What are you using to tune your ukulele?

What method are you using to tune your ukulele?

• Inexpensive digital clip-on tuner

Votes: 75 62.5%
  • Higher-end digital clip-on tuner (Strobe etc)

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Other type of dedicated electronic tuner

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Mobile, computer, phone, or online tuner app

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • Tuning Fork

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Pitch Pipe

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Recorded reference tone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other instruments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By ear

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Other method of tuning (please specify)

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

Mivo

Reaction score
For the most part, I just use a cheap clip-on tuner (the sub-$10 kind) to tune my ukuleles, because they are inexpensive and for non-musical me it was an obvious choice when I started out. Recently I picked up a tuning fork and a strobe tuner (a PolyTune clip, which hasn't arrived yet) in the hope that these may help with improving the accuracy of my hearing also, at least in the long run.

There are quite a few different ways to tune the instrument and check whether it's tuned properly. Which is your preferred method that you use most often these days?

I added a poll, because polls are fun! :)

Is the Peterson worth the price vs. a cheaper clip-on, (which is what I use)? I have eyed the Peterson, (tax refund is coming!), but don't know how to decide if I'd gain anything from it. I don't play with others, but would like something that is accurate.

Generally, I use a clip-on Snark tuner, but I also occasionally use iStroboSoft, an iPhone app, as a second opinion. They usually agree, but not always.

I use a NS micro clip on. Not sure if you call it inexpensive or high end clip on. Works well for me.

I use a cheap Eno clip on tuner, although I do use the 'chromatic' setting and usually check the tuning open and at the first three frets, for a bit of extra accuracy. I like the design of this tuner - I have another clip on that was twice the price and I never use it.

I use a NS micro clip on. Not sure if you call it inexpensive or high end clip on. Works well for me.

This is a good point. By higher-end tuners, I mean e.g. the strobo-type of tuners, like the Peterson Stroboclip or the PolyTune that someone recently mentioned. Basically, the $50+ devices that may provide more accuracy (haven't received mine yet, so can't compare) as they use a different technology than the (by now) more generic clip-on tuners. Not a very solid definition, I admit. :) I, too, am curious about the differences in accuracy, and I'll report back on the PolyTune when it arrives (probably Friday or Saturday).

I use NS micro tuners. I have them on most of my ukuleles and leave them permanently attached. I tune with the tuner then check by ear and tweak if necessary.

I used a Snark a lot but recently I've switched to using an app on my phone called insTuner because it has a handy note wheel and also shows the octave of the note which helps when playing around with different tunings and transposing.

I have a Korg CA-30 digital tuner, but I prefer to just use an inexpensive pitch pipe to give me the high G. After that, I tune the rest of the strings by ear.

I use a Peterson Stroboclip

Me too. I wouldn't have spent that much money, it was left to me by my late partner.
I also use the piano, when I am near it.

My preferred method is my istrobosoft ios app. it has some very sophisticated options especially with the in app purchases. I just downloaded a harmonics tuning option which will show you the upper harmonics and you can really dial in the intonation. The basic app itself works very well, and i have a clip on accessory that allows me to connect it from the headphone output and clip to the headstock.

I have the following
* Peterson Stroboclip
* TC Eletronic Polytune
* NS Micro
* A range of other clip on tuners in the $10-$20 range (ex. Korg, Intelli, etc)
* iPhone apps (ultimate guitar and Music Notes--the latter of which is a fantastic free app)

The best one by far in my opinion is the Polytune. It has the best features of the Stroboclip but in a smaller package, more readable, lighter, and cheaper, and in color.

The NS Micro was nice, but startup was annoyingly slow. And even though it felt lightweight, I typically took it off after use b/c I tend to store my instruments for long periods of time and didn't want the clip to somehow cause uneven aging of the finish.

That said, if I were starting today, I'd just go with a Snark. Those things look great for the price.

I like the new Snark HTZ tuner. Not because of the tuning to HTZ feature, frankly don't think it applies to ukulele. At least I never figured out How to use it but..............because it's 40%smaller, tracks with very stable, accurate tuning and because they made a much better joint holding clip to the body. Just had a Snark Super tight start to weaken at the ball joint. Plastic in cracking. It's only a matter of time now.. I will add another HTZ. To replace.
My .02 cents worth

If my uke (bass uke) did not come with a preamp with built in tuner, I installed it myself. I still have one uke without one (for now) for which I use a D'Addario (Planet Waves) micro clip on tuner, which I also use on three of my solid body bass ukes, on two others I use the new flip up D'Addario clip on tuner.

I have the following
* Peterson Stroboclip (most used)
* NS Micro
* Snark (Black)

Back in the late 80's I bought a Korg GT-60X to compliment my usa warlock. Since it is a fixture in that guitars case and chromatic tuners are the norm today when I bought a new tuner for ukulele I bought a clip on Korg PC-1. I have a handful of first gen micro tuners but find using only one tuner saves on battery cost greatly. I am a clip on tune and take it off type only using it when I can hear it is out of tune.

I also found cheap batteries run 6 or 8 to 1 name brand battery so buying name brand is more economical.

The other day when down tuning my 20's 30's Harmony for storage I was plunking around on a seriously out of tune instrument having much fun. I may have found my niche.

:music:

Not so many snarks here... I'm surprised to see that.

I could not pass up a $2 many-name clip-on tuner, delivered to my doorstep.
It works, has multiple functions, but does not inspire confidence.

With new strings on my ukes, it is still a re-tuning blitz around here.
Whichever tuner comes up at the top of the list with a google search is what seems most accurate, to me.
Then, I go back to the little digital clip-on, to see what it thinks... and I warm tones when chords or tab progressions don't quite cut it.

I use a free downloaded program for my fiddle, and am very happy with it.
Need to find a d/l able one for the ukes...
More confidence in them that the cheapo clip-ons.
I would spring for the newest version of the snark.

Good thread! Thanks for all the input, and I also like polls.
rc

Top Bottom