PDA

View Full Version : Polished wound C string

Ukulelerick9255
03-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Anyone know of a single string or set besides southcoast with a polished C string. I'm looking for something like the Fremont soloist low g only in C. The D'addario Nyltech C squeaks to much and southcoast is always out of stock.

spookelele
03-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Oasis was experimenting with one, not sure where that went.

Some people have suggested Thomastik-Infeld CF27. It's a guitar string, but it's flat wound. It was not bad. TI has a different tone than the solist though.

Also, GHS has an alu wound C "H-T13". Not sure if thats flat/polished though, as I've not used it.

WhenDogsSing
03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
I just bought some D'Addario .024" diameter wound classical guitar strings from JustStrings. They work very well for a wound C. Here is a link:

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-nyl024w.html

hollisdwyer
03-03-2016, 12:26 PM
I just bought some D'Addario .024" diameter wound classical guitar strings from JustStrings. They work very well for a wound C. Here is a link:

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-nyl024w.html

Thanks for this. I really like wound bases for my Boat Paddle ML tenor and Barron River 8 string. Especially for the 8 string it is hard to find suitable sets. I think I am going to have to put together custom sets with a standard 4 string set as the starting point.

bariukish
03-04-2016, 03:50 AM
I have just replaced the strings on my Boat Paddle tenor with a set of LaBella Tenor Uke set No.12. The 3rd string is aluminum over nylon. I tried several different brands and could not get away from the "thud" sound I was hearing on the c string on unwound sets. This set really does a great job with volume and sustain. In fact the whole set is very will balanced. I can't comment yet on their durability but they are relatively inexpensive. I highly recommend these. They have ended my long search for some strings that give me great feedback i've been looking for. I might experiment with a wound 4th string next. The search never ends, does it.

Jon Moody
03-04-2016, 03:59 AM
Also, GHS has an alu wound C "H-T13". Not sure if thats flat/polished though, as I've not used it.

At this point, no it's not. It doesn't have a ton of "squeak" at all, given the metal used. However, when put in context of three other nylon strings, that's usually exacerbated somewhat.

Recstar24
03-04-2016, 05:36 AM
For those of you that are hearing Thuddy 3rd strings, what kind are they, and what is the diameter? I have yet to hear a Thuddy 3rd string on uke, only on guitar. I use solely flourocarbon and at those densities and gauges which are sub .030" I just don't hear it coming close to thudding.

Ukulelerick9255
03-04-2016, 12:12 PM
The oasis was very squeaky....the only polished C I have found so far is in a set from Southcoast but always out of stock.

Soundbored
03-04-2016, 02:29 PM
For those of you that are hearing Thuddy 3rd strings, what kind are they, and what is the diameter? I have yet to hear a Thuddy 3rd string on uke, only on guitar. I use solely flourocarbon and at those densities and gauges which are sub .030" I just don't hear it coming close to thudding.

@Recstar24: I have a "thuddy" 3rd (C) string on my Anuenue solid mahogany standard. They are D'Addario "Nyltech" strings. My low G on that uke is a wound D'Addario Pro Arte guitar D string. Sounds good. The Nyltechs... not so much.

My Kala SMHS has Martin flourocarbons and an Augustine "black" wound string on low G. Great sound, and no thud.

flailingfingers
03-04-2016, 03:26 PM
The oasis was very squeaky....the only polished C I have found so far is in a set from Southcoast but always out of stock.

Just got am email "bulletin" today from Southcoast. They have been adjusting their ML-WB set a bit. Said all sets should be fully in stock in 2 weeks. There is a reason they're always out. They are very good and the demand has been great. Worth waiting for.

spookelele
03-04-2016, 05:18 PM
I've had bad luck with the ML-WB's.
They sound good initially, but stretch alot.
The wounds stretch for a long time, and then they sound kinda.. off.
The FC's, shred I'm on my 3rd set now. The 1 string especially wears out fast.
Both of the first 2 sets did this. Set 1 was from the very first batch. Set 2 and 3 were from the second batch.

I hope they get it worked out.

stevepetergal
03-05-2016, 05:35 AM
I pursued this very thing for a few years. I tried many different strings trying to liven up that #3. My choices, it turned out were embrace the squeak of wound strings (personal opinion that the "flat-wound" options offer little to no difference) or use technique to emphasize third string sound when necessary. Neither is a perfect solution, but I went with technique even though my low-G instruments have wound #4's.