difference.) I haven't spent time with radius fretboards, but I hear good things.

Honestly, I think we tend to overthink these things. I think each person's probably better off listening to their heart, rather than their head. I think it's more like love. Totally personal, with logic playing little if any role. :)

I love Pono. :))

The cutaway is purely to provide access to those frets. The bling is purely for looks. If tone is all you care about, some might argue that a thin satin finish without the cutaway is the way to go. (I can't hear the difference.) I haven't spent time with radius fretboards, but I hear good things.

Honestly, I think we tend to overthink these things. I think each person's probably better off listening to their heart, rather than their head. I think it's more like love. Totally personal, with logic playing little if any role. :)

This isn't going to help you . . .

one of the best sounding ukes I've ever played was a pono cutaway. Rosewood b/s and spruce top. Sounded better than anything else on the walls at HMS at the time. But that's just to my ear.

Good luck in your search. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them personally.

This isn't going to help you . . .

one of the best sounding ukes I've ever played was a pono cutaway. Rosewood b/s and spruce top. Sounded better than anything else on the walls at HMS at the time. But that's just to my ear.

This speaks volumes about any acoustic instrument, not just Pono. No matter what you get online, it will be a good ukulele, but there is something to being able to play a number of ukuleles sitting on a wall and finding the one that "speaks to you"... even if that particular ukulele didn't speak to the last person playing it.

As someone already said, don't over-think this, but call HMS and ask them about what they have on hand and get a feel for their opinion.

John

I love my Pono. I have a cedar top acacia cutaway Bari w/ misi pickup(pro series classic w radius fretboard and some bling + case)I have had way more expensive ukes but none sounded any better than my Pono. I would suggest the possibility of picking up one used. Got mine locally for $500 (with some extras thrown in like extra strings, Daily Uke, etc., things I didn't need but passed on to other ukers. Some folks move on to what they think will be a better uke and they let these Ponos go for an excellent price.

I like the basic model. I own the Pono MGT.
I have also owned the more expensive Pono MTD but sold it and kept the mango.
The MTD had an ebony fret board, which I loved. But the sound was more compressed because of the gloss.
I like a less compressed sound and that is why I kept my satin finish MGT over the more expensive gloss MTD.
But that is what I like and might not be what you like.

Incidentally, I sold the MDT to a local musician who plays a custom made Kamaka koa tenor. She strummed the MTD once, made a connection, and fell in love.
Something I never experienced with that uke.

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep it coming.

I am looking at used ones, but since they are so loved, they keep their resale value, so the entry level one is very similar in price to heavily discounted higher cost ones.

There are some online used ones which have driven this goal for more information.

I just found a local dealer who has some Ponos(not sure if they are new or used, or both) when in Hawaii, I did not stumble on any dealers who had Pono instruments.

I just found a local dealer who has some Ponos(not sure if they are new or used, or both) when in Hawaii, I did not stumble on any dealers who had Pono instruments.

Really? I was just at Bounty Music in Maui a few weeks ago where they had a huge range of Ponos, which I had a great time trying out. In the end, I decided to buy another brand, but they were certainly there.

I have a Pono MGT (mango tenor with satin finish) and I like it a lot. The body is slightly larger and deeper than other tenors I've seen, and the top appears to be slightly radiused, which doesn't seem to be common with ukes. Also uncommon is the adjustable truss rod, which Pono puts in their tenors and baritones. The fit and finish are top notch; I can't imagine better. The appearance is as plain as it gets, aside of the wood grain, but that's what kept the price within my reach.

The tone was rather tight when I got it, but it's loosening up. I wasn't thrilled with the stock strings, so I'm doing some experimenting, currently using New Nylguts.

If it was me... I'd call Andrew and see if he's got that atd-2, or whatever they're calling it today.
Cedar top, acacia back, radius'd fretboard. Sort of a poor mans PC without the slot head or the extra bling.

Same price as the cutaway though, but no cut away.
I think it's like the fancy stuff, without the fancy price of the bling.

I have an ATSH-PC, but it's been a struggle to string it so that it speaks. It kinda needs powerful strings to drive the sound board. I've got mahana wound 3rd/4th, and oasis 1st/second on now, and it's better. I think it does need wound 3|4 strings to get the most out of it.

If you go with the atd-2 the cedar top will be easier to drive with more string sets.

Lots of Pono love here!
My Pono is in my top three favorite ukuleles to play (they are like children, hard to pick a most favorite!) but it is not in top three I have as far as purchase price.
I have a PKT-1 Koa tenor, they no longer make those, but it is an exceptionally well-made instrument and I cannot say enough about its quality and playability.
If you find one that you like, chances are you will hang on to it.
In fact, mine is good enough that for me I have a hard time justifying the expense of a "fine" ukulele because I have not come across any other ukuleles I can afford that are significantly better than my Pono.
Mine has a gloss finish that looks as good now as it did when I purchased it 10 years ago.
10 years? Really? I just realized I have had it 10 years as I type this.

Here is my :2cents:
I would never buy one with out playing it first. I have found them to be hit or miss lately. Some sound awesome, while others I have played are total duds.
Not sure what is going on.
I also wonder when so many go on the UU marketplace.

Here is my :2cents:
I would never buy one with out playing it first. I have found them to be hit or miss lately. Some sound awesome, while others I have played are total duds.
Not sure what is going on.
I also wonder when so many go on the UU marketplace.

wow you really got something against Pono....;)
I do not own a Pono or a Collins,they both have there loyal fans and both are nice..just wanted to know your opinion on why the Collins ukes are on the market place quite a lot....

like the post above I would email Andrew/HMS to get more info on your wood choices

Last edited:
Big fan of Pono & HMS here. Purchased an acacia AT tenor before I knew anything. I have purchased a custom I love and a another big name tenor I like a lot but still love my Pono. My advice, listen to wood combo'S you like and buy up the line as high as you are comfy..... They are all good. I will add another Pono in future but likely never sell my AT. Probably a Pro Classis with spruce.rosewood or one of the MT2-S spruce top.mahogany. The latter in between series (between AT, MT, MGT and Pro Classis ) is a real value. Love the Matt finish on Pono but also like the gloss.

More compression is what gloss gives for sound. I don't think you can beat a Pono.

Kimo says you gotta like the sound of your Uke but you also gotta like the look and playability of your Uke.

Nuff said....happy hunting.

Lots of help here. I can't add anything to that! There is a Pono dealer nearby, but I only know one Pono owner. She rarely plays, but won't sell it to me.....
Let us know how it's going.

My first "serious" uke was a used Pono ATD. I love it! To me it has a nice sweet tone, nice sustain, and plays real easy! It's hard to put down sometimes. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Pono to someone.

I just got my new Pono MGTD from HMS, about a month ago. I originally did't order the deluxe, but after talking with Andrew I upgraded to the deluxe and I'm glad I did. I was really interested in the Mango color and grain. According to Andrew, and the Pono website, the deluxe comes with upgrade wood. Plus the satin finish helps to display the color and grains of the Mango.

Besides the satin finish, the deluxe currently includes an ebony fret board and bridge, gold "open" Grover tuners, and ebony tuner knobs/buttons,

I got mine with the Ko'olau hard shell case, Pono pick-up, G & C wound strings, and an extra strap button on the tail block. i also got the upgraded Oasis OH18.

I just got my new Pono MGTD from HMS, Plus the satin finish helps to display the color and grains of the Mango.

Besides the satin finish, the deluxe currently includes an ebony fret board and bridge, gold "open" Grover tuners, and ebony tuner knobs/buttons,

I got mine with the Ko'olau hard shell case, Pono pick-up, G & C wound strings, and an extra strap button on the tail block. i also got the upgraded Oasis OH18.

I thought the MTGD had gloss finish. Did they change the finish?
That was the one drawback for me. I loved the ebony fret board of my MTD but not the compression of a gloss finish.
I searched HMS and the MGTD Andrew plays is gloss, which is more compressed than the sound of my MGT and the MGT sampled on HMS.
My two cents.

Last edited:
If it was me... I'd call Andrew and see if he's got that atd-2, or whatever they're calling it today.
Cedar top, acacia back, radius'd fretboard. Sort of a poor mans PC without the slot head or the extra bling.

Same price as the cutaway though, but no cut away.
I think it's like the fancy stuff, without the fancy price of the bling.

I have an ATSH-PC, but it's been a struggle to string it so that it speaks. It kinda needs powerful strings to drive the sound board. I've got mahana wound 3rd/4th, and oasis 1st/second on now, and it's better. I think it does need wound 3|4 strings to get the most out of it.

If you go with the atd-2 the cedar top will be easier to drive with more string sets.

+1 on this recommendation. I have one and it is a excellent ukulele at a good price. I also have Ko'olau and Koaloha tenors. This Pono holds its own.

Top Bottom